Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Try Anything Once : Alan Parsons

Banned

Try Anything Once : Alan Parsons

This is actually my favorite AP album, perhaps because I’ve heard the more well known too much. This review did remind me of how good the recording is. Best vocal performance by David Pack (Ambrosia) IMO, ironically after APP broke up:

So why, in 2010, am I writing a review for a disc that is nearly 20 years old and is out-of-print? As a "born-again" Alan Parsons fan having recently purchased this album for the first time, I just feel like more should be said on this apparently criminally over-looked disc.

As you are probably aware, this was the first album by Alan Parsons after the "Project" ceased to be with the departure of Eric Wolfson (R.I.P. Eric!). As it is one of the few Alan Parsons discs currently out of print, one must also assume that it did not perform well commercially, at least relative to most of the rest of his catalog. Based on hearing this for the first time recently, that can not be because of the music. (One must assume that this album was the commercial victim of the on-set of grunge...) After several passes through this album now, this has to be one of his better sets of music overall and certainly one the most satisfying to listen to, as a whole, since at least Ammonia Avenue. (one of my top 3 APP albums)

Rather than go through a song-by-song description of this album, I will hit on a few highlights. The disc, as a whole, is an essay on our search for self-worth, both inside and outside. The album has a slightly dark feel in that, for most of the songs, he highlights our failures in this search, all while you feel that the answer is right outside our grasp, floating along with us. This theme is at once both apparent and yet subtle throughout.

This disc contains four instrumentals, all very good in their own right. Two of them stand out, Jigue and Re-Jigue. These two pieces are a recasting of a basic Scottish or Irish melody (It sounds familiar but, as yet, I have not been able to identify the original.) These two pieces provide for a very interesting study in "Composition 101 - How to develop varients on a theme with in a single composition". It takes this simple melody, casts it at different tempos, changes textures with different instruments and harmonies, and at one point, even throws in a saxophone (in an celtic piece - and this actually seems to work!) to make for a very involving listen. Re-jigue takes that same theme and creates a symphonic version which could have come straight from a good movie score.

The next interesting point of note is the involvement of David Pack on several of these songs. I believe this is the first (and last time?) David performed on a Alan Parsons release. This would seem to be a paring that should have worked together far more often. There are three songs, The Three of Me, I'm Talkin to You, and Oh Life, which he sings on. All three are good songs and David sings as well as I have ever heard him sing on any album. In fact, if you are a David Pack or Ambrosia fan, you absolutely must hear Oh Life (There must be more) all the way through. This is the absolute best song on the disc and may be the best single Alan Parsons piece ever. (No, that is not hyperbole.) It is certainly David Pack at his very best!

Two other songs of note are Mr. Time and Back Against the Wall. Mr. Time includes a female lead singer (I do not have her name with me at this point) who sings a classic female lead vocal similar to those on Eve and Pyramid. Back Against the Wall is a very good song in the same vein as up-tempo pieces from several of the albums in the 80s. This brings me to my final point.

Listening to Try Anything Once, you get a sense that Alan Parsons is both closing out his APP era and starting to look forward. The music is at once both reminiscent of the groups previous out-put while presenting some strong hints at potential future direction. It is clear that Alan does not see his musical identity wrapped up with Alan Parsons Project, while it is also clear that he has a great love for that history as well. As such, this album presents a very compelling colleague of all things APP, from the over-reaching theme, to the music, right down to the (of course) pristeen production. Yet, there is a "new feel", relative to Alan Parsons, that is moving along within this disc as well. This is even further highlighted if you listen to Gaudi and Try Anything Once in order.

For this reason, I recommend getting your hands on a copy and try it again, and again, and again. To paraphrase, "you can't just listen to it once!"

This is definitely one of my favorite Alan Parsons solo albums.
    I am a big David Pack fan and his vocals on several songs are amongst his best in my opinion. I never thought we'd hear David sing again, because following his departure from Ambrosia he had a severe ear medical issue in one of his ears and he either temporarily or permanently lost his hearing in it, and he himself said he didn't think he'd sing again.
    Also Jaqui Copland's vocals on Mr Time are also a highlight of that album.
    Good vibes and great music make this album a A++++++ for me.

I have to say I've been disappointed in Alan's release of Live in Colombia, there is something quite off about that concert, and I can't help wonder why he filmed it there and with the musicians he used.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Big fan of this one too, and agree Pack hits it out of the park with "Oh Life".

This a great album and I think it still stands up. The "jigue" instrumentals rank with the best APP has done, IMHO and yeah, those Pack vocals are wonderful.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I have to say I've been disappointed in Alan's release of Live in Colombia, there is something quite off about that concert, and I can't help wonder why he filmed it there and with the musicians he used.
    I'd say that the Live in Columbia release had the same problems as Try Anything Once; they tried to move toward the template of rockin' rock band. A particular example is the Columbia version of "Prime Time". This might be the strongest song in their post-1980 output, but its best feature -- the sinuous interplay between the guitar and bass lines -- was sacrificed to have a jammin' guitar solo. It feels like a policy decision, and not one that plays to the strengths of either Parsons or the APP music.

Can't believe we're writing about Parsons on PE. Can we do The National next?
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I'd say that the Live in Columbia release had the same problems as Try Anything Once; they tried to move toward the template of rockin' rock band. A particular example is the Columbia version of "Prime Time". This might be the strongest song in their post-1980 output, but its best feature -- the sinuous interplay between the guitar and bass lines -- was sacrificed to have a jammin' guitar solo. It feels like a policy decision, and not one that plays to the strengths of either Parsons or the APP music.

There've been lots of Parsons threads.

a great sounding album, but for one of the best producers in the business you'd expect nothing less.
    i have all of his post Project albums and this is the first and the best. the production makes this album.
    all the tracks are good, Oh Life is my favorite.

Can we do The National next?
    Bring it! Though it might be only three or four people on the thread.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Big fan of this one too, and agree Pack hits it out of the park with "Oh Life".
    Absolutely! That is amazing song.

"Breakaway" wasn't mentioned with the instrumentals. I think that's a big highlight of the album.

I actually went to a listening party for this album's release at a recording studio in Philadelphia hosted by WMMR. The combination of the high end studio playback equipment and the pristine production of this album made for a hell of an experience. The album was played VERY loudly, but the quality was so good that it didn't hurt our ears. Good memory for this album.
    Chad

Love this album...And didn't Chris Thompson sing a couple on here too? I've always loved his voice. Anyway, as a LONG time APP fan (My very first "favorite" band, and the group that started me on the path that had led me to making my living as a musician today), I rank this one right up there with the project albums. I agree that it holds on to much of what made the project special (not including, unfortunately, Eric's angelic voice) but also looks ahead into new territory. Highly recommended.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Banned
    The personnel on Try Anything Once:

Alan Parsons – synthesizer, acoustic guitar, bass, flute, background vocals, producer
    Ian Bairnson – synthesizer, bass, guitar, pedal steel guitar, background vocals
    Richard Cottle – synthesizer, saxophone
    Andrew Powell – bass, synthesizer, electric piano, autoharp, orchestra director
    Stuart Elliott – drums, synthesizer
    David Pack – synthesizer, guitar, vocals
    Jeremy Parsons – guitar
    Philharmonia Orchestra – strings
    Graham Preskett – fiddle, violin, mandolin
    Eric Stewart – vocals
    Chris Thompson – vocals
    Jacqui Copland – vocals, background vocals

Banned
    I have taken “Re-Jigue” and the CD to audio stores to test the dynamics of speakers, subjectively of course. People are impressed, including the audio store sales people. One of the strongest rock-symphonic songs from the inventor of cinematic rock. His effort on the Ambrosia albums was sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I have taken “Re-Jigue” and the CD to audio stores to test the dynamics of speakers, subjectively of course. People are impressed, including the audio store sales people. One of the strongest rock-symphonic songs from the inventor of cinematic rock. His effort on the Ambrosia albums was sublime.
    When the album came out I was working in an audio store, and I used it for the same purpose. Many were impressed. The young rap-loving guys were confused.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Easily my favorite Alan Parsons album. I played it to death when it came out. I wasn't familiar with David Pack before I heard this, but that quickly changed. As others have said, that vocal on "Oh Life!" is just spine-tingling. So moving and emotional. And the production on this is just stellar.

I actually thought that Pack sounded a lot like Trevor Rabin on "Three of Me."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Absolutely! That is amazing song.

"Breakaway" wasn't mentioned with the instrumentals. I think that's a big highlight of the album.

I actually went to a listening party for this album's release at a recording studio in Philadelphia hosted by WMMR. The combination of the high end studio playback equipment and the pristine production of this album made for a hell of an experience. The album was played VERY loudly, but the quality was so good that it didn't hurt our ears. Good memory for this album.
    How bout that - I was also at that studio listening party (I was running a record store at the time) - I remember that fondly as well. They debuted the cool video for "Turn it up" there and I got to meet Michael Tearson as well. Very cool event.

And yeah - LOVE this album. Pack is unreal on "Oh Life" - just fantastic. And I agree with "Breakaway" - it actually reminds in places of the earlier instrumental "Gold Bug"

Too funny! I was there with two friend. One of them was an intern at 'MMR at the time. The video for "Turn It Up" was cool. I went home with a VHS tape of it as a promo item. One of my friends won a poster and gold-plated version of the CD.

FWIW, I always thought Michael Tearson was a dick.
    Chad

Well, yeah.

Interesting. I never met him, but always had the impression that he was a decent guy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Very pretentious douche bag type of a guy.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Bring it! Though it might be only three or four people on the thread.

they need a better approach to their setlist!!

for band that now has a decent catalog, they seem to be very staid in what they play, esp the last 5 songs

I've been watching and buying since Alligator and they haven't been the same for me after High Violet. that said, I've seen them twice on this tour and will one more time at the end of summer at the Mann Music Center
    2trevorsforlife

I think all three of the post-project albums are strong. On Air even cam out on 5.1.

Listening to it now. It's a shame this album has gone OOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    Love this album...And didn't Chris Thompson sing a couple on here too? I've always loved his voice. Anyway, as a LONG time APP fan (My very first "favorite" band, and the group that started me on the path that had led me to making my living as a musician today), I rank this one right up there with the project albums. I agree that it holds on to much of what made the project special (not including, unfortunately, Eric's angelic voice) but also looks ahead into new territory. Highly recommended.
    Thompson was the main lead vocalist when the first Parsons Live Project toured. I think it was after this album, but not totally sure on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Why not? I have always considered them to at the very least be borderline prog. I have every APP / AP album.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Thompson was the main lead vocalist when the first Parsons Live Project toured. I think it was after this album, but not totally sure on that.
    I saw them twice in 1995 touring with Kansas and Thompson was one of two lead singers. He did an incredible job.