Page 390 of 399 FirstFirst ... 290340380386387388389390391392393394 ... LastLast
Results 9,726 to 9,750 of 9956

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Drunk Parents (2019) - a comedy critics didn't like, but the wife and I got a lot of laughs. Alec Baldwin and Salma Hayek. Viewed on Tubi.

White Lotus Season 2 - enjoyable show. Viewed on dvd.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

This guy does a really good job of all the Oscar picks.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Shudder stuff this weekend:

Suitable Flesh
    Looking forward to Dune 2: Dune Harder, but not sure I am looking forward to the noisy/rude/crowded theaters.
    Here's hoping that you are pleasantly surprised. When I saw Godzilla Minus One, the second day that it came out, a packed theatre was very well-behaved and not noisy in any wrong places during the film, at all.

Neil

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah but you are Canadians
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Also, Godzilla Minus One didn't have people fighting for scary popcorn buckets.

dune-2-popcorn-bucket.jpg
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Poor Things--on Hulu now. Sort of twisted fairly tale. Overall I enjoyed it, but Oppenheimer for best pic over it. There are still so many Oscar nominees I've yet to see, a better year than the past few.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Poor Things--on Hulu now. Sort of twisted fairly tale. Overall I enjoyed it, but Oppenheimer for best pic over it. There are still so many Oscar nominees I've yet to see, a better year than the past few.
    I need to catch up as well, but I'm running out of time. I want to squeeze in The Holdovers and hopefully Oppenheimer before Sunday night. I did recently watch Maestro and I thought Bradley Cooper did an excellent job with the acting and his overall portrayal of Leonard Bernstein, but it got a bit arty in places where I'm not sure it totally worked. Worth seeing though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I forgot about The Holdovers (snap), I liked it better than Oppenheimer.

I did recently watch Maestro and I thought Bradley Cooper did an excellent job with the acting and his overall portrayal of Leonard Bernstein, but it got a bit arty in places where I'm not sure it totally worked
    Yeah, it was so artsy and stylized in places that I eventually gave up on it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I watched Oppenheimer this week. I thought the acting and visuals were excellent, but like of Nolan's other movies, I felt it was 30-40 minutes too long. I think it'll win the most awards at the Oscars though.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I thought Poor Things was very good. Picture Frankenstein, Alice In Wonderland and Big Fish tossed in a blender and directed by Terry Gilliam. Gorgeously shot and designed and creatively directed.

(Re)watched the 1991 Addams Family last night for the first time since I first saw it. I forgot how damn good it was! And great direct references to the classic Chas Addams cartoons that started the whole thing.

Anjelica Huston pretty much steals the show, but the whole cast is great from top to bottom...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Laugh and mock, if you must, but I think that it's a crime that Godzilla Minus One was not nominated for best foreign film. An incredibly sober and effective portrait of life in post-war Japan, and the grief, regret and trauma carried around by many soldiers. Oh, and it also happened to have a monster in it.

Neil
    Last edited by boilk; 03-09-2024 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Laugh and mock, if you must, but I think that it's a crime that Godzilla Minus One was not nominated for best foreign film. An incredibly sober and effective portrait of life in post-war Japan, and the grief, regret and trauma carried around by many soldiers. Oh, an it also happened to have a monster in it.

Neil
    I haven't seen this yet, but want to badly. Hoping it's available to stream sometime soon and gets a physical release.

Finally got around to completing the Dario Argento animal trilogy with Four Flies On Grey Velvet last night. Probably my favorite of the three though I think they're all good fun. Love these Italian giallos, but I particularly love Argento's style. Not to mention all 3 have Ennio Morricone scores ...and beautiful, topless women.

6.9 out of 10 cigarettes smoked
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I haven't seen this yet, but want to badly. Hoping it's available to stream sometime soon and gets a physical release.

Finally got around to completing the Dario Argento animal trilogy with Four Flies On Grey Velvet last night. Probably my favorite of the three though I think they're all good fun. Love these Italian giallos, but I particularly love Argento's style. Not to mention all 3 have Ennio Morricone scores ...and beautiful, topless women.

6.9 out of 10 cigarettes smoked
    Four Flies was the last of the trilogy that I saw too. The hyper-reality and outlandishness of the plot is sheer bliss, to me. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is a deserved classic. I haven't seen Cat 'O Nine Tails in ages. Time for a re-watch. So many great giallos from that era. Fulci's A Lizard in a Woman's Skin is amazing.

Neil

So many great giallos from that era. Fulci's A Lizard in a Woman's Skin is amazing.

Neil
    Believe it or not, though I've seen all his horror movies, the only Fulci giallo I've seen is The New York Ripper('82). I did just recently get a restoration of his The Psychic('77) which I'll probably watch soon. But yeah, I must get to A Lizard in a Woman's Skin...thanks!

Believe it or not, though I've seen all his horror movies, the only Fulci giallo I've seen is The New York Ripper('82). I did just recently get a restoration of his The Psychic('77) which I'll probably watch soon. But yeah, I must get to A Lizard in a Woman's Skin...thanks!
    Fulci's Lizard (1971) and Don't Torture a Duckling (1972) are both top tier giallos. The Psychic is also very good.

Neil

Godzilla has won a fucking Oscar!!

Neil

Godzilla has won a fucking Oscar!!

Neil
    This made me very, very, very happy
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Way to go Godzilla! Zero interest in The Oscar's though.

Dune (2021)

Lot's of chatter about Pt 2 so I thought I'd finally hit this one. I never read the book and remember liking the '84 original enough. I didn't understand a thing, but it was fun to look at and those worms were cool. This remake was pretty cool! Not much of a backstory so I'm a bit lost there and some parts dragged a bit, but overall thought this was a fun ride. I'm a visuals guy and it definitely doesn't disappoint in that dept. Sounds great too! Looking forward to the latest

7.6 out of 10 sips of my own filtered urine

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Oscar best picture nominees:

American Fiction-did not hear anything about this before the awards show
    Anatomy of a Fall-did not hear anything about this before the awards show
    Barbie-saw it
    Holdovers-heard of it, haven't seen it
    Killers Of The Flower Moon-heard of it, haven't seen it
    Maestro-heard of it, haven't seen it
    Oppenheimer-heard of it, haven't seen it
    Past Lives-saw it
    Poor Things-heard of it, haven't seen it
    Zone Of Interest-did not hear anything about this before the awards show

Hard to root for a favorite when there are so many I am still waiting to see. I hope eventually to see all the nominated movies. Almost missed the awards show. Who knew it started at 4:00 pm on the left coast?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The Oscars went pretty broad this year, and gave Oscars for a variety of movies, which was pretty good I thought. Overall a pretty good year for film. I thought Oppenheimer would win, but held out for The Holdovers. I started watching Oppenheimer a second time, but didn't finish it, but watching it a second time seemed better as I knew where it was more or less going.

Saw X--borrowed from the library. I enjoyed the set up, but after that falls into its typical formula of traps etc. But I guess that's what fans want.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    7.6 out of 10 sips of my own filtered urine
    Best one yet!

I thought (new) Dune was better the second time I watched it. Waiting for the Dune II stream.

There was a while there when the new Dune went straight to HBO Max (during Covid). At the time, they also had the old David Lynch version available. I actually liked that one a lot better than I rermember!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

20 Days in Mariupol--won best Oscar for documentary. Free on YT. As the Russian invasion begins, a team of Ukrainian journalists trapped in the besieged city of Mariupol struggle to continue their work documenting the wars atrocities.

The Last Repair Shop free on YT won an Oscar for best short doc. Once commonplace in the United States, today Los Angeles is by far the largest and one of the last American cities to provide free and freely repaired musical instruments to its public schoolchildren, a continuous service since 1959. The Last Repair Shop grants an all access pass to the nondescript downtown warehouse where a dwindling handful of devoted craftspeople keep over 80,000 student instruments in good repair.