Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: THE TANGENT - "Proxy" November 16

The more I listen to this one, the more I like it. Great songs, and a nice variety too. Plus, I'm really glad that he made a "finished" version of Supper's Off because that was a really good track.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The more I listen to this one, the more I like it. Great songs, and a nice variety too. Plus, I'm really glad that he made a "finished" version of Supper's Off because that was a really good track.
    Is Supper's Off the track he released as a sort of single a few years back?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm not sure -- he might have! The way I knew of it was from the companion CD he released of stuff from the writing sessions for Le Sacre du Travail, called L'Etagere du Travail. "Supper's Off" contains some of my favorite lyrics from Tillison (although on this new version, he has changed some of them).

Have you heard Proxy?

I'm not sure -- he might have! The way I knew of it was from the companion CD he released of stuff from the writing sessions for Le Sacre du Travail, called L'Etagere du Travail. "Supper's Off" contains some of my favorite lyrics from Tillison (although on this new version, he has changed some of them).

Have you heard Proxy?
    I don't think it was ever released as a single but it was often singled out by fans as one of the best tracks among those not on the official albums. He did tone down the lyrics on this new version, removing most of the name checks and making it a little less specific.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Same song, new version.
    The original lyrics are way better though.
    The Prog Corner

And Super's Off is NOT on the vinyl release.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    And Super's Off is NOT on the vinyl release.
    But *is* on the CD that comes with the LP. I guess InsideOut didn't want to spring for the cost of a double album this time around.

I couldn't think of any serious criticisms: MusicTAP (Orange) Vinyl Review

Quote Originally Posted by Craigory View Post
    I couldn't think of any serious criticisms: MusicTAP (Orange) Vinyl Review
    Well written, sir. Such a great LP. Tillison should be knighted...
    The Prog Corner

This is excellent.. Loving it..

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Well written, sir. Such a great LP. Tillison should be knighted...
    Knighted, eh. I wonder if he'd accept it?

Heard this for the first time this morning.....WOW!!! Tangent just keeps getting better and better! Once again this will be in my top 5 of the year! The drumming is fantastic: very intricate! Reminds me of early King Crimson in parts, early Yes in others.....Thanks again Andy & Co.!!!!
    So much music....so little time....

Yeah, I love this album.

It's possibly even better than Slow Rust, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and definitely better than A Spark In The Ether, which I still liked quite a lot.

Nothing so far has topped Le Sacre du Travail for me. That's Andy's crowning achievement IMO, but he has yet to release a "bad" CD (even Down And Out In Paris And London still had its moments).

Andy's a great guy and a great musician. Hope he sticks around for many years to come.

It's possibly even better than Slow Rust, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and definitely better than A Spark In The Ether, which I still liked quite a lot.
    For me it is the opposite order. Spark in the Aether, Slow Rust and then Proxy. But there is no bad Tangent album. They are all excellent. We just have our favorites.

I'm also loving this one as well as the last several (all of them, really.) I still think Slow Rust is possibly the best one he's ever done, but this is a very worthy followup.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Proxy is a pretty solid entry in their catalog. This and Solid Rust both make me believe Andy still has a lot more to say.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    For me it is the opposite order. Spark in the Aether, Slow Rust and then Proxy. But there is no bad Tangent album. They are all excellent. We just have our favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm also loving this one as well as the last several (all of them, really.) I still think Slow Rust is possibly the best one he's ever done, but this is a very worthy followup.
    Good choices! It's interesting how different our Tangent preferences are.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    This and Solid Rust both make me believe Andy still has a lot more to say.
    Completely agree with you.