Page 404 of 406 FirstFirst ... 304354394400401402403404405406 LastLast
Results 10,076 to 10,100 of 10141

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Check out this photo of Brando:

... except it's not Brando, it's Billy Zane starring in the new biopic Waltzing with Brando, which focuses on the period where he bought his Tahitian residence. Pretty uncanny! I hope he nails the voice too... Brando's voice, I mean, not a Vito Corleone impression like most people do.
    I recognized Zane right away. No amount of prosthetics can cover up his eyes. Still, an excellent job!

In Restless Dreams: The Music Of Paul Simon--saw this was feature on Amazon Prime, so checked it out. It said it was leaving in a few days, so if you want to watch it you ought to do so before it leaves. Two parter, and starts out with his early career in NYC. I've only seen the first part, and I'll watch the second part tonight.

Waters's book Shock Value is great entertainment, also.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Civil War

The movie follows journalists trying to get to DC during a civil war to interview the president. While I was glad there was no politics, they never explain anything about anything really other than California and Texas forming an alliance and war being pretty fucked up! Visually it was terrific, acting was all well done (especially Dunst) and there was some pretty good, intense moments, but the ending I found to be unsatisfying. Overall I had a decent time with it, but once is enough.

6.4 out of 10 action shots
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Been watching Season 1 of cable TV's Wednesday on BD. Pretty good.

Grew up with the TV show starring John Astin & Carolyn Jones. Later saw the two movies with Raul Julia & Anjelica Huston. The 2019 animated flick. And now Wednesday with Jenna Ortega. A lifetime of big and small screen fun with the Addamses.
    Frog in boiling water

Furiosa A prequel to 2015s Fury Road. Insane action set pieces. tripped out cars & stunts. Other than that , it's mostly a revenge story. I can't believe creator/Director is 80 years old.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Civil War

The movie follows journalists trying to get to DC during a civil war to interview the president. While I was glad there was no politics, they never explain anything about anything really other than California and Texas forming an alliance and war being pretty fucked up! Visually it was terrific, acting was all well done (especially Dunst) and there was some pretty good, intense moments, but the ending I found to be unsatisfying. Overall I had a decent time with it, but once is enough.

6.4 out of 10 action shots
    Similar to my thoughts on it.

Godzilla Minus One now on Netflix...nice!

Both color and B&W versions available to rent/buy finally!!! Figure the physical copies will surface sometime this summer

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Godzilla Minus One now on Netflix...nice!
    Thanks for the head's up, been wanting to watch it.

Monster on Netflix, Indonesian film (I think), almost silent (no dialogue) for the most part. About kids being kidnapped. Overall pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Monster on Netflix, Indonesian film (I think), almost silent (no dialogue) for the most part. About kids being kidnapped. Overall pretty good.
    Made me think of an independant horror film called The Monster from 2016 that was actually a fun little creature flick. Nice, short littler thrill ride. Well done and excellent creature effects for the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Both color and B&W versions available to rent/buy finally!!! Figure the physical copies will surface sometime this summer
    I'll be buying the 4k when it's released for sure. Haven't seen it yet, but know I will love it. Just one of those sure things

Back To Black: This was a biopic of Amy Winehouse who tragically died of alcohol poisoning at 27 after a turbulent but phenomenally successful career. To be honest I didn’t know a lot about Winehouse going into this film. I remember thinking she was talented, but her music was not really my thing. I recognized a few of the hits used in the film, but that was about it. I enjoyed the film for the most part even though it was a pretty typical by numbers biopic. Marisa Abela plays Winehouse and does an amazing job. She did her own singing for the film which although not exactly like Amy came pretty close. The rest of the cast were also good for the most part. This was not a great film, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

3 out of 5 stars

When Evil Lurks - count me as one of those who liked this film. Relentless. Thanks for the recommendations above.
    Frog in boiling water

Unfrosted (Netflix): This new comedy movie from Jerry Seinfeld has been pretty much torn apart by the critics, but I found it to be rather enjoyable. The plot revolves around Kellogg’s and Post and the invention of the Pop Tart. The jokes come fast and furious and many of them don’t work, but enough do that I got quite a few chuckles out of the movie. The film has an all-star cast, plus a plethora of cameos. The fact that I live about a half hour from Battle Creek Michigan where the film takes place and have a good friend who works for Post may have enhanced my enjoyment, but I did not think this movie was nearly as bad as it has been portrayed. Not a great comedy, but not that bad either.

3 out of 5 stars.

In A Violent Nature (2024)

Watched last night.
    An interesting look for an early 80s slasher style movie, where the camera follows the maniac from behind relentlessly stalking and slaying teens.
    I dunno, I think I liked it for the nostalgia - pass if you're not a fan of Jason or Michael Myers
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

We watched Tale of Tales last night, a rather curious collection of three old Italian fairy tales with fantasy elements. Quite intriguing, really, and beautifully/uniquely shot. I liked it much more than I thought I was going to. Not for children whatsoever, it was quite dark in places.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Society Of Snow (Netflix): 2023 movie which is a new retelling of the 1972 plane crash in the Andes mountains where a group of Uruguayan rugby players survived and how they were able to live. This story has been covered in many books and documentaries and there was also a theatrical release called “Alive” that came out in 1993. This new film is not in English so you have to either use subtitles or the dubbed version. This is an excellent film and I would say generally superior to “Alive.” The acting and cinematography are great. The story is often hard to watch and it is amazing that any of these guys survived the situation.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

I like Society of Snow too, though there had been an earlier film and doc of the incident. All of them were done pretty well. But yeah, what an ordeal to go thru.

Godzilla Minus One Netflix, pretty fun creature feature.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I like Society of Snow too, though there had been an earlier film and doc of the incident. All of them were done pretty well. But yeah, what an ordeal to go thru.

Godzilla Minus One Netflix, pretty fun creature feature.
    Yes, I mentioned the film "Alive" and the many documentaries and agree they have all been quality stuff.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wasn't that impressed with Godzilla Minus One to be honest.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Society Of Snow (Netflix): 2023 movie which is a new retelling of the 1972 plane crash in the Andes mountains where a group of Uruguayan rugby players survived and how they were able to live.
    What a coincidence. I just listened to an episode of the podcast Stuff You Should Know, yesterday, titled "How Cannibalism Works".

Next up: "How the Donner Party Worked".

What can I say? I've been craving something different, lately.

I can't believe I just purposely made a pun. Kill me now.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Frog in boiling water

Fear Street on Netflix. Based on the series by Goosebumps author R. L. Stine.

There are three movies totaling 5˝ hours, averaging 1:50:00 each. That surprises me because I didn't feel like they were overlong.

They're basically slasher movies, with a supernatural take, taking place in Shadyside during three time periods: 1994 (part 1), 1978 (part 2), and 1666 (part 3, which tells the origin of the Shadyside curse). The protagonists in part 1, however, appear in all three movies.

For what they were, I thought they were pretty good. It helps they have a strong 80's slasher movie kind of vibe.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe