Page 79 of 400 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 9987

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Do you like any movies?
    This thread is about our likes/dislikes and opinions of movies we've seen.

It's OK if we all don't like the same stuff.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    This thread is about our likes/dislikes and opinions of movies we've seen.

It's OK if we all don't like the same stuff.
    Oh I know, I was just confused by your take on Annihilation -- because the actual story and heart of the mystery is so much weirder than just some studio mashup of Jurassic Park, Aliens, and The Thing.

It doesn't seem like those kinds of movies are your cup of tea anyway though, which is fine of course.
    Last edited by aith01; 01-10-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Oh I know, I was just confused by your take on Annihilation -- because the actual story and heart of the mystery is so much weirder than just some studio mashup of Jurassic Park, Aliens, and The Thing.
    The reason I clumped Annihilation in with the others was because they all borrowed heavily and shared the same premises.

A group of people (women in Annihilations case) with weapons, are in some dangerous uncharted territory and end up dying one by one.

Just like Ridley in Alien, Natalie Portman in Annhiliation ends up alone fighting the evil weirdness.

There's also an obvious lifted scene from The Thing. Three of the women are tied to chairs in a row with a menacing boar like creature circling.

The landscape looked like it was right out of Avatar and Jurassic Park.

I fell asleep when Portman went into the butthole wall and confronted the silver mime man.

It doesn't seem like those kinds of movies are your cup of tea anyway though, which is fine of course.
    I love Alien, The Thing and scary sci fi, but with Annihilation I felt like I saw it already.

The reason I clumped Annihilation in with the others was because they all borrowed heavily and shared the same premises.

A group of people (women in Annihilations case) with weapons, are in some dangerous uncharted territory and end up dying one by one.

Just like Ridley in Alien, Natalie Portman in Annhiliation ends up alone fighting the evil weirdness.

There's also an obvious lifted scene from The Thing. Three of the women are tied to chairs in a row with a menacing boar like creature circling.

I fell asleep when Portman went into the butthole wall and confronted the silver mime man.
    Honestly, I didn't think of any of those movies once , but I can kinda see where you're coming from. Regardless, I get the dislike. It's definitely a slow mover, but to me there was enough to sit it through and I think some of the sci/fi fans in here might want to give it a whirl. BTW too bad you fell asleep when ya did, Chris...you missed the credits!

Butthole wall
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

ok, now I *gotta* see this polarizing Sci-Fi flick
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I love Alien, The Thing and scary sci fi, but with Annihilation I felt like I saw it already.
    I dunno, it sounds like your gripe might be with movie tropes in general.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    ok, now I *gotta* see this polarizing Sci-Fi flick
    It's definitely not worth the noise created in this thread , but if you like sci-fi, I'd give it a try. You'll know if it's up your alley pretty quick because the pace doesn't change much. Here's the trailer...

Last edited by Klonk; 01-11-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Honestly, I didn't think of any of those movies once , but I can kinda see where you're coming from. Regardless, I get the dislike. It's definitely a slow mover, but to me there was enough to sit it through and I think some of the sci/fi fans in here might want to give it a whirl. BTW too bad you fell asleep when ya did, Chris...you missed the credits!
    I still haven't seen the movie, but I'm glad it has a slow pace because the books did as well. It was much more about a steadily creeping dread overall, as the narrative takes you and the characters further and further down the rabbit hole. A pervasive sense that "something is just wrong" that never goes away.

Apparently Alex Garland changed the movie quite a bit from the book though (especially the ending), because he only read the first book in the series and had no intentions of making the next two into movies.

It's too bad, IMO, because the second and third books expand the scope and you learn about all the other expeditions that happened before and how horribly wrong they went, as well as how "Area X" came to be. Would've loved to see those turned into movies too, if done faithfully.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Big Trouble In Little China for the umpteenth time last night, not sure my daughter understood why it is so brilliant.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I still haven't seen the movie, but I'm glad it has a slow pace because the books did as well.
    The butthole wall awaits you!

Ugh... modern trailers show wayyyyy too much of the movie. My wife told me to check out the one for the new film Velvet Buzzsaw. It looks pretty good, but I feel like I've seen too much of it already!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Judging from that glimpse in the trailer, the butthole wall hasn't seen much action.

Maybe that should have been one of the marketing taglines for the movie.

I still haven't seen the movie, but I'm glad it has a slow pace because the books did as well.
    Too slow, IMO. Glacial.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Too slow, IMO. Glacial.
    I never felt they were too slow. The payoff at the end was well worth it.
    Last edited by aith01; 01-12-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This morning my teen son and I were watching a 1960's French film called Le Samouraï. It was pretty good, and I got the impression that The French Connection took an idea or two from it. The scenes with characters evading/chasing each other down on the metro, with no music in the background. Both really make you focus on the actions of the characters, with no distractions or leavening agents.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Watched Big Trouble In Little China for the umpteenth time last night, not sure my daughter understood why it is so brilliant.
    That movie has it all! So many great effects and gags. I think my favorite is when Kurt Russell unknowingly has lipstick on.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Great movie! Lots of great lines in that one too.

"We take what we want, and leave rest! Just like your salad bar!"
    "I'm a very reasonable man who's just had some very unreasonable experiences!"
    "Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to 'get it'!"
    "Now this really pisses me off to no end!"
    "Is it too much to ask, Thunder?! Kill him! For me!"

Watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe last night. I enjoyed it, but the "explanation" (as well as the setup at the beginning) seem cobbled together and unclear. I've looked a bit online for explanations of the explanations, but not found anything very helpful. Anyone feel the beginning and ending make sense, and think they can help?

I don't understand how Jane Doe got from Salem to Virginia, and if she was in the process of being buried or unburied at that massacre scene in the beginning.

Sister Street Fighter: Reasonably entertaining martial arts picture from circa 1974. When her undercover cop brother goes missing while investigating a drug smuggling operation, a lady martial arts expert flies into action to track him down. Not the best movie ever made, but I enjoyed it, and there was somme good dialog, at least in the English dubbed version I watched. And there's nothing like watching a sexy woman disposing of a bunch of useless henchmen!
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 01-15-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Cargo

Netflix original. Australian, post-apocalypse, drama/thriller. A father is on a search for someone to protect his baby. Not a bad flick. Sort of similar vibe as The Road but not as grim. It's grim! But not The Roadgrim I enjoyed it...and it was short.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe last night. I enjoyed it, but the "explanation" (as well as the setup at the beginning) seem cobbled together and unclear. I've looked a bit online for explanations of the explanations, but not found anything very helpful. Anyone feel the beginning and ending make sense, and think they can help?

I don't understand how Jane Doe got from Salem to Virginia, and if she was in the process of being buried or unburied at that massacre scene in the beginning.
    I saw it in May of '17. It scored a 6.8 on IMDB but I didn't think it was that good so I don't remember anything about it. Sorry.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Hmmmm... Have this in mu queue. Maybe time to check it out?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe last night.
    I saw it.

Started out promising, starring the always excellent Brian Cox, but when it lost its wheels and got wacky I lost interest.
    Last edited by nosebone; 01-16-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Hmmmm... Have this in mu queue. Maybe time to check it out?
    I probably should have posted a spoiler alert, but ultimately it doesn't really matter. You should watch it - I enjoyed it!