Thread: Coated Guitar Strings Question

Coated Guitar Strings Question

I decided to try out coated guitar strings recently, starting with my acoustic guitar. I went for Cleartone strings since they coat all 6 strings, not just the wound ones. They sounded fine to my ears at the beginning, and still sound good two months later. I plan on trying them on my electric guitars next.

So here's my question: Do coated strings cause less wear on frets? In theory, the coating should prevent the metal on metal contact that produces fret wear. But I'd be interested in hearing the experiences of people that have used coated strings for a while.

Maybe...I hadn't thought about that. I use Elixirs on my acoustics. I'm fairly light with my left hand but I play a lot. The first seven frets on my main gig guitar are totally shot, but they're also almost seven years old. The bulk of the wear is under the B and E strings, so I guess that makes sense. I've been meaning to try the Cleartones for something different to do, but I've always been happy with the Elixir Nanowebs.

Thanks for the reply. How many of those 7 years have you been using the Elixirs?

On Electric guitar strings, the nickel plating on nickel plated steel strings tend to only last for approx 24 to 48 playing hours before the interaction with the frets causes it to wear off leaving the steel string to come in contact with the nickel fret. This will vary, e.g. if you only ever play chords, then you may find you wear off the nickel plating faster than somone that just plays solos.

As steel is harder than nickel, it will wear out the fret faster than nickel on nickel.

The coating on coated strings is there to prevent corrosion & build up of gunk in the windings, which helps lenghten the strings playing life. It does give some protection of the nickel plating but not for very long.

Depending on how often you play, there is a case for and a case against using coated strings.

If you just pick us a guitar a couple of times a week, then there is a fantastic reason to use coated strings. However, if you play everyday for a couple of hours a day, then it is probably more ecconomic to use normal strings and replace them regularly.

Most coated strings coat all strings to prevent corrosion, not just the wound strings.

How do you know if you need new guitar strings?

Extract from - http://www.guitarbitz.com/when-to-ch...ar-strings-i44

For Acoustic and Electric guitars
    Couple of questions to answer:

1) Have you had the same strings on for over 2 months?
    2) Are your strings rusty?
    3) Are your strings rough?
    4) Do your strings sound dull?
    5) Had a string break recently?

If you answered yes to any of the above, its probably time to replace your strings.

Because of moisture on your fingers and in the atmosphere, strings corrode and rust over time and their ablility to vibrate diminishes. This not only causes the sound to dull but even worse, the feel of the strings becomes rough and will hurt or even damage your fingers.

Strings can also become brittle from too much vibration, just think of how a paper clip snaps if you twist it too much, the same happens to strings - especially if you use a lot of different tunings.

If you play a lot, say for 2 hours a day every day, then you should look at changing your guitar strings every month.
    If you play less, but still strum most days, the max you should leave them on the guitar would be 2 months.

Strings are quite cheap, about £5 for a set of 6.

There is an alternative to changing your strings this often. You can buy coated strings. These last longer due to a coating on the strings that prevent dirt build up and corrosion. Coated guitar strings tend to last 3 to 5 times longer than normal strings, so you can leave them on for longer. These still need to be changed though. At least every 6 months these should be changed as they are also prone to breaking because of the vibrations of the string as explained earlier using the paper clip analogy.
    Coated strings do cost more, about £12 for a set of 6, but last longer, so can work out more cost effective.

Ernie Ball Coated Strings have titanium reinforcement to make them stronger and less prone to break.

Hope that helps.

The two acoustics I use for gigs both came with Elixirs on them and I think I've only tried other things once or twice. I've been totally happy with how the Elixirs have been working. I did order a set of Cleartones yesterday, though.
    I also ordered some frets...now am I brave enough to refret my own guitar, or do I chicken out and let a complete stranger do it? My fret guy moved away.

Great info Guitarbitz! Thanks.

Everythingtoexcess: I recommend chickening out and finding a new fret guy.

Cool info. on this thread!

I play at least 3 to 4 hours a day and change my strings maybe once a year. My hands don't sweat at all and I am a little bit obsessive about keeping them clean. I don't mind the strings sounding kind of dull at times as that often suits the music, plus there are so many other factors determining tone that I can always get a sound I like by adjusting some other componant (where I pluck the strings, what pick-up I use, what the pots are set at and the settings of the amp, not to mention what effects I may use).

The only reason I changed my strings last time was a guest picked up my guitar and strummed a few chords and his fingers were so sweaty that I felt queasy playing my gtr when he had left. Of course I am digging the new set too (I even moved up a gauge, or rather tried a new mix of various gauges....Ernie Ball Hydrid Slinky).

I usually buy whatever strings the store has and have no favorites as such, although I seem to have a lot of Ernie Ball packs lying around.

I did try Elixir's on my acoustic (a Taylor) and they sounded fine, but were more than I usually spend. I didn't really like them all that much though and had I not sold the gtr recently I think I'd go back to uncoated strings.

I was looking at Elixir nanoweb strings on musiciansfriend.com. It looks like I was right that only the wound strings have the coating. However, they changed (when I don't know) the plain steel strings so now they have "anti-rust plating." Couldn't find any details about the plating on the Elixir website. I'll stick to Cleartone strings for now since I know all the strings have the same coating.

I've used Elixir on both acoustic and electric for several years now. My experience is the strings perform more consistently for much longer than a standard string. When you first put them on, the sound isn't quite as bright as a standard string, but that brightness goes very quickly and the standard string goes dull within a very short time. The Elixir keeps on going and going, gradually getting dull and harder to stay in tune.

Off topic - I'm trying a set of Silk & Steel on my Martin New Yorker. Very interesting. The lower tension ( nearer to nylon strings, but not quite as slack) and the lower volume, mellowed tone are quite appealing to me.

Norman

I noticed an email on my package of Cleartone strings, so I asked them. Here is the official response:

"The fret wear should be about the same. Cleartones play act and feel like an uncoated set. They just last longer!"