Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Glass Hammer Announce "Chronomonaut" Concept Album For October 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I'm lovin the guitar work on this album..well, I'm loving everything about this album.
    Truly an adventurous journey both musically and lyrically.
    We've listened to it twice(Fri and Sun(music nights at our house)) and it just sounds wonderful. Too hard to put into words, I'm not one to dissect every musical passage, solo, instrument, etc, as I like to listen to things as a whole.
    The playing on this is superb, Suzie's vocals are heavenly,Matthew's vocals on The Past is Past takes GH music to a new level and place, the new guy's(Patton Locke's) vocals are great too, and then Steve's, Fred's and Aaron's drumming are wonderful, the writing and music is 5 stars.

One can tell you had fun, and there are moments where you really go outside the GH box, which to me is a good thing.
    I can see where some GH fans may not like this album or some of the songs, but anyone who's been following GH for any amount of time, know you are about change and adapting, and lord knows you've HAD to do a lot of adapting over the years..

Congrats Glass Hammer(everyone involved), you've written, recorded and released a fantastic record. I love it(so does my wife <3)

oh BTW, for us oldersters, can you PLEASE make the printing a little bigger, I can't even read it with my reading glasses using the bright hood light above the oven.
    I will pay extra next time for the extra page or two it takes in the booklet.
    I feel your pain on the print size! Glad to hear your wife loves it too. Patton is a local singer who records at our studio and has never been exposed to prog rock until Chronomonaut. We think he did great. Glad you agree!

Just listened to it for the first time yesterday in my car on my trip home from work. Great!!! So surprised at track 10! Parts sound like Chicago and BS&T! What a surprise!!! Me thinks y’all need to play at City Winery in Atlanta soon! Yep! That’s what me thinks! Love the whole album!! Great mix of old and new! Congrats on making my top 10 releases again this year!!
    So much music....so little time....

I like the Chicago influence on this one. Makes for a different GH experience. But Matthew's vocals...

...next level stuff there.

(But he's always incredible IMO.)

Well done, Fred, Steve, Suzie and Aaron.
    The Prog Corner

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I like the Chicago influence on this one. Makes for a different GH experience. But Matthew's vocals...

...next level stuff there.

(But he's always incredible IMO.)

Well done, Fred, Steve, Suzie and Aaron.
    It's not Chicago....more like Manfred Mann Chapter 3.

I've been listening to this for a few days, and here are some initial thoughts.

I commend the tasteful guitar solo playing, with a very pleasing distortion that reminds me of what Justin Hayward would have used in the Moody Blues.

I think Mathew Parmenter's voice is an excellent fit for this material. Good choice! First time I heard Patton's voice I thought George Dobbs from 3rdegree
    had been recruited! Susie's voice of course is still angelic.

Love the vibe and feel; the entire album is very listenable, accessible, and catchy. I find random songs from it stuck in my head for days.

I didn't think I would like the inclusion of horns, but I really do! They fit!

As I'd expect with GH, it contains some mean-ass sounding bass and organ.

A Hole In The Sky! What a fun song! Followed by the sequencer-centric interlude that could have been straight off Tangerine Dream's 1981 album Exit
    to serious it up a bit again ... really cool (loved the great chords and sequencer in the later interlude too). Goosebumps, man.

Fade Away is a powerful album closer.

Finally, I really enjoyed the hilarious liner notes.

Awesome piece of work. Great writing. Worthy successor to Chronometree in my book!

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post

I commend the tasteful guitar solo playing, with a very pleasing distortion that reminds me of what Justin Hayward would have used in the Moody Blues.

I think Mathew Parmenter's voice is an excellent fit for this material. Good choice! First time I heard Patton's voice I thought George Dobbs from 3rdegree

Love the vibe and feel; the entire album is very listenable, accessible, and catchy. I find random songs from it stuck in my head for days.

A Hole In The Sky! What a fun song! Followed by the sequencer-centric interlude that could have been straight off Tangerine Dream's 1981 album Exit
    to serious it up a bit again ... really cool (loved the great chords and sequencer in the later interlude too). Goosebumps, man.

Awesome piece of work. Great writing. Worthy successor to Chronometree in my book!
    Thanks for the encouraging words! And....you could read the liner notes! We had fun with the two TD sounding tracks. I expect we'll do some more of that in the future. ::::steve:::::

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Hammer View Post
    Thanks for the encouraging words! And....you could read the liner notes! We had fun with the two TD sounding tracks. I expect we'll do some more of that in the future. ::::steve:::::
    So I can take the truth...are we shit out of luck on the 24bit?

I've listened to the first three songs around 20 times and the rest of the CD maybe twice. And I mean that in a good way.

I'm currently stuck on the outro of "Twilight of the Godz"; that percussive rhythm acoustic guitar is amazing and the lead reminds me of Richard Lloyd/Robert Quine from Matthew Sweet's "Altered Beast" - it's sounds like the notes are "stumbling" through the chord changes. LOVE IT!

Feeling nostalgic today? Here is "1980 Something" (lyric video) from Chronomonaut.

Oh very cool. Hey we know the Glass Hammer people having played with them at Terra Incognita 2014 and ProgStock 2017-and if they ever wanted the REAL George Dobbs I bet he'd do it! Have to hear this now as if we didn't already! I have a feeling we will be seeing each other on the year-end lists coming soon!

I think I have everything the band has recorded, Shadowlands has been my favorite album up till now although there hasn't been a clunker among them but the new album, well I just can't stop listening. I downloaded the new Peter Jones album and Billy Sherwood's Chris Squire Tribute at the same time Chromonaut arrived, I listened to all 3 and Chromonaut has been humming in my Grados ever since, I mean try as I may I can't escape, I'm trapped! Is it prog? Is it AOR fused with prog? Does Chicago sneak in on a few cuts? Whatever the heck it is I love it, how the Hell do I escape? Oh, yeah, where's Todd Rundgren's writing credit for Fade Away? That came off A Wizard A True Star, yes? Helluva job, guys, dunno what you had for breakfast before writing this but don't change the menu, k?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    I think I have everything the band has recorded, Shadowlands has been my favorite album up till now although there hasn't been a clunker among them but the new album, well I just can't stop listening. I downloaded the new Peter Jones album and Billy Sherwood's Chris Squire Tribute at the same time Chromonaut arrived, I listened to all 3 and Chromonaut has been humming in my Grados ever since, I mean try as I may I can't escape, I'm trapped! Is it prog? Is it AOR fused with prog? Does Chicago sneak in on a few cuts? Whatever the heck it is I love it, how the Hell do I escape? Oh, yeah, where's Todd Rundgren's writing credit for Fade Away? That came off A Wizard A True Star, yes? Helluva job, guys, dunno what you had for breakfast before writing this but don't change the menu, k?
    Close! It was on The Hermit Of Mink Hollow actually. But those are both great records.

I've had Chronomonaut on near-constant rotation in my car and with the headphone at work/home. It's great!

Now on about my 5th listen through. I agree that this is a great album. Very different than Valkyrie but it doesn't suffer because of it. This is going to be in my CD player regularly.

Now need to crack open Chronomotree which I got at the same time but haven't had a chance to play yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Nice! I mean, I'm sorry you're trapped and can't escape - but glad too! Yes...Chicago is there for sure. 1 egg fried and 1 piece of toast with butter...every day, same thing. I didn't realize breakfast had anything to do with it but I'll stick with that and see what happens on the next album!

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Oh very cool. Hey we know the Glass Hammer people having played with them at Terra Incognita 2014 and ProgStock 2017-and if they ever wanted the REAL George Dobbs I bet he'd do it! Have to hear this now as if we didn't already! I have a feeling we will be seeing each other on the year-end lists coming soon!

We love 3rd Degree! Hmmm...well there's a thought!

I have this curious experience with prog records. Those I love immediately I almost always end up not really liking over the long run. Those that leave me somewhat nonplussed initially end up being my long term favorites. This album is definately in the latter category. Didn’t really grab me on first listening, but stuck with it and after 10 spins or so it’s in TIS territory for me. Superb ..... Susie has never sounded better, and the vocals totally fit the material. Is there any chance for 24 bit?

Gonna have to try to read the liner notes ..... where is that ottoscope.

This has been on constant repeat since it came out. I like the pace of the songs and varied styles that flow into each other.

Have been listening to this one in the car today. I had to play “Roll For Initiative” three times because it’s just so good. This one has grown on me a lot, and it’s nothing like what I was expecting. That’s a good thing though!
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I have only run through it once and there is a lot there...I need to play it a bunch more.

I sure love the cover and the tee shirt with the same artwork.

Man, still digging this album. Memorable, it really is. And get this... I was playing it in the car on a freeway trip back home this afternoon and I SWEAR I saw my wife tapping her foot while she was reading a magazine, during A Hole In the Sky! LOL! You might have a convert from country and pop after all?! Let's hope! Just ordered another copy of this for my brother, who grew up with big headphones and 33 LP's and hearing Yes on AM radio back in the day (but never had the "adventures" Tom did). I know he's going to dig it! He also really liked Chronometree. Thanks again, GH - you really hit one out of the ballpark.

OOH! Before I forget ... was the synth in Melancholy Holiday a slight tip of the hat to Vangelis? I hear it.

At the risk of being obnoxious (too late?), one more post - I almost regret referring to Susie's voice as "angelic," as I'd later read a review of the album and it said the same thing. Wondering if she gets tired of hearing that. I'm thinking that while it's accurate, it is too "easy" of a description! I'll say this- for whatever reason, I prefer male voices in the music I listen to, but I make an exception for Bogdanowicz - and it's easy to do so.

OOH! Before I forget ... was the synth in Melancholy Holiday a slight tip of the hat to Vangelis? I hear it.
    Just went back to listen for myself and I certainly see where you get that. I didn't really think much on it at the time and just picked some cool synth sounds that I liked. I really liked the creepy soundtrack to Sicario and wanted that main synth to sort
    of dip in a really off-putting way - but Fred hated that idea so I relented. On the whole, the piece is my tribute to Angelo Badalamenti and Twin Peaks.
    :::steve::::

:::I almost regret referring to Susie's voice as "angelic," as I'd later read a review of the album and it said the same thing. Wondering if she gets tired of hearing that. :::::

Not tired of it, but she mentioned the other day that she doesn't get the comparison. I don't really either, but it's always taken as a compliment I'm sure

^ Imo, Suzie's vocals are superlative, and one of GH's biggest strengths.