Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Romantic Warriors IV: Krautrock

Many thanks Chalkpie!

PE friends, this is the right time to support Us! Visit https://igg.me/at/krautrock2 and help us to push KRAUTROCK 2 over the finish line! All our films have been self financed and produced independently by us, the filmmakers, and completed with the generosity of progressive music fans. Thanks to all of you who have contributed in previous campaigns!

KRAUTROCK 2 KRAUTROCK 2 is the second film in The Krautrock Trilogy, and continues with the German scene, this time focusing on Southern bands:

GURU GURU • AMON DÜÜL II • XHOL CARAVAN • KRAAN • WITTHÜSER & WESTRUPP • POPOL VUH

Among the musicians of the Krautrock Scene (that were active in the 70s), the following have been interviewed for KRAUTROCK 2:

SKIP VAN WYCH III • MANI NEUMEIER • RENATE KNAUP • CHRIS KARRER • DANIEL FICHELSCHER • HELLMUT HATTLER • JAN FRIDE • WALTER WESTRUPP

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm IN!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by progdocs View Post

KRAUTROCK 2 KRAUTROCK 2 is the second film in The Krautrock Trilogy, and continues with the German scene, this time focusing on Southern bands:
    Good news about a third installment (probably centered around Tangerine Dream & the Berlin scene)

But the Southern/Munich scene is awesome , but seems to be missing out on Out Of Focus and Embryo.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Good news about a third installment (probably centered around Tangerine Dream & the Berlin scene)

But the Southern/Munich scene is awesome , but seems to be missing out on Out Of Focus and Embryo.
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Guess it depends who they can interview, AD2 is certainly a gap.
    So is Embryo and Popol Vuh, FTM

Stories of both AD2 and Popol Vuh are included in Krautrock 2, as well as Kraan, Witthuser & Westrupp, and Guru Guru. Krautrock 3 will be mostly comprised of bands from Berlin, such as TD, Ashra, Agitation Free, etc. but it will also feature a couple others from Hamburg, and Embryo.

We were lucky to interview Christian Burkhard a few months before his passing. Embryo’s segment will be included in Krautrock 3.

Looking forward to this!
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by progdocs View Post
    We were lucky to interview Christian Burkhard a few months before his passing. Embryo’s segment will be included in Krautrock 3.
    Hope you also interviewed Marja - she's carrying the torch quite brightly!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Thanks for the trailer. It was good fun too see what everyone in those bands looks like today!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Yes, we interviewed both Christian and Marja, other members of her group were there as well, and also captured Christian playing the piano, accompanied by (I may be wrong on this) a Pakistani musician playing a stringed instrument, I have to go back to the tapes, I don't remember what instrument it was...but this musician (whose name escapes me at the moment) was certainly a virtuoso and created wonderful music.
    Last edited by progdocs; 10-02-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Thanks for the trailer. It was good fun too see what everyone in those bands looks like today!
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Hey Arturs, thanks, as time passes, musicians age, pass and most are forgotten, as most art that was created in the past is, but as history shows, there are a always a few original, authentic and sustantive artworks that continue to exist in the present, long surviving its times, because they continue to demonstrate their value. This Krautrock document is just one of many that exist about these bands, but hopefully portraits, for each of the selected ones, a lifetime of achievements in succinct form (as much as allowed by the two-hour movie format).

Charles, Saw your participation at Sean's show on Saturday late evening, it was quite refreshing to see a prog fan peer & author that values the broader spectrum of progressive acts in the world! As you highlight in your book, you touched on bands from Japan, Italy, France, etc. including several key bands from Germany, including Can, Faust, Kraftwerk, and Kraan, all of which have been documented so far in our movies (more to come in vol. 3!).

Quote Originally Posted by TheNefariousHED View Post
    Looking forward to this!
    Here is an opportunity to contribute dear PE backers!

Please continue supporting the production of the Krautrock Trilogy by visiting and sending your comtribution at https://igg.me/at/krautrock2

A reminder that the two Secret Perks are only available until one minute before midnight on Sunday October 11th EST, each is being discounted by 25%.

Der Elektrolurch Secret Perk

The Krautrock 2 film DVD and its accompanying "Got Krautrock 2 Special Features" DVD, including live concert performances of Amon Düül II, Guru Guru, Kraan, Westrupp and Electric Orange.

Nam Nam Secret Perk - the got Krautrock? 2 Custom T-Shirt

We hope that you will consider making this success possible with a generous—and much-appreciated—contribution.

Let's make it happen!

Sorry, the correct links to the Secret Perks available until tonight (Sunday Oct. 11th) at midnight are:
    Nam Nam
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/2...token=d2288ac3
    Der Elektrolurch
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/2...token=2ddd874f
    Warm regards
    Jose & Adele

PS: Thanks to the couple QA skilled people here on PE!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap!
    A bit of background Krautrock history....Eleven months before the Woodstock Festival, the city of Essen hosted the Essen Song Tage Festival from September 25-29, 1968 - a "festival for rock, pop, chanson, folk song, underground music, cabaret and poetry". The mix was legendary.

"Songs can be unpleasant, wake you up out of convenience!" Was the message in the festival magazine, and to prove this, the Essen Youth Welfare Office invited over 200 protest singers, beat musicians, lyricists and "underground artists" from Europe and the USA. More than 40,000 people across Europe attended.
    Our new film Krautrock 2 focuses on the bands of the South of Germany, but it also highlights historical events that were important for the bands like the Internationale Essener Songtage (IEST) in 1968, and the rise of legendary label manager Rolf Ulrich Kaiser. If you have not yet contributed, you can do it here: https://igg.me/at/krautrock2

Last edited by progdocs; 10-14-2020 at 11:15 AM.

This is a pretty interesting coincidence. I've taken an interest in tarot after seeing Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain about 4-5 times, and a friend of mine has given me a few readings in the past few weeks. I'm not a big mystic, but I find the imagery and its' meanings to be intriguing and something worth further study !

Walter Wegmüller recorded an album, each track being a musical exploration of a different card, entitled Tarot in 1973 (same year as the Jodorowsky film!). The following video explains more in detail than I could. I am very curious to hear this record now.

Thank you to all PE members who have funded, shared, and gotten involved our “Romantic Warriors IV - Krautrock 2” campaign! – we are so grateful for your support!

First, we want to keep you posted on what we have accomplished so far: We are $1,247 short of making the 20K milestone. Contribute and help us to cross that milestone today, we believe the Worldwide Prog community deserves to have more films like this.

The Krautrock bands have not only transformed the musical landscape in Germany and beyond when they emerged in the early 70s, they also inspired other artists, including Australian visual artist Mladen Luketin.

He created a drawing of some of the heroes of the Krautrock scene. The beautiful Krautrock Scene Poster Print and the Krautrock 2 DVD are now available through our campaign, shipping only within the USA. Perk name: K2 DVD + 18"x24" Art Print Size: 18”x24”.
    krautrock_mladen luketin_660.jpg

The Poster depicts clockwise from the left: Damo Suzuki (CAN), Holger Trülzsch (Popol Vuh), Renate Knaup (Amon Düül II), Chris Karrer (Amon Düül II), Holger Czukay (CAN), Roland Schaeffer (GuruGuru), and Falk Rogner (Amon Düül).*

And here is something for our PE friends who like T-shirts. This Secret Perk offers $10 of your order of the got Krautrock? T-Shirt. Use this link to claim it: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/2...token=d2288ac3
    blue-tshirt.jpg

145282293_5063341157041274_8047835978455145655_o.jpgkraan_early10.jpglive-in-essen-1970-guru 2.jpg
    Finally after five years of filming these bands and musicians and the hard work of putting everything together, "Krautrock 2", the second documentary film of the Krautrock Trilogy, and the Special Features "Got Krautrock 2?" DVD, have been COMPLETED, and are now live for pre-order on our website www.progdocs.com/shop (subtitles in English, French, Italian, Spanish, Worldwide shipping)

Featuring GURU GURU • AMON DÜÜL II • XHOL CARAVAN • KRAAN • WITTHÜSER & WESTRUPP • POPOL VUH • ELECTRIC ORANGE and the participation of the FREEMAN BROTHERS

Synopsis
    KRAUTROCK 2
    (USA/2021/123 Min.)

A film by Adele Schmidt & José Zegarra Holder
    Subtitles in English, French, Spanish, Italian
    Krautrock 2 is the 2nd film in the Krautrock Trilogy, a mini-series of three feature documentary films that explores the classic German Krautrock bands that made music history in Germany during the late 1960s and early 1970s. This movement which involved inspirations from psychedelic, electronic, jazz, folk music, and noise music, came to be known as Krautrock.

Krautrock 2 focuses on the classic Krautrock bands from the South of Germany and features the following bands:

GURU GURU • AMON DÜÜL II • XHOL CARAVAN • KRAAN • WITTHÜSER & WESTRUPP • POPOL VUH • ELECTRIC ORANGE

The following musicians have been interviewed for KRAUTROCK 2:
    SKIP VAN WYCK III • MANI NEUMEIER • RENATE KNAUP • CHRIS KARRER • DANIEL FICHELSCHER • HELLMUT HATTLER • JAN FRIDE • WALTER WESTRUPP

The Got Krautrock 2? Special Features DVD is the companion DVD to Krautrock 2 and features recent live performances of GURU GURU • AMON DÜÜL II • KRAAN • and WALTER WESTRUPP that are featured in the film plus additional unreleased interviews with musicians featured in K-2.

count me in for both DVD
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

count me in for both DVD
    Thanks for your continuous support Trane!

We are very happy to share with you all the first review of the film by Raffaella Berry. Read the full review here:
    https://progmistress.com/2021/02/07/...utrock-part-2/

"From the trippy, spaced-out offerings of Amon Düül II and Xhol Caravan to the intricate, bass-driven jazz-rock of Kraan, through the weird psych folk of Witthüser & Westrupp, Guru Guru’s forays into free jazz and avant-garde, and Popol Vuh’s haunting, ethnic-tinged mysticism, the film spotlights the stunning diversity of the Krautrock scene... Krautrock 2 is essential viewing for anyone interested not just in the music, but also the history and culture behind it. It will, however, provide a rewarding viewing experience to everyone – even to committed fans of very different subgenres of progressive rock. "

Bundle ordered!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Looking forward to receiving.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All perks have been shipped this morning Ian, barring winter storm delays, your package should be arriving soon!

Bundle ordered!
    Just a quick note, today is the last day to pre-order and get 20% off the 20% the Krautrock 2 + Got Krautrock 2? DVD Bundle at http://www.progdocs.com/shop

Thanks Adele...got the goods! Looking forward to digging in to both discs.

A review by Dereck Higgins, whose videos discussing music, albums in his collection, etc. have been mentioned here in PE before. His reference to recent winning is he/his band(s) won two awards at an annual music award show this past weekend in his home town of Omaha, NE.

Thanks Adele...got the goods! Looking forward to digging in to both discs.
    Now that you mentioned it, this is the trailer of the Got Krautrock 2? Special Features DVD that accompanies the film (but sold separately). The Got Krautrock 2? Special Features DVD features close to 2 hours of live performance videos by contemporary bands that appear in the original film. The Band Performances chapter includes these three bands: Amon Duul II, Guru Guru, Kraan, and a solo by Walter Westrupp. Also included are 84 minutes of unreleased interview clips of the following Krautrock musicians interviewed in the second film of the Krautrock Trilogy: Renate Knaup, Mani Neumeier, Hellmut Hattler, and Skyp van Wyck. Available on Amazon, Wayside Music, and progdocs.com

A couple more written reviews of Krautrock 2 have arrived. The first one listed here is by Mike Huhman, of ProgArchives, and the second is by Bill Kopp, of MusoScribe Magazine:

"These documentaries are truly addictive as it only makes you want to know more and explore artists that you have heard of but possibly haven't actually heard. Guru Guru for example is a band i have heard a couple albums but haven't really explored thoroughly. Zeitgeist Media has produced nothing less than visual aphrodisiacs that will whet your appetite to explore the scene even further and if you were lucky enough to live through those glorious times, to transport you back to when the magic was in action and then reel you back to the present to find out where these musicians have landed in the brave new world. I love these so much and can only hope that this series continues to infinity because there are so many tales in the world of progressive rock to tell and nobody does it better than Adele Schmidt and José Zegarra Holder. Bravo!" http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=72137

"And now it’s here: Romantic Warriors IV: Krautrock Part 2 focuses on artists from Heidelberg, Munich, Ulm and Wiesbaden. That means that viewers are trated to the music, personalities and histories of important bands like Amon Düül II (and of course Amon Düül from which it came), Xhol Caravan (and its predecessor, Soul Caravan), Guru Guru, Florian Fricke’s Popol Vuh and Kraan. But the two-hour documentary also digs into lesser-known (but equally intriguing) acts including Witthüser & Westrup, Gila, the rare and pricey book A Crack in the Cosmic Egg, Ohr Records and even a “post-krautrock” band, Electric Orange. And if you didn’t know that acclaimed director Werner Herzog figures prominently into the story, you’ll learn about that as well....Romantic Warriors IV: Krautrock Part 2 is recommended in the strongest terms. It’s well-made, engaging, unpretentious, and filled with fascinating music. That the filmmakers managed to get it completed and released against the backdrop of the COVID-19 pandemic is a testament to their determination. Best wishes to them as they continue with the project: the next film will tackle some of my personal favorites including Tangerine Dream and Nektar." http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php...utrock-part-2/