Page 207 of 403 FirstFirst ... 107157197203204205206207208209210211217257307 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,175 of 10065

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    You know, I don't think I have ever seen Charles Bronson in a film I actually enjoyed...
    Once Upon A Time In The West
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    The Great Escape. Tunnel King. One of the 3 to actually escape. Name the other 2 .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Magnificent Seven!
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Once Upon A Time In The West
    All excellent
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    You know he was in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, too, don't you? Albeit in a bit role. But my point is, you said "best movies Cage was ever in", not best roles. So, you think Valley Girl was better than...

Moonstruck
    Wild at Heart
    Guarding Tess
    The Rock
    Con Air
    8mm
    The Family Man
    Adaptation
    National Treasure
    The Weather Man
    OK, you might have a point about those first three, but are you seriously suggesting The Rock and Con Air movies were better than Raising Arizona?! I seem those were both tacky action flicks (though I suppose you could call Valley Girl a tacky teen sex farce).

I could have also mentioned Leaving Las Vegas, that Cage won an Oscar for, but it's an incredibly depressing movie.
    Wasn't that the one with the Flying Elvises, Utah Chapter, in it?

I forgot about Fast Times At Ridgemont High, though I really, I only remember the gag about the ticket scalper who had to "eat" I forget how many Blue Oyster Cult tickets the last time they were in town (and the bit where he's trying to get the one girl to buy Cheap Trick tickets from him), and also the interaction between Sean Penn and Ray Walston.

Oh yeah, and there was the bit where the ticket scalper tells his kid brother that the way you get a girl in the mood is by putting on side one of Led Zeppelin 4, but then later we hear Kashmir, in the failed seduction bit. I was never sure if that was a gaffe made by whoever was in charge of the music, or if the idea is the reason the kid couldn't "close the deal", as it were, was because he put on the wrong Led Zeppelin record.

So I guess it's Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Valley Girl, and Raising Arizona.

Oh, and before you say/ask it, I'm not conversant enough on Sean Penn's movies to cite which his best might be. In fact, I think the only other one of his movies i've seen, and I saw it like 35 years ago, when it first played on HBO, was The Falcon And The Snowman, and back then, we had just the one TV with cable, so... (and basically watched it because Pat Metheny did the music). I know I wanted to see Milk, but never got around to it.
    And frankly I would not want to see any more violence anyway, it had a gleeful nastiness about it that was uncomfortable to watch.
    You mean you don't dig seeing scumbags getting exactly what they deserve?! I think that's the whole point of those movies.
    But for pure comedy value, you should watch Death Wish 3.
    "They're like roaches! You can't just kill one or two, you gotta wipe out the entire nest!"

I still like 4 and 5 the best. Four has a pre-Star Trek Tim Russ playing a drug dealer, plus the greatest shoot out scene ever, where Kersey lures the two crime families out into a big field together, he fires one shot, hitting a guy in the leg, and the rest of it is just a blood bath, with the shitheads finishing off Kersey's job for him. Then he's got the one guy left, the one crime boss, might have been the guy he shot in the leg, and Kersey walks up to him, and he's trying to crawl away, and the dirtbag is like "Why?", and Kersey shows him the picture of his step-daughter (who died from an overdose), and the loser is like "But I didn't even know her!" and Kersey responds with two words, "I did!" and bam! Another worthless pile of shit bites the dust!

The fifth one has both the scene where he pours rat poison over a low life's cannoli (possibly a Godfather allusion?), though the way the guy is wolfing the thing down, Kersey just waited for him to choke to death on it. And then there's the bit with Freddie, the mob hitman (or whatever he was supposed to be) with a dandruff problem (which Kersey fixed for him, using a bomb planted in a soccer ball).

But in general, they're not great movies, in the normal sense. I mean, like I said, when you see that Cannon Films logo, and then you see Menahem Golan's name in the opening credits, well, you know what kind of movie you're gonna be watching, and Citizen Cane (or Psycho, or even Star Wars), it ain't gonna be.

You know, I don't think I have ever seen Charles Bronson in a film I actually enjoyed...
    He was in House Of Wax, billed under his given name of Charles Buchinsky. That was a great movie, Vincent Price was brilliant as the mad wax museum curator.

Bronson was also in another Vincent Price picture, Master Of The World, which wsa based on the work of Jules Verne. I seem to recall that was a good one too.

I need to see The Great Escape and The Magnificent Seven again, it's been way, way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    OK, you might have a point about those first three, but are you seriously suggesting The Rock and Con Air movies were better than Raising Arizona?!
    No. Where did I say that? Re-read my post. I was comparing Valley Girl to that list. The only thing I said about RA was at the end of my post: "I don't think even Raising Arizona was better than some of those movies." Those movies being Adaptation and Guarding Tess, and maybe National Treasure and The Family Man.

Wasn't that the one with the Flying Elvises, Utah Chapter, in it?
    No. That was a comedy called Honeymoon in Vegas. Leaving Las Vegas was about an alcoholic who deems his life worthless and decides to drink himself to death. It costarred Elizabeth Shue as a prostitute. As I said, it's a depressing movie.

Oh yeah, and there was the bit where the ticket scalper tells his kid brother that the way you get a girl in the mood is by putting on side one of Led Zeppelin 4, but then later we hear Kashmir, in the failed seduction bit. I was never sure if that was a gaffe made by whoever was in charge of the music, or if the idea is the reason the kid couldn't "close the deal", as it were, was because he put on the wrong Led Zeppelin record.
    It wasn't his kid brother, it was his best friend "Rat" who took Jennifer Jason Leigh out on the date. As for the cut-away to him on the date playing Kashmir, I think it was understood that he's just inept with girls and ends up playing side two of Physical Graffiti instead of side one of IV.

BTW, you know who else had bit parts in that movie besides Nick Cage? Forest Whitaker played the star football player whose car Spicoli wrecks. Eric Stoltz and Anthony Edwards played a couple of Spicoli's stoner friends. Nancy Wilson (of Heart) played the hot chick in the Corvette that "Brad" (Judge Reinhold) is flirting with while dressed in the pirate outfit. Taylor Negron (cousin of Three Dog Night singer, Chuck Negron) played the guy who delivers the pizza to Spicoli in the middle of class. Bruce Springsteen's younger sister played one of the cheerleaders during the pep rally that no one has any interest in. And last but not least, the woman who played the biology teacher's hot wife at the prom was Lana Clarkson, the woman Phil Spector murdered.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Was he in Magnificent Seven? It's been so long since I've seen it but I did indeed enjoy it.

Never seen The Great Escape.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

OK, I've seen House of Wax several times. Great flick. I did not realize that Igor was Charles Bronson...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    OK, I've seen House of Wax several times. Great flick. I did not realize that Igor was Charles Bronson...
    Yeah, he was a few years into his career as a film actor, before he adopted Bronson as his stage name. Up until then, his career was mostly bit parts, frequently uncredited. But I remember seeing House Of Wax on TCM a few years ago, and the host mentioned Bronson's presence.

It wasn't his kid brother, it was his best friend "Rat" who took Jennifer Jason Leigh out on the date. As for the cut-away to him on the date playing Kashmir, I think it was understood that he's just inept with girls and ends up playing side two of Physical Graffiti instead of side one of IV.
    Well, the whole concept that you're going to woo a girl by playing any Led Zeppelin record, by itself, strikes me as being hilarious, never mind the concept that the whole thing collapses because he played the wrong Zeppelin record. I seem to recall reading once that what actually happened was they wanted to use Stairway To Heaven for that scene, but the powers that be (whether that being Page, Grant, Ertegun or whomever) wouldn't let that happen, but they would allow them to use Kashmir. But that could be just an urban legend.

BTW, you know who else had bit parts in that movie besides Nick Cage? Forest Whitaker played the star football player whose car Spicoli wrecks. Eric Stoltz and Anthony Edwards played a couple of Spicoli's stoner friends. Nancy Wilson (of Heart) played the hot chick in the Corvette that "Brad" (Judge Reinhold) is flirting with while dressed in the pirate outfit. Taylor Negron (cousin of Three Dog Night singer, Chuck Negron) played the guy who delivers the pizza to Spicoli in the middle of class. Bruce Springsteen's younger sister played one of the cheerleaders during the pep rally that no one has any interest in. And last but not least, the woman who played the biology teacher's hot wife at the prom was Lana Clarkson, the woman Phil Spector murdered.
    Yes, I knew about most of them. Don't remember Nancy Wilson, or even the scene she's in, but it makes sense she'd be in it, given that it was written and directed by her husband (the guy who wrote the liner notes to Frampton Comes Alive). Didn't know about Springsteen's sister (but I did know his first wife was in a .38 Special video) nor about Lana Clarkson.

Well, the whole concept that you're going to woo a girl by playing any Led Zeppelin record, by itself, strikes me as being hilarious, never mind the concept that the whole thing collapses because he played the wrong Zeppelin record. I seem to recall reading once that what actually happened was they wanted to use Stairway To Heaven for that scene, but the powers that be (whether that being Page, Grant, Ertegun or whomever) wouldn't let that happen, but they would allow them to use Kashmir. But that could be just an urban legend.

Yes, I knew about most of them. Don't remember Nancy Wilson, or even the scene she's in, but it makes sense she'd be in it, given that it was written and directed by her husband (the guy who wrote the liner notes to Frampton Comes Alive). Didn't know about Springsteen's sister (but I did know his first wife was in a .38 Special video) nor about Lana Clarkson.

Well, the whole concept that you're going to woo a girl by playing any Led Zeppelin record, by itself, strikes me as being hilarious, never mind the concept that the whole thing collapses because he played the wrong Zeppelin record.
    Except that Zep IV side 1 ends with Battle of Evermore and Stairway. Had "Rat" gotten it right, the cut-away would probably have had the beginnings of Stairway playing.

I seem to recall reading once that what actually happened was they wanted to use Stairway To Heaven for that scene, but the powers that be (whether that being Page, Grant, Ertegun or whomever) wouldn't let that happen, but they would allow them to use Kashmir. But that could be just an urban legend.
    Yeah, I don't buy that. I was a year out of high school when that movie was released and my friends and I all understood that scene to mean that Rat blew it. Besides, if they wanted to use Stairway and couldn't, they would have rewritten the scenes.

Don't remember Nancy Wilson, or even the scene she's in, but it makes sense she'd be in it, given that it was written and directed by her husband
    Yeah, a definite nepotistic cameo. Maybe this will jog your memory:

Cameron Crowe only wrote the screenplay. It was directed by Amy Heckerling.

(the guy who wrote the liner notes to Frampton Comes Alive).
    Are you under the impression that that is what Crowe is most famous for? He also wrote and directed Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous, and Vanilla Sky. Incidentally, Almost Famous is a semi-autobiography.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Cage: Leaving Las Vegas, Leaving Arizona, and Adaptation for me

Charles Bronson: The Dirty Dozen

Most Bronson movies are quite decent. The Mechanic was an early in theater experiance for me. I loved it. The first Death Wish was good. The rest suck. He was in plenty of good movies.

I still standby, my favorite Nicolas Cage performance is in The Family Man.

CLUELESS

I feel odd and almost sad now for never having seen this back in the day or even within the last 10 years. It's not amazing, but it's clever enough I follow the appeal and how it influenced a lot of tv and movies that have come since. I now have a little bit of an interest to watch the tv series, lol. Which features a lot of the same cast, although not Alicia Silverstone. However, she would go on to be in MissMatch which her and James Roday in MissMatch could in some ways be seen in a similar way to her and Paul Rudd in the movie.

Except that Zep IV side 1 ends with Battle of Evermore and Stairway. Had "Rat" gotten it right, the cut-away would probably have had the beginnings of Stairway playing.
    Yeah, I get that, I just don't understand how that would have been more likely for Rat to be able to close the deal if he had played the right Zep record.

Yeah, I don't buy that. I was a year out of high school when that movie was released and my friends and I all understood that scene to mean that Rat blew it. Besides, if they wanted to use Stairway and couldn't, they would have rewritten the scenes.
    Yeah probably. Who knows? Like I said, the whole concept works either way in my mind.

Yeah, a definite nepotistic cameo. Maybe this will jog your memory:

Cameron Crowe only wrote the screenplay. It was directed by Amy Heckerling.
    I stand corrected.

Are you under the impression that that is what Crowe is most famous for? He also wrote and directed Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous, and Vanilla Sky. Incidentally, Almost Famous is a semi-autobiography
    You really just don't understand me, do you?

Most Bronson movies are quite decent. The Mechanic was an early in theater experiance for me. I loved it. The first Death Wish was good. The rest suck. He was in plenty of good movies.
    Forgot about The Mechanic. That was a good one. I was gonna quote a line from that, but then realized it might be construed as a spoiler, so I removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I still standby, my favorite Nicolas Cage performance is in The Family Man.

CLUELESS

I feel odd and almost sad now for never having seen this back in the day or even within the last 10 years. It's not amazing, but it's clever enough I follow the appeal and how it influenced a lot of tv and movies that have come since. I now have a little bit of an interest to watch the tv series, lol. Which features a lot of the same cast, although not Alicia Silverstone. However, she would go on to be in MissMatch which her and James Roday in MissMatch could in some ways be seen in a similar way to her and Paul Rudd in the movie.
    The Family Man with Tea Leoni ? I already told my wife , if Tea knocks on the door and says leave with her , I'm outta there. This also applies to other senerios , I save her from being mugged , I change her flat tire , both of which have her extremly grateful , she somehow sees a picture of me and can't live without me. Theres more.....

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We watched the documentary, Anthropocene. Depressing, but real, look at how humans have changed the planet we live on.

I agree. In my youth, we looked forward to the Charles Bronson movies, probably because he played badass characters. The Mechanic was one of his best. Rest in peace, Jan-Michael Vincent. I hear they have a remake of it now. Not interested. Not necessary. Bronson and Vincent got it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I agree. In my youth, we looked forward to the Charles Bronson movies, probably because he played badass characters. The Mechanic was one of his best. Rest in peace, Jan-Michael Vincent. I hear they have a remake of it now. Not interested. Not necessary. Bronson and Vincent got it right the first time.
    Not only is there a remake of The Mechanic, but I think they also did a sequel to it too. The only reason I know the sequel exists is because Jessica Alba is in it, so it pops up every once in awhile on the "search" function on our TV service when I look for her stuff.

Yeah, I get that, I just don't understand how that would have been more likely for Rat to be able to close the deal if he had played the right Zep record.
    Forgive me for saying this but I think you're too young to understand. It's of its time.

You really just don't understand me, do you?
    More than you think but, ultimately, does anyone?

You also didn't answer my question.

The only reason I know the sequel exists is because Jessica Alba is in it, so it pops up every once in awhile on the "search" function on our TV service when I look for her stuff.
    You perv.

I'm kidding. I went through a Jessica Alba phase, so I get it. She's f'n hot!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Forgive me for saying this but I think you're too young to understand. It's of its time.

More than you think but, ultimately, does anyone?

You also didn't answer my question.

You perv.

I'm kidding. I went through a Jessica Alba phase, so I get it. She's f'n hot!
    It's a phase?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Not only is there a remake of The Mechanic, but I think they also did a sequel to it too. The only reason I know the sequel exists is because Jessica Alba is in it, so it pops up every once in awhile on the "search" function on our TV service when I look for her stuff.
    Well, I'll be doggone. Did not know this existed:

Mechanic: Resurrection (2016)

Doesn't look worth buying, but I'll see if the library has it. To see Ms. Alba.

She's only a quarter century younger than me...

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    In my youth, we looked forward to the Charles Bronson movies, probably because he played badass characters.
    I never had the same reaction to him but all your guys' talk about him finally pushed me to peruse his filmography.

I just discovered he was in Pat & Mike, the old Tracy/Hepburn movie. I also finally saw Jubal a little while back; he had a supporting role in that. He also played Machine Gun Kelly in the Roger Corman movie of the same name, which I saw when I was a kid.

Mostly I remember Bronson from his biggies: The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, The Dirty Dozen, and Once Upon a Time in the West.

I've also seen many of his '70s movies in which he was the lead, almost all of which I was unimpressed with and/or remember little about, with two exceptions. The first is Telefon, which also starred Lee Remick. I really liked that movie, even tho it's a little slow at times. The second is Death Wish, which he was good in - he always is, really - but the movie just seemed derivative of the Dirty Harry movies to me and seemed pointless.

I know I've seen The Mechanic but my memories of it are always confused it with Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, the Clint Eastwood movie, which was probably derivative of it. I don't remember having any negative reactions to it, tho.

But The Valachi Papers, Chino, Mr. Majestyk, Breakheart Pass, The White Buffalo, Death Wish II, and 10 to Midnight were all pretty forgettable and I never saw another one of his movies after.

One thing I could never quite figure out is how he ended up with Jill Ireland, who co-starred in 15 of his movies. I always thought she was a real beauty.

Something else I just learned is that she was previously married to David McCallum (The Man From U.N.C.L.E.). Bronson & Ireland met during the filming of The Great Escape which McCallum was in, also. She and McCallum, who'd been married for 10 years, divorced in '67. She married Bronson in '68 and they were together until her death from breast cancer in '90.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's a phase?
    Well, you know, I am a red-blooded hetero male, so I'll be attracted to some hot actress but then I'll see them on a talk show and it's like, meh, and then it becomes obvious their career is based almost entirely on their looks. I had the same reaction to Jennifer Garner and others. What can I say? I like smart women.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal...
    But The Valachi Papers, Chino, Mr. Majestyk, Breakheart Pass, The White Buffalo, Death Wish II, and 10 to Midnight were all pretty forgettable and I never saw another one of his movies after.
    When you said "10 to Midnight," I thought of "From Noon Till Three," because I'm easily confused about film titles. Had to look them both up to make sure they are not the same movie. I'm not sure I saw "10 To Midnight." I remember much of "From Noon Till Three," which stars both Bronson and the beautiful Jill Ireland. I'll watch it again whenever it turns up on the TV channel that shows mostly Westerns. Pretty good, and funny.