Thread: The Lemon Twigs - "Go To School"

The Lemon Twigs - "Go To School"

Anyone heard of the new Lemon Twigs record, Go To School? Apparently it's a rock opera/musical about a chimpanzee that's adopted by a couple and raised as a human child. Features none other than Todd Rundgren (in the role of the dad), and musically it's rather diverse with a fair bit of instrumentation (perhaps even more so than their previous Do Hollywood). I already thought that one of the brothers sounded a lot like Rundgren when he was younger, so it seems like a natural progression here IMO.

Pretty wacky... But I'm liking it.

Any takers?

I have their last record and love it. This concept is something i think i can get onboard with.

^^ I love their stuff. I'm not as familiar with Brothers of Destruction, but Do Hollywood was in heavy rotation in my car and at home back in early 2017. And their single "Foolin' Around" reminds me so much of Rundgren (it sounds like it shares some DNA with the song "Slut" from Something/Anything? to my ears).

It's cool to see a couple kids who are so young but heavily influenced by music from wayyyyy before their time. Refreshing, even.

Of course, the fact that they got Todd to appear on this album (on multiple tracks!) is pretty cool too.

It's up on streaming services like Apple Music and Spotify. I've already pre-ordered the vinyl.
    Last edited by aith01; 08-26-2018 at 01:27 AM.

I recall Mike Portnoy mentioning them in a recent interview. I sampled a track or 2 and don't recall being all that into it, but maybe I would need to hear an entire album.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I recall Mike Portnoy mentioning them in a recent interview. I sampled a track or 2 and don't recall being all that into it, but maybe I would need to hear an entire album.
    Their music fares much better when you can hear entire songs, I think. I'd recommend hearing some complete songs at least, because you may end up liking them. And the albums themselves are pretty diverse from one track to the next.

For instance, this one is like doo-wop meets psychedelic pop (or something).

I love them, and saw them perform the new album at a launch show in London ten days ago. It was a small room above a pub, totally packed, last time in town they sold out 2,000 plus tickets, but this was pretty much word of mouth fans only. The part of Todd was taken by their actual Dad, with their Mum doing her album role too. It was great, they are something else entirely live, but this stage was so small that there wasn’t space for the leaps of faith from the drum riser, the high kicks were restricted by low ceilings!

I think they ar a brilliant live band and have seen them three times now. It was my daughter who put me on to them, she said you will love these, and the Todd influence had me from the start. Do Hollywood is a great first album. Brothers of Destruction is an EP, but much in the same vein and worth getting. I haven’t had much time with the new one since the gig, but after a few spins I’m very positive. I think they have played live with Todd too, guesting at a festival, so they are well connected to their rock and soul lineage.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    I love them, and saw them perform the new album at a launch show in London ten days ago. It was a small room above a pub, totally packed, last time in town they sold out 2,000 plus tickets, but this was pretty much word of mouth fans only. The part of Todd was taken by their actual Dad, with their Mum doing her album role too. It was great, they are something else entirely live, but this stage was so small that there wasn’t space for the leaps of faith from the drum riser, the high kicks were restricted by low ceilings!

I think they ar a brilliant live band and have seen them three times now. It was my daughter who put me on to them, she said you will love these, and the Todd influence had me from the start. Do Hollywood is a great first album. Brothers of Destruction is an EP, but much in the same vein and worth getting. I haven’t had much time with the new one since the gig, but after a few spins I’m very positive. I think they have played live with Todd too, guesting at a festival, so they are well connected to their rock and soul lineage.
    That sounds like a lot of fun! I've never seen them live, so I'm a bit jealous. But thank you for sharing.

I'm with you on the Todd influence. That was what grabbed me when I first heard Do Hollywood about a year and a half ago, and I immediately went out and bought it on vinyl. Funny thing I noticed: On the Hulu series "The Runaways", their song 'I Wanna Prove To You' was playing on a car radio in one scene in an early episode.

Still getting my mind around the new one as well, but so far I'm liking it a lot. For these kids to be so young and yet seemingly so well-versed in this stuff, it's pretty amazing IMO.

Yeah, Van Dyke Parks meets Rundgren with a dash of Sondheim! Best record of the year for me, yea!!

I have the 'Do Hollywood' album and like it a lot, reminds me of Harry Nilsson during his more experimental days. Will definitely be checking out their new album for sure.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/rabidrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I have the 'Do Hollywood' album and like it a lot, reminds me of Harry Nilsson during his more experimental days. Will definitely be checking out their new album for sure.
    Ah yeah, Harry Nilsson! I didn’t even think about him, but yep, I can totally see that connection. Good call!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Ah yeah, Harry Nilsson! I didn’t even think about him, but yep, I can totally see that connection. Good call!
    I'm not really familiar with the Harry Nilsson works you're talking about... I've read he made LOTS of albums, suggest me one or two of those that made you think of The Lemon Twigs!

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    I'm not really familiar with the Harry Nilsson works you're talking about... I've read he made LOTS of albums, suggest me one or two of those that made you think of The Lemon Twigs!
    Most notable are his two earlier releases Pandemonium Shadow Show, and Aerial Ballet. Eventually, some of the best tracks were combined and in some cases reworked into what was called 'Aerial Pandemonium Ballet'. What made me make a connection between Harry's work and the Lemon Twigs was their fearlessness and diversity, two qualities Harry Nilsson had in large amounts.
    "And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Geech View Post
    Most notable are his two earlier releases Pandemonium Shadow Show, and Aerial Ballet. Eventually, some of the best tracks were combined and in some cases reworked into what was called 'Aerial Pandemonium Ballet'. What made me make a connection between Harry's work and the Lemon Twigs was their fearlessness and diversity, two qualities Harry Nilsson had in large amounts.
    Thanks so much!
    These albums are great... and I didn't know this story about "pandemonium Shadow Show...

Nilsson’s debut was far from a commercial breakthrough, but blew away most everyone who came in contact with it. Igniting a firestorm was Beatles’ publicist Derek Taylor, who was so impressed when he heard it on a visit to LA that he purchased a case of LPs and handed out copies to all of his friends upon his return to London. After receiving his, John Lennon famously listened to it non-stop for 36 hours straight. The Beatles invited Nilsson to join them in the studio during the recording of The White Album and is rumored to have even considered adding him as a fifth member of the group.

The last two Lemon Twigs albums are really great, and their use of chords progressions and harmonies are really excellent. Times are mostly 4/4, but played with great taste. However, this song is from the album before the last two, and I think it really fits here.

I'm checking out some of the band's music and I'm liking it so far. The vocalist sounds incredibly close to 70's Todd Rundgren.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

no doubt there is a huge inspiration there. I first heard of this band because they appeared on Todd's last album, it caught my ear because I thought the Lemon Twigs track was the one that really did sound like classic Todd. their new album puts a big smile on my face, it's very much influenced straight up by The Beatles and The Beach Boys but they do it well enough that I don't really care.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

A buddy of mine turned me on to them in Florida back in March. Don't own any albums yet, but I dig what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    The last two Lemon Twigs albums are really great, and their use of chords progressions and harmonies are really excellent. Times are mostly 4/4, but played with great taste. However, this song is from the album before the last two, and I think it really fits here.

They had fallen off my radar in recent years, but thanks to your post I have been listening to the last two albums over the past week and I really am enjoying them. The influences were always there but they have clearly taken a turn for the more classic melodic and orchestrated symphonic pop. Very much worth exploring if you have a penchant for such sounds. I wonder if their live performances these days show similar restraint? They used to be a bundle of rocking energy on stage.