Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yes VS. Yes

Yes VS. Yes

I'm interested in hearing opinions on the two versions of Yes currently touring. My preference is for the Anderson, Rabin, Wakeman version partly given that the singer generally creates the signature sound of a band and I'd much rather hear Anderson do their material. I also very much like Wakeman's skill on the keys. I do enjoy Downes playing but less so on Yes material. Now without Squire, the Howe version of the band is not as compelling. As far as Rabin vs. Howe, in live settings, I prefer the Rabin's playing. Howe is just too sloppy live for my taste. Both are great guitarists in their own right but I'm more focused on who's preferred for live performance.

Cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoknows View Post
    I'm interested in hearing opinions on the two versions of Yes currently touring
    I'm sorry, I don't think anyone here is interested in accommodating you with that request.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

This may be a first. A Yes thread where the two versions of Yes are compared, contrasted and argued about. This is mining some arcane unexplored territory. Can't wait to hear the hot takes.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

What are you guys talking about??? Is "Yes vs. Yes" (Spy vs. Spy?) some kind of band?

I’d rather hear Anderson sing Yes and I’d rather hear Howe playing the guitar parts. So in essence I lose and win in both cases but now days I consider it more of a lose lose than a win win. It is what it is but will never be the same without Chris. Just the chance of hearing Jon sing and Steve play is still better than nothing at all. Not sure if that clarifies things on my position or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoknows View Post
    I'm interested in hearing opinions on the two versions of Yes currently touring.
    That's a dry sense of humor you've got there, fella.

Though I thoroughly enjoyed watching and hearing Anderson sing when I saw AWR, I felt there was very little musical chemistry within the band, particularly between Wakeman and Rabin. Robin's guitar playing was pretty sloppy and I loathed his version of Awaken. I also felt the drummer was an ill fit.

As for the other version, it is very sad to see and hear the decline of Alan White. His playing and health have been declining over the last decade and it's painful to witness. It became even more evident when Jay and Dylan sat in and how much better the band sounded as a result.
    I think the official Yes has a bit more chemistry overall but as good as Jon D. is, there is only one Jon Anderson.

In the end both sides suffer, just like the whole Pink Floyd/Roger Waters debacle.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It would be an interesting fight.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    What are you guys talking about??? Is "Yes vs. Yes" (Spy vs. Spy?) some kind of band?
    More like a Mad magazine feature, only not as funny.

Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis..

Actually, the early YouTube stuff I saw of ARW sounded sloppy. Later ones sounded much, much better. I think the way to really judge is by the album ARW puts out (assuming they actually do). Then we're comparing new music to new (well....) music.

Give me the Howe version because of the setlists he has been putting together. Much prefer to see tracks from Drama and Tales over the some old Anderson-based setlist where the most adventurous song they are playing is South Side of the Sky. But I'd much prefer a version of the band with Howe and Wakeman performing together. As far as vocalists go, Jon Anderson is great but Jon Davison is an acceptable alternative. And you can't compare Rabin's guitar playing to Howe's. Rabin is a fine guitarist but Steve Howe was one of the best guitarists on the planet in his prime and while he's past his prime, he's still damned good.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis..
    Rowan and Martin...

Burns And Allen...

Laurel And Hardy...

Our Gang...

The Marx Brothers...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Yves vs Yves

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    No vs. No

Kramer vs. Kramer

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

To Beaver.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    (Spy vs. Spy?) some kind of band?

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

They should tour together. YES & YES "Together and Separate". One night only.

It's a case of either, or. Neither are going to offer up the Yes experience that was available from 2002 to 2004 when it was Anderson, Squire, Howe, Wakeman and White. That's no longer an option, so what you get is an alternate take from either lineup. Some would say "lesser" regardless of the lineup. Without Chris Squire it's going to be...different.

ARW is like an 80s YesWest show + Wakeman, more or less. So if you like the Rabin era stuff then that is the band to see. They do some pretty good versions of tunes from Fragile too. With Anderson singing this might be the closest you will get to that classic sound.

Howe's Yes goes much deeper when it comes to the catalog. They have performed most all of the tunes in the catalog from 1980 and back- save for stuff from the first two albums which they have only dabbled with. If you love Howe's take on things then that is the Yes for you.

I enjoy both and find it hard to believe going to a Yes concert of any sort is even an option at this late date, much less two. That music is still pretty majestic in a live setting.

You mention not liking slop... From the looks of things (countless clips online and seeing them in person) Rabin isn't the player he once was, even after having two years to shake the rust off. So.....
    Last edited by Sean; 06-18-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Both groups offer up a great show!!!
    Go see them while you can!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I enjoy both and find it hard to believe going to a Yes concert of any sort is even an option at this late date, much less two.
    Excellent point. I saw Howe play with Asia back around 2003 and I felt lucky to see him "one last time" figuring I wouldn't get another chance. Since then, I've seen his version of Yes something like 5 or 6 times. For a frail old guy, he just keeps going. He seems to be in better shape than the rest of the band.