Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Is Genesis "Selling England by the Pound" the most perfect Prog album ever?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    If we're talking about Trick, there has to be a call out the beautiful Fall album, Wind and Wuthering. I picked it up upon its release.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Surprised over the Trick praises. Thought I was alone in thinking Genesis' all era's best album is A Trick of the Tail
    Going way back, but when I was in the Genesis Information fan club in the late 70s through late 80s, they printed periodic fanzines about the band and the club. At one point, I think before Duke came out, they ran a poll asking for the member's favorite Genesis album. The winner was A Trick Of The Tail. This was a fairly large club with membership on both sides of the Atlantic.

I still consider Selling England by the pound my favorite Genesis album.

Trick and Wind are my fave Genesis albums, perfect prog 10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Nope. That album is almost flawless. Nowadays Ripples goes on a bit long for me but that is a *very* minor quibble.
    Yeah, I'd have saved some 90 seconds or Ripples in exchange for 90 seconds for a guitar or KB solo in the title track

I know some think the Trick-Track is the weaker track, but it happens that it's not far from my fave, and having lasting some 8 minutes wouldn't bother me the least.
    Last edited by Trane; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:14 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My Genesis top-5:

1. Foxtrot *****
    2. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway ****½
    3. Nursery Cryme ****½
    4. A Trick Of The Tail ****½
    5. Selling England By The Pound ****½
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

My favorite Genesis album, but I have never been a big fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    My Genesis top-5:

1. Foxtrot *****
    2. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway ****½
    3. Nursery Cryme ****½
    4. A Trick Of The Tail ****½
    5. Selling England By The Pound ****½
    Foxtrot with the epic Supper's Ready. With which Hackett still closes his shows....not counting the encores.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

All the albums from Nursery Crime to Wind and Wuthering are as near as damn it perfect. Selling England my favourite by a fag paper.

In Scotland we would say 'by a baw hair'.....

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    All the albums from Nursery Crime to Wind and Wuthering are as near as damn it perfect. Selling England my favourite by a fag paper.
    Me too. Horses for Courses as far as a selection. Order of preference. pretty well down to how long I have left them alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I know some think the Trick-Track is the weaker track, but it happens that it's not far from my fave, and having lasting some 8 minutes wouldn't bother me the least.
    That is one of the greatest songs on the album! After the journey through, we have this wonderful Tony track, and my God it is fantastic. Played perfectly by everyone. I didn't get it at the time but l get it now as a wink from Tony Banks, that they were still out there, as non-conformists.

The best Genesis album.

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    I could not agree more... 6 perfect LP's to me although my favorite changes from Foxtrot to The Lamb to Trick periodically. Based on my listening and tastes over the years I can't think of a band that had that great of a run... again to me. Yes came close. The Yes Album through Going for the One is just exceptional, other than Tales, at least to me. I'm in the "never quite got Tales" camp. The other 5 are absolute perfection to me. Camel just came to mind, the 4 LP's from Mirage through Rain Dances are all pretty damn perfect to me.

/\/\/\
    The classic 7 Moodies albums are pretty impressive and many other artists like Bowie had great runs. But those stand out in the prog scene.

Figure here is as good a place as any …

Abacab are a truly fine Genesis band, and they’ve got a bit of a tour going.

https://www.abacabtmog.com/

I’ve seen them four or five times now (pretty sure they’re based in or around Charlotte). They have a lot of fun with the material. I keep going to see them because they always put on a good show.

If you have a chance to see the show, don’t pass it up.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Yes, we saw Abacab in Raleigh in 2022 the Friday nite before ProgDay that year. We talked to them right before their gig....they happened to go to the same restaurant as we did. Really cool and friendly guys. We know their dummer Matthew.

They play songs from all of Genesis discography including (if I remember) some of Collins solo stuff. The singer also plays drums during the instrumentals.

Just to re-ignite this for fun, l think the most perfect prog album might be Nude, by Camel.

Just to re-ignite this for fun, l think the most perfect prog album might be Nude, by Camel.
    Is there such a thing as the most perfect prog album?

I would nominate Live- Traumstadt by Hoelderlin.

I remember reading Prog-Rock fanzines from the UK in the early-mid 80s, and Nude was held in high regard by many of those "publishers." When I finally heard it, I was seriously underwhelmed. Revisits have not changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    We, the people of Progressive Ears, in order to form a more perfect prog album, establish odd meters, insure lengthy epics, provide uncommon lyrics, promote the general hysteria, and secure the blessings of Jon Anderson for ourselves and our posteriors, do ordain and establish yet another poll.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^ I'm not sure I like my posterior being involved in that sort of thing.

The eons are closing
    Jon "blessing" my posterior ain't gonna happen.

Not that there's anything wrong with those who would go for that...

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Wish You Were Here.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Wish You Were Here.
    I prefer Animals, though I could perhaps do without Pigs on a wing.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I remember reading Prog-Rock fanzines from the UK in the early-mid 80s, and Nude was held in high regard by many of those "publishers." When I finally heard it, I was seriously underwhelmed. Revisits have not changed that.
    I hate it when we agree on something, Larry....

It feels like I went wrong somewhere down the line.

never understood the hoopla about Nude, but then again ditto for Snow Goose. not gifted enough instrumentalists to go full-instrumental, IMHO.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.