Page 403 of 406 FirstFirst ... 303353393399400401402403404405406 LastLast
Results 10,051 to 10,075 of 10141

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The Funhouse

It has been recently discussed here, but the traveling carnival and all of its oddities and creepiness is something that's fascinated me since I started eating paste. The funhouse rides especially. Yeah I'm an odd one, but ya love what ya love! Anyway this is an under appreciated Tobe Hooper gem in my opinion. A group of kids go to a carnival that's in town and decide to spend the night...great idea!! Fun movie with a pretty ridiculous, yet cool deformity. Perfect for a late night, drunken romp.

6.2 out of 10 strings of drool

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Scent of a Woman (1992), I would think. I loved it too, actually and it's not usually my kind of movie. There is actually an Italian version from 1974 too.

Neil
    Yup, that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    FWIR, when I mentioned The World's Fastest Indian a number of years ago, no one commented they had seen it. I think it's a wonderful movie, due in no small part to Anthony Hopkins' portrayal. Not because it's the kind of complex, nuanced performance one comes to expect of him but because he's so damned likeable in it.

It's based on the true story of Kiwi Burt Munro, who set land speed records on his 1920 Indian motorcycle.

I just discovered it's free on Hoopla, the streaming app for libraries. It's also available on Redbox, with ads, or $2.99 to rent.
    I have seen it, but it has been years and I don't remember a lot about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Society the of Snow about the rugby team crashes on a glacier in the Andes. Netflix
    This one is on my list to watch.

Decent doc on Roger Corman, RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post

Yes sir!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I posted this earlier, but Anthony Hopkins movie called One Life and I highly recommend to anyone on this thread. 9/10.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    That is one unique double bill.

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    indeed! I am sure I watched it with Repo Man on a double bill.......

Another flick from the same period of my life was "Liquid Sky."
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

When Evil Lurks--Hulu Argentina films, subtitles horror film. It was fine, but for me not great.

When Evil Lurks--Hulu Argentina films, subtitles horror film. It was fine, but for me not great.
    I REALLY liked that one.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I REALLY liked that one.
    Me too man. One of my favorites of the year. My only beef was a stupid decision made near the end...otherwise great flick! Some dark ass moments!

...and Destroy All Neighbors has been in my list for a while

Dark Waters Netflix, starred Mark Ruffalo as a lawyer trying to help a farmer sue DuPont for poisoning his water and other unexplained deaths. Good cast, solid script, I thought it was pretty good.

Red Rock West ('93)

Noir film I had never seen starring Nick Cage, Lara Flynn Boyle, Dennis Hopper and JT Walsh. About a former marine hurting for money looking for work and takes a job he shouldn't have. Thus a chain reaction of shit happens. Kept me guessing with some cool twists n turns. I really liked this one. Great performances by all.

7.6 out of 10 empty tanks of gas

The eons are closing
    Saw this on the Beeb today - asked the Mrs. If she has seen it (she had not) so now it's on the list.

An apparent obscure 70s folk horror film called Robin Redbreast that has now been made into a stage play!

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/...rosemarys-baby

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Red Rock West ('93)

Noir film I had never seen starring Nick Cage, Lara Flynn Boyle, Dennis Hopper and JT Walsh. About a former marine hurting for money looking for work and takes a job he shouldn't have. Thus a chain reaction of shit happens. Kept me guessing with some cool twists n turns. I really liked this one. Great performances by all.

7.6 out of 10 empty tanks of gas
    That one is at least 9 tanks of gas. A cult classic.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Viewed a 2023 movie called , Last stop In Yuma County. Crime thriller with unknown to me Francis Galluppi who writes , directs and edits. Hostage drama with bank robbers along with others trapped in a diner with all awaiting a late fuel delivery to the only station in town. This is a low budget film that makes excellent use of its resources. The acting and casting is very good . I only recognized 1 character actor , the old man in the gas station in No Country For Old Men , betting his life on a coin toss. Starts as a slow burn in the first act and revs up fast . Moments of real suspense , and surprise. IMDB gave it a 7. I'd give a 9. Check it out if you come across it.

Me too man. One of my favorites of the year. My only beef was a stupid decision made near the end...otherwise great flick! Some dark ass moments!

...and Destroy All Neighbors has been in my list for a while
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I REALLY liked that one.
    I liked it too...I also liked Terrified from a few years prior by the same crew. Not exactly a feel good kind of film
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Happy Accidents, Betrayal & Greed--doc on the PBS painter, Bob Ross. I always enjoyed his show, and wanted to know more. Rather sad tale in the end, but worthwhile, Netflix.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    No Hard Feelings (2023) - Jennifer Lawrence plays a woman who agrees to bring an introverted teen out of his shell before college, for his helicopter parents, because she needs cash to save her home. Pretty good adult comedy.

I wondered why it had been so long since I saw Jennifer Lawrence in anything. It turned out it is because Don't Look Up (2021) has yet to be released on DVD, so I haven't seen it. And I never heard about Causeway (2022) so I didn't see that either (It's also not out on DVD). The last movie I saw her in was Red Sparrow (2018), which I own on DVD. I guess these days if you don't stream movies, you lose.
    Frog in boiling water

Lowlifes on Tubi, horror film about a road-tripping family are put to the test when they have no other choice but to stay the night at a remote homestead. Pretty decent, went in unusal directions.

Rabid Grannies ('88)

yes you read that right. A Belgian horror/comedy about 2 old ladies that receive a demonic gift that turns them into cannibals to the misfortune of their greedy relatives. Terrible acting, tons of gore (pretty decent practical effects) and I was smiling throughout pretty much the whole thing. Not a very good movie, but the rabid old ladies were a hoot

5.7 out of 10 delicious asshole relatives

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    DVDs:

Lisa Frankenstein (2024) - comedy horror movie about an '80s teenage girl (Kathryn Newton) and a reanimated corpse. Weird, unusual, and funny. We enjoyed it.

Lucky Grandma (2019) - gambling, chain-smoking, Chinese grandma gets on the wrong side of gangs in NYC's Chinatown. Pretty funny.
    Frog in boiling water

Check out this photo of Brando:

... except it's not Brando, it's Billy Zane starring in the new biopic Waltzing with Brando, which focuses on the period where he bought his Tahitian residence. Pretty uncanny! I hope he nails the voice too... Brando's voice, I mean, not a Vito Corleone impression like most people do.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Eaten Alive (Death Trap)--Movieland+, I remember Neville Brand from many TV shows back in the day, though with the long hair I kept wondering if it was who I thought it was--his voice is pretty unmistakenable. From Tobe Hooper after his Texas Chainsaw film, but still retains many of those trademarks. Oddball musique concrete score helps to amp up the action scenes.

Pink Flamingos--notorious John Waters film, pretty much worthless really, imo, as a few scenes are pretty gross. I'm surprised it was on Criterion. Watched on archive.

Pink Flamingos--notorious John Waters film, pretty much worthless really, imo, as a few scenes are pretty gross. I'm surprised it was on Criterion. Watched on archive.
    Hahaha, you would not be the only one of that opinion. I'm a fan and like his angry 70s output for its sheer bravado and brazen wallowing in human filth, which Pink Flamingos exemplifies. He used to proudly quote some of the most scathing reviews he could find (no shortage there), and use them on advertising for his films. I recently read his autobiography and he and his posse of bizarre friends/actors, are certainly an interesting lot. Although mystifying to some, he has gained some critical respect and acknowledgement as a unique and even important American filmmaker, hence the Criterion treatment. Certainly PF may be his most well-known and outrageous film, but Multiple Maniacs (1970) (the scene with Divine and Mink Stole in a church is beyond the beyond),Female Trouble (1974) and Desperate Living (1977), are something else, too.

Neil
    Last edited by boilk; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:45 AM.