Page 95 of 403 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 10065

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    From RT: "A young college professor and his pregnant wife unwittingly release a malevolent entity with murderous intentions."
    That happens all the time.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Well, I watched Shawshank Redemption tonight with my partner. She never heard of the movie before I introduced it to her! I've seen it countless times but found myself drawn in like it was new. It's a timeless movie with a compelling plot and supremely capable acting by all, particularly Tim Robins and Morgan Freeman. It was so great sharing the movie with her fresh eyes. I have other classics to pick from that stretch back 15 years or so! I have lots of ideas (One Flew Over a Cuckoos Nest comes to mine). I would rate SR in my top 10 or maybe even 5 of movies of all time. The ending was perfect. The story was not predictable and was carefully build up, step by step. As I said, I'm so glad I can get so much enjoyment for a movie I've seen so many many times and sharing it with my best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Well, I watched Shawshank Redemption tonight with my partner. She never heard of the movie before I introduced it to her! I've seen it countless times but found myself drawn in like it was new. It's a timeless movie with a compelling plot and supremely capable acting by all, particularly Tim Robins and Morgan Freeman. It was so great sharing the movie with her fresh eyes. I have other classics to pick from that stretch back 15 years or so! I have lots of ideas (One Flew Over a Cuckoos Nest comes to mine). I would rate SR in my top 10 or maybe even 5 of movies of all time. The ending was perfect. The story was not predictable and was carefully build up, step by step. As I said, I'm so glad I can get so much enjoyment for a movie I've seen so many many times and sharing it with my best friend.
    I still finding interesting that most of the best movies made from Stephen King's works are not horror films. Shawshank is a great one.

Probably my favorite film of all time. Perfection.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Blindspotting--pretty much hated it, and didn't finish watching it, recommended from a friend.

I went to the London Film Festival screening of the movie a couple of months before it was released. Even then there was no buzz about the movie at all. I remember liking it on first viewing but was not blown away by it. And the public and critical reaction was fairly muted. It took a while for word of mouth to circulate, and of course it found a new lease of life on home video.

I think back then the notion of non-jorror Stephen King movies was still slightly confusing for the public, and they were not sure what to expect.

I think for most people it's a movie you can always go back to and watch again.

A similar story occurred when I was given a free ticket for a screening of The Terminator back in 84. The sci fi store who gave it to me said they literally could not give them away. A film with Arnie as a cyborg? Monone expected anything from it. Remember Arnie was largely considered a joke back then.

And I vividly remember in the screening I attended there was a lot of laughter. A lot of people just could not take it seriously. I remember thinking it was better than I expected, but still kind of goofy.

And yet like Shawshank, it took a while for word of mouth to circulate but it did, helped by some positive reviews which praised the storyline. And the rest, as they say, is history...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I think back then the notion of non-jorror Stephen King movies was still slightly confusing for the public, and they were not sure what to expect.
    I know I was surprised to find out Stand By Me was based on one of his books.

A similar story occurred when I was given a free ticket for a screening of The Terminator back in 84. The sci fi store who gave it to me said they literally could not give them away. A film with Arnie as a cyborg? Monone expected anything from it. Remember Arnie was largely considered a joke back then.

And I vividly remember in the screening I attended there was a lot of laughter. A lot of people just could not take it seriously. I remember thinking it was better than I expected, but still kind of goofy.
    Well, the best Schwarzenegger movie is Hercules In New York, especially the original version, with his voice dubbed over by some voice actor (apparently, it was reissued decades later with a "recently discovered audio track" that restored his own voice).

Oh yeah, and Jeff Beck has a cameo in Twins, so that's pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I went to the London Film Festival screening of the movie a couple of months before it was released. Even then there was no buzz about the movie at all. I remember liking it on first viewing but was not blown away by it. And the public and critical reaction was fairly muted. It took a while for word of mouth to circulate, and of course it found a new lease of life on home video.

I think for most people it's a movie you can always go back to and watch again.

And yet like Shawshank, it took a while for word of mouth to circulate but it did, helped by some positive reviews which praised the storyline. And the rest, as they say, is history...
    I always thought thatShawshank was robbed at the Acadamy Awards that year , when Forrest Gump won best picture over SR. Shawshank is much better IMO.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    There are many many movies better than Forrest Gump that year, Pulp Fiction, The Professional, The Crow, Quiz Show.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    There are many many movies better than Forrest Gump that year, Pulp Fiction, The Professional, The Crow, Quiz Show.
    The Proffesional is the same year? Wow , my timeline is off on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I really like Forrest Gump, but no way it should have beaten out those films.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I agree Forrest Gump isn't the best movie from 1994.

However, the other four nominees for Best Picture that year were Four Weddings and a Funeral, Pulp Fiction, Quiz Show, and The Shawshank Redemption. The problem with PF and TSR is that they both depicted male rape, something that would have made voters very squeamish in 1994. QS was probably too boring for a lot of people and FW&aF was a romantic comedy, which usually do not do well at the Oscars. It's also important to note that FG was the highest grossing movie of 1994. That had to have played a part.

So, from that perspective, FG is the clear winner. At least, I'm sure that's how the Academy saw it.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

nominees for Best Picture that year were Four Weddings and a Funeral
    Yeesh.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Four Weddings and a Funeral featured a small role for Rowan Atkinson as a preacher, the high point of the film for me. "The father, the son, and the holy spigot"

I'll take The Crow over any of those movies to be honest. Well, not Shawshank Redemption. That is in another league.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Hey Klonk, I took your recommendation last night and checked out The Salvation. I am not a big western fan, but I did
    rather enjoy this one. Good call!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Hey Klonk, I took your recommendation last night and checked out The Salvation. I am not a big western fan, but I did
    rather enjoy this one. Good call!
    Glad I disappoint you! Yeah, I had fun watching that one. Short, simple and no bullshit.

And again, check out Summer of '84 when you can. I don't want to hype it up too much, but it's pretty cool. The first 2/3rds are good in a Stranger Things, Stand By Me sort of way, but the last 1/3 is where it shines...darkly!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Glad I disappoint you! Yeah, I had fun watching that one. Short, simple and no bullshit.

And again, check out Summer of '84 when you can. I don't want to hype it up too much, but it's pretty cool. The first 2/3rds are good in a Stranger Things, Stand By Me sort of way, but the last 1/3 is where it shines...darkly!

An Inspector Calls - dark period (1912) one room drama about class divide from a JB Priestly play, excellent

Galveston - dark grip Texas mob hit man gets double crossed and goes on the run with an abused teen and her daughter, pretty damn depressing but very well done.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Watched BlackkKlansman last night. An excellent outing from Spike Lee. Adam Driver is superb. Many parts are hard to watch, but the last 5 minutes are a serious gut-punch.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Frida--bio on the Mexican surrealist and her marriage to the muralist, Diego Rivera. Well made, but at times a bit by the numbers or heavy-handed in the direction.

Trainspotting--a re-watch for me, about some pals from Scotland that mixed up with heroin. Funny and harrowing too.

Crank--more style than substance about amoral characters, a pretty Tarantino influenced film or so it seemed. A dumbed down DOA.

The Prince Jason Patric stars as a retired hitman whose college attending daughter falls into heroin use and is kidnapped. Also stars Bruce Willis and John Cusack.
    Pretty good action flick.

Haunting on Fraternity Row Don't......Just, Don't!

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Trainspotting--a re-watch for me, about some pals from Scotland that mixed up with heroin. Funny and harrowing too.
    I liked it but don't have any desire to see it again. Still, that scene with "the worst Toilet in Scotland" is absolutely brilliant. It is both disgusting and hilarious.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I liked it but don't have any desire to see it again. Still, that scene with "the worst Toilet in Scotland" is absolutely brilliant. It is both disgusting and hilarious.
    The scene with the infant in the crib who died from neglect is still unsettling and difficult to watch.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    The scene with the infant in the crib who died from neglect is still unsettling and difficult to watch.
    Brilliant, funny, harrowing, difficult to watch. Really rather excellent. Spuds brown sheets scene makes me squirm every time.
    Ian