Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Grobschnitt - Jumbo

Grobschnitt lyrics were never really good neither in English or German but they were often linked to their stage show and/or presented private jokes . Nevertheless they started to get better when they decided to sing in German IMO One of my favourite tracks was recorded during the German Jumbo sessions and released as a single ' Sonnenflug ' based on the myth of Ikarus which back then could also be perceived as warning against nuclear energy . With Illegal and Razzia they left the fairytale imagery of Rockpommel and had more engaged lyrics mixed with typical Grobschnitt humour. I had listened recently to a couple of 70's concerts released in the Silver Mint series reminding me how entertaining their concerts were.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Grobschnitt lyrics were never really good neither in English or German but they were often linked to their stage show and/or presented private jokes
    I think we can all agree that they improved since their first album. “Symphony” battles with Novalis’ “Banished Bridge” for awful Germ-lish lyrics (“I’m gonna to get you...”)
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

One of my favourite tracks was recorded during the German Jumbo sessions and released as a single ' Sonnenflug '
    Great song.

I always found it confusing that they didn't include it on Jumbo since that album was so short; waaaay shorter than the albums before and after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I think we can all agree that they improved since their first album. “Symphony” battles with Novalis’ “Banished Bridge” for awful Germ-lish lyrics (“I’m gonna to get you...”)
    I think to a certain extent they were aware that their lyrics and prononciation were limited, even so I quite liked Danielaks blues voice. On the first two tracks of Ballermann They made fun of their own accent.
    During the 70s most (West)German rock bands sung in English, the most pathetic were Jane who made during their concerts in Germany all stage announcements in English. My biggest disappointment for Grobschnitt is/was Merry Go Round where they tried to move into West coast territory like Lake with utterly stupid lyrics, Coke train being my least favourite Grobschnitt track.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Great song.

I always found it confusing that they didn't include it on Jumbo since that album was so short; waaaay shorter than the albums before and after it.
    It was recorded during the sessions for the German Jumbo and from memory even foreseen as song for the European Song context, the single didn't sold well, not a surprise seen that they were still an "insider" Band.

I think to a certain extent they were aware that their lyrics and prononciation were limited, even so I quite liked Danielaks blues voice. On the first two tracks of Ballermann They made fun of their own accent.
    During the 70s most (West)German rock bands sung in English, the most pathetic were Jane who made during their concerts in Germany all stage announcements in English. My biggest disappointment for Grobschnitt is/was Merry Go Round where they tried to move into West coast territory like Lake with utterly stupid lyrics, Coke train being my least favourite Grobschnitt track.
    I really like Merry-Go-Round including some of the lyrics. But well, I also like Lake.

Jumbo is a great solid Grobschnitt album (maybe their last one for prog-lovers) but allways sounded too much like a "would be Rockpommel's Land" to my ears, and Rockpommel is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I really like Merry-Go-Round including some of the lyrics.
    The narrative behind “Coke-Train” is genuinely funny. “A.C.Y.M.” is more a barely coherent rant than a song.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Jumbo is a great solid Grobschnitt album (maybe their last one for prog-lovers) but allways sounded too much like a "would be Rockpommel's Land" to my ears, and Rockpommel is much better.
    wouldn't that be the opposite way around??

I mean it's Rockpommel that sounds like Jumbo, since Jumbo was the first one oyt.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    wouldn't that be the opposite way around??

I mean it's Rockpommel that sounds like Jumbo, since Jumbo was the first one oyt.
    Oooops ! You're right. I bought Jumbo after Rockpommel's and allways thought it was posterior . Now it makes more sense... still I prefer the latter. From now on I'll refer to Rockpommel's as an "Improved Jumbo".

Side 1 is really outstanding.

On par with the other first-rate Grobchnitt albums sides such as Side 2 of "Rockpommel's Land" and Side 2 of "Ballermann."

I've never heard it. Wondering, " Is Jumbo worth my while?"

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I've never heard it. Wondering, " Is Jumbo worth my while?"
    Depends a lot on what you heard of Grobschnitt before, it won't be a good starter
    but also certainly not their worst...

I love the instrumental part in Traum und Wirklichkeit between 3.30 and 5 minute. Those cowbells are splendid!

Also the double guitars work excellently together. There's probably some Wishbone Ash influence there.

I think I prefer Jumbo to Rockpommel. But neither is Ballerman. That's an outright Kraut classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    But neither is Ballerman. That's an outright Kraut classic.
    Ballermann is wonderful indeed, although I usually skip the first 9 minutes. Not a fan of those opening 9 minutes.

This question may have been asked already - but who defines what should be featured album?

Quote Originally Posted by Silantyev View Post
    This question may have been asked already - but who defines what should be featured album?
    The admins of this site do.

There was a test run for a similar feature to be run by the members, which didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    There was a test run for a similar feature to be run by the members, which didn't work out.
    I can only imagine how that went...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I can only imagine how that went...
    Cozy and Duncan did ask us first to give them suggestions (which we did in the thread, but there was no continuation) well before asking us to partially take over by us. I think someone did do a couple of Featured Album - can't remember who, though - but that endedd fairly quickly, but TMK, there was no incident.

Not sure why it didn't go further, but my main fear at the time was the choosing of controversial albums or the featured slanted reviews (though there is very little comments about the review itself), which didn't happen.

I can totally understand Dunc & Coz as to why the Featured Albums stay pinned atop for so long (sometimes, its's close to two weeks), because doing it over the years must seem like a chore or a burden (and a thankless one at that), especially that a lot those Featured Album threads barely make it to second page.

Maybe we should try that again. We can take turns, by concertation in a dedicated thread
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.