Page 200 of 403 FirstFirst ... 100150190196197198199200201202203204210250300 ... LastLast
Results 4,976 to 5,000 of 10065

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Does anyone use Firefox and visit RottenTomatoes? If so, are you getting an "unsupported browser" error?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I use Firefox, but I'm not getting any message. It could be they were down then, however.

Went to Barnes & Noble intending to buy a CD, but they're no longer stocking new releases in CD. It's all vinyl now. So I bought a DVD from the bargain bin for 5 bucks. Dunkirk (2017). Powerfull film. Disappointing ending, sorta.

recently saw 2 classics for the first time; both starring the excellent Ronald Coleman
    Lost Horizon 10 out of 10 70 year old women who look 25
    Talk of the Town 9 out of 10 men who change each other's world view
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Went to Barnes & Noble intending to buy a CD, but they're no longer stocking new releases in CD. It's all vinyl now. So I bought a DVD from the bargain bin for 5 bucks. Dunkirk (2017). Powerfull film. Disappointing ending, sorta.
    Not sure what ending you were expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Not sure what ending you were expecting.
    I was hoping that pilot the father and 2 sons rescued would've gotten killed for killing the youngest son.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I was hoping that pilot the father and 2 sons rescued would've gotten killed for killing the youngest son.
    Sometimes a less than tidy wrap up has more impact. War has no logic , and doesn't play fair.

Sometimes a less than tidy wrap up has more impact. War has no logic , and doesn't play fair.
    Well, there's one short scene where the eldest son looks at his father with a look that suggested he was going to get revenge, and dad gives him a nod of approval. So who knows.

by now you all know that my milieu is Noir of the 30s-50s, but occasionally I find a recent film that is pretty good. I just saw
    The Jacket and I thought it was a cool twist on time travel movies in an almost Noir kinda way

8 out of 10 lives screwed up by horrible parents
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    by now you all know that my milieu is Noir of the 30s-50s, but occasionally I find a recent film that is pretty good. I just saw
    The Jacket and I thought it was a cool twist on time travel movies in an almost Noir kinda way

8 out of 10 lives screwed up by horrible parents
    Did you like Motherless Brooklyn?

Watched Lady Bird last night, as I recalled it was quite praised upon release. And it is indeed a fine film. Terrific performance from Saoirse Ronan, and the balance between comedy and drama was perfect, as was the pacing. Strong cast and writing, a quite charming coming of age piece.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks for reminding me about Cabin In The Woods. Re-watched it last night. It had been a long time, so I had remembered very little of it. Fun movie.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Did you like Motherless Brooklyn?
    I may have heard of that one but haven't seen it. I'll look into it thanx!

If you will indulge me a question...As everyone knows, many bands have taken dialogue from movies and inserted the dialogue into songs and instrumental pieces for effect. Pink Floyd being perhaps the most prominent example. "Can Lorca ride?" being one of many. Now defunct Cleveland based Goth/Industrial/Electro band Lestat inserted dialogue into one of the songs on 1994 release Vision Of Sorrows, and I've been curious about the source ever since. Googling the text came up snake eyes. It sounds as if it's from a 1950s or 1960s Sci-Fi movie involving first alien contact. I don't know if it's a B movie or a classic, sorry, but with the wealth of film knowledge here, I expect someone will know which movie is the source. The dialogue sounds as if it's taken from a human's early questioning of an alien: "Do you have a God? An all-powerful being?"

Anyone?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cEi9zdbkPLo
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 07-30-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If you will indulge me a question...As everyone knows, many bands have taken dialogue from movies and inserted the dialogue into songs and instrumental pieces for effect. Pink Floyd being perhaps the most prominent example. "Can Lorca ride?" being one of many. Now defunct Cleveland based Goth/Industrial/Electro band Lestat inserted dialogue into one of the songs on 1994 release Vision Of Sorrows, and I've been curious about the source ever since. Googling the text came up snake eyes. It sounds as if it's from a 1950s or 1960s Sci-Fi movie involving first alien contact. I don't know if it's a B movie or a classic, sorry, but with the wealth of film knowledge here, I expect someone will know which movie is the source. The dialogue sounds as if it's taken from a human's early questioning of an alien: "Do you have a God? An all-powerful being?"

Anyone?
    Maybe The Day The Earth Stood Still. ?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I may have heard of that one but haven't seen it. I'll look into it thanx!
    I also am a Noir fan, and found this quite noirish. Its a year old and pretty good. Original spin.

Anyone?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cEi9zdbkPLo
    Is there no information on the credits of the album/CD sleeve? If a band uses material from a copyrighted source on an album they usually have to give credit for it and cite that it is used by permission etc.

Anyone?

Obviously, the voice has either been distorted in the song or someone from the band recited the lines.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

it's from The Outer Limits

if memory serves (and my memory can not be trusted) it is the debut episode of TOL called "The Galaxy Being"

edit:
    memory worked!!!
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0667834/

I always get Cliff Robertson and Robert Conrad confused
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 07-31-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Ha! I figured either Hal or Rogue Mail would know it, and I was right, but LP nails it too. Thanks guys.

No, there is no mention on the booklet or tray card. Maybe it's public domain at this point.

Harikiri--Criterion release about a samurai begging a court owner to allow him to commit suicide, but really wanting a handout of money. I've been trying to go outside my normal Hollywood viewing, but some of these Criterion releases test my endurance at times. They can be pretty slow unfolding. Worth a watch, but I don't see myself revisiting it anytime soon.

Ant-Man and the Wasp--fast action and actually pretty fun, great line from Stan Lee.

Stanley Kubrick's favorite films.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I remember finding this book at the library and reading it. Did not know it would ever be made into a movie. I'm interested.

Watch the wonderfully creepy trailer for "I'm Thinking of Ending Things," the new film by Charlie Kaufman

This week we are watching the Evil Dead trilogy. Why not?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

ok, so completely random, but something we probably have not ever covered here

for the Sci-Fi fans: what's your favorite space ship?

I love the Enterprise, but recently found a new favorite which I absolutely love

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I remember finding this book at the library and reading it. Did not know it would ever be made into a movie. I'm interested.

Watch the wonderfully creepy trailer for "I'm Thinking of Ending Things," the new film by Charlie Kaufman
    If Charlie Kaufman's attached, I'm in. I haven't seen Human Nature nor Synecdoche, New York, yet, but I've seen everything else he's written and/or directed. Didn't really enjoy Anomalisa, too much, because of the decision to animate it. I think he's one of the best screenwriters out there. Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind were both great movies with exceptional screenplays. I think his best is Adaptation but the movie just wasn't quite as good. Hell, even Anomalisa had a good screenplay.
    Last edited by Hal...; 08-08-2020 at 12:34 PM.