Thread: Garnotte: New Quebecois Band With An Older School Sound

Garnotte: New Quebecois Band With An Older School Sound

New band from Montreal that is sounding like some of the classic Quebec bands of yesteryear. They still have some work to do, but they're on the right path...

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Thanks for posting this. It displays attempts at that heavy-rock refinement once heard with Morse Code and Dionysos (their final album) and also sombre melancholy ála Opus-5 and Octobre. Alas, like you said, getting there.

Very few 'modern' acts have been able to pull off that particular (and peculiar) stew; Pangée perhaps, Ére G, a tiny handful of others. Other solid modern Quebecois artists tended to go for completely different approaches.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Sounds very cool. Any word on a possible release?

Yes! I like this. Lots of promise (but I already told you that elsewhere...)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Thanks for posting this. It displays attempts at that heavy-rock refinement once heard with Morse Code and Dionysos (their final album) and also sombre melancholy ála Opus-5 and Octobre. Alas, like you said, getting there.

Very few 'modern' acts have been able to pull off that particular (and peculiar) stew; Pangée perhaps, Ére G, a tiny handful of others. Other solid modern Quebecois artists tended to go for completely different approaches.
    I agree, and there are other tracks on the album that get closer to the mark. Funny thing is, in this particular track, I here a little old school Procupine Tree melancholy also. A band filtering all of its musical likes from different eras.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Sounds very cool. Any word on a possible release?

https://garnotte.bandcamp.com/album/ep-1

Link to their Bandcamp page, for the EP. They also have a single available. If you scroll to the bottom of that page you will see a link to buy a CD of their debut EP.

Merci pour le partage, Yves

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Thanks for posting this. It displays attempts at that heavy-rock refinement once heard with Morse Code and Dionysos.
    Yeah, these guys have the vintage sounds we all love

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    https://garnotte.bandcamp.com/album/ep-1

Link to their Bandcamp page, for the EP. They also have a single available. If you scroll to the bottom of that page you will see a link to buy a CD of their debut EP.
    I'm probably going to go for both. This is too good not to encourage.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The EP is really good. The last 2 songs in particular.... The single features violin and gives us a slightly different style. I think there is some real promise here.

Played the CD in the car, then on the hi-fi...sounds better on the computer, IM%HO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.