Page 143 of 403 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193243 ... LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,575 of 10058

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

James Arness' brother was Peter Graves. I remember when I first heard that I couldn't believe it. And then my brother, I think, suggested we close our eyes and listen to the voice of one of them. They sound almost identical.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    James Arness' brother was Peter Graves. I remember when I first heard that I couldn't believe it. And then my brother, I think, suggested we close our eyes and listen to the voice of one of them. They sound almost identical.
    Really? To these ears, they sound quite different. Graves has a more throaty sound. (Mission Impossible). Watching Hondo, Wayne decked Arnes but I wonder who would really be the winner.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Stalag 17--POW movie with a good cast of characters and has some drama and comedy as well. William Holden plays a character with a pretty acerbic attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Stalag 17--POW movie with a good cast of characters and has some drama and comedy as well. William Holden plays a character with a pretty acerbic attitude.
    Which also has a young Peter Graves.

Did you know Peter Graves' brother was James Arness?

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'd love to hear some recommendations from y'all on some good , relatively unknown or obscure, films you saw on Netflix or Prime. Love finding the gems that flew way under the radar.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We watched a good movie last night, a Korean gem called Burning (2018), with only three main characters and a 2 1/2 hour running time. A missing person/possible murder mystery. Unlike the typical American movie, there are no police or private investigators getting into shootouts with the "bad guys" every other scene. The suspense is kept up by the writer and director, the characters' conversations, and the film score, as the protagonist tries to solve the mystery on his own. You (the viewer) get close enough to draw some of your own conclusions, but are shown no definitive answers in the end. You know you have seen a very good film when you continue to think about it long after it is over. My wife and I recommend it.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I'd love to hear some recommendations from y'all on some good , relatively unknown or obscure, films you saw on Netflix or Prime. Love finding the gems that flew way under the radar.
    Upgrade. One of the best Netflix movies ever. Directed by James Wan. Not horror but has some extreme moments of gore and violence.

Its about a guy involved in a car accident and left in a wheelchair who is given a revolutionary exoskeleton that controls his body for him. But course things go wrong.

The action and fight sequences are very imaginatively filmed and pack quite a punch.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That was good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Upgrade. One of the best Netflix movies ever. Directed by James Wan. Not horror but has some extreme moments of gore and violence.

Its about a guy involved in a car accident and left in a wheelchair who is given a revolutionary exoskeleton that controls his body for him. But course things go wrong.

The action and fight sequences are very imaginatively filmed and pack quite a punch.
    That was a good one. Had no idea Netflix was behind it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw Yesderday tonight with my lovely wife. The theater was packed. It's a simple love story with wall to wall Beatles music. Can it be all that bad? Nope, the premise was there was absolutely no knowledge or cultural reference to the Beatles in the world (and other clear icons, Coke, Harry Potter, Cigarettes, etc). The main actor rerecords all the great Mops music and becomes a big star. He is discovered by Ed Sheeran, and his career, naturally takes off. He is feeling increasingly guilty for the farce and this is part of the storyline. It was so great to hear a beatlefest as the soundtrack. Was it earth shatterin? Nah. It was an totally enjoyable 2 hours of my life.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    That was a good one. Had no idea Netflix was behind it.
    I could be wrong about it being a Netflix production, but I think I watched it on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I could be wrong about it being a Netflix production, but I think I watched it on Netflix.
    I think I read somewhere a sequel is in the works.

Upgrade was a Blumhouse production.

Blumhouse (founded by Jason Blum), has produced quite a few low-budget horror films like Paranormal Activity, The Purge, Sinister, etc. They also produced Jordan Peele's Get Out, Joel Edgerton's The Gift, M. Night Shyamalan's Split, Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman, and Whiplash.

In general, if you see BH's video logo at the beginning of a movie, chances are it's going to be a decent movie, at least.

I assume you mean their streaming services. That's kind of hard to do, which is why I take NF's physical disc instead of the streaming. You can get the movie Upgrade that way. I really enjoyed the movie, Maudie too.

Over at Amazon streaming though, last night I was watching another doc on Zappa about his years after disbanding his first band and incarnation. Fairly interesting, but a lot of overlap with some of the other docs on him. It's called Frank Zappa: Freak Beat, Movie Madness and Another Mother. I think they could have thought of a better title for it really. They are also showing Eighth Grade, Ladybird, Baseball: A Film by Ken Burns, Neil Young: Music Box, The Devil's Brigade, Jigsaw, and Creating Woodstock.

If you do have the physical disc option with NF then, I'd recommend these: Maudie, Upgrade, First Reformed, MI: Fallout, You Were Never Really Here, BlacKKKlansman, Hereditary, The House of the Devil, Annihilation, Black Swan, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Take Shelter, The Shape of Water, Wilson, The Void, IT, and The Chaser.

I couldn't think of anything at first until Hippypants mentioned some music docs. I saw three on Prime that I really liked:

Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)? This is a good documentary that's not just for fans. I seem to recall there are tons of private video clips and pictures in it, too.

Song Of The South: Duane Allman And The Rise Of The Allman Brothers. I think this would have been better had they interviewed some of Duane's well known contemporaries. Most of the interviews, tho, were with old friends from high school and musicians the Allmans played with before they hit it big. It was still a pretty good movie with lots of great video clips and pictures.

Beatles Stories. I watched this more out of boredom than anything. I was surprised at how good it was. Here's the synopsis: "Songwriter Seth Swirsky grew up in the 1960s a fan of The Beatles. As he got older he noticed that whenever someone told a story about themselves and his favorite band he was all ears. So he bought a video camera and set out on an 8-year journey to film personal stories about his heroes from those who had one."
    Some of the interviews are actually touching and some are downright funny. Definitely worth the watch if you're a Beatles fan. Here are some of the people interviewed in the movie: Art Garfunkel, Justin Hayward, Mark Hudson, Denny Laine, Ray Manzarek, George Martin, Joey Molland, Graham Nash, Rick Nielsen, Peter Noone, Smokey Robinson, Klaus Voormann, Brian Wilson, and Henry Winkler.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it sometime in the last couple years, but an indie horror movie I thought was pretty good was The Invitation. Synopsis: "Responding to an invitation from his ex-wife, a man brings his girlfriend to a dinner party. There, he relives the trauma of their child's death and becomes suspicious that his ex-wife has ulterior motives for inviting him."

Searching. I can't remember where I saw it but it's not on Netflix or Prime at the moment. You might be able to find it at your library. An indie, this is one of the better thrillers I've seen in the past few years. "Set entirely on computer screens and smartphones, the film follows a father (John Cho) trying to find his missing 16-year-old daughter with the help of a police detective (Debra Messing)."

More recs, Amazon Prime: Searching For Bobby Fisher, Shadowlands, and Beauty Is Embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    If you do have the physical disc option with NF then, I'd recommend these: Maudie, Upgrade, First Reformed, MI: Fallout, You Were Never Really Here, BlacKKKlansman, Hereditary, The House of the Devil, Annihilation, Black Swan, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Take Shelter, The Shape of Water, Wilson, The Void, IT, and The Chaser.
    Sadly, I just stream. So I will have to patiently wait for Upgrade. The plus side is, I have seen most of the others on your list. Thanks for the recs here, and on your other post.

Upgrade. One of the best Netflix movies ever.
    Thanks for this. I will eventually find this.

Hal.... I am not a big documentary fan. Searching looks interesting. Thanks!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Have you guys used the free app Upflix? It allows you to search Netflix by genre, and also shows what's been added to Netflix and when.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Damn, Upgrade is no longer on Netflix.

Watched Magic In The Moonlight today, a charming little Woody Allen film with Colin Firth and Emma Stone in the lead roles. In typical fashion, it's all about the characters and the dialogue, and it's well done. Nothing earth-shattering, but an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours in the A/C on a hideously humid summer Saturday.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Going to see For All Mankind and Return Of The Jedi at the Cinematheque tomorrow. The former is a documentary, made in the 80's, about the Apollo moon missions. Apparently, the film was originally conceived in the early 80's, and was at first just the archival NASA footage, accompanied by the music Brian Eno released on his Apollo album. But then after a couple test screenings, this was deemed to be too oblique or esoteric or whatever, so the film got extensively re-edited, with narration and interviews inserted, etc. The Eno score stayed, though it was significantly different from what was on Apollo. Anyway, I've never seen it before, so I figure I should go see it, especially since they're offering free popcorn for everyone for this one screening.

Gonna be a long day, though, getting up 6:00 am for work, then going from work to the Cinematheque at around 2-3 pm, with back to back movie screenings, I probably won't be home until close to 10:00pm! That's a long time go without a nap!
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 07-20-2019 at 05:13 PM.

I just streamed Spiderman: Homecoming and this was the best Spidey movie I've seen. It pretty much captures the craziness of the comic, the angst of being a teen superhero, and I love how it incorporates stuff from the Avengers and Captain America movies. And no, I haven't seen the new one that's in the theaters but I'll get to it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Going to see For All Mankind and Return Of The Jedi at the Cinematheque tomorrow. The former is a documentary, made in the 80's, about the Apollo moon missions. Apparently, the film was originally conceived in the early 80's, and was at first just the archival NASA footage, accompanied by the music Brian Eno released on his Apollo album. But then after a couple test screenings, this was deemed to be too oblique or esoteric or whatever, so the film got extensively re-edited, with narration and interviews inserted, etc. The Eno score stayed, though it was significantly different from what was on Apollo. Anyway, I've never seen it before, so I figure I should go see it, especially since they're offering free popcorn for everyone for this one screening.

Gonna be a long day, though, getting up 6:00 am for work, then going from work to the Cinematheque at around 2-3 pm, with back to back movie screenings, I probably won't be home until close to 10:00pm! That's a long time go without a nap!
    I had always thought Mike Oldfield did the music for that one. I am sure I remember either a documentary or TV programme where Oldfield's music was used against footage of the Apollo missions...possibly Tubular Bells.

And no...I am not getting confused with the snippet of dialogue from the Apollo 8 mission used on Songs of Distant Earth.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...