Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I bought a new record player, but i have a question for the vinyl loving people here.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Your explanation addresses why a youngster would buy used LPs.

It does not explain why one would buy new 180g vinyl, which is the question I answered.
    It addresses both. They are not into music for the sake of sonics as an isolated treat or component. If you haven't experienced an original analog recording (and ensuing vinyl release) from the 70s, then chances are there won't be much "factor" in appointments as to why the one sounds better than the other - it's the format itself that facilitates the music.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

A CD doesn't disappear forever when your hard drive crashes.
    Good thing smart people backup their files.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    If you haven't experienced an original analog recording (and ensuing vinyl release) from the 70s, then chances are there won't be much "factor" in appointments as to why the one sounds better than the other - it's the format itself that facilitates the music.
    I collected records for seventeen years, from 1967 to October 1984. When I bought my first CD I stopped buying LPs immediately -- the improvement was that dramatic. I held onto my 2700+ LP collection for another thirty-one years, not wanting to buy everything all over again -- until October 2015, when I realized a) my records were again worth something after decades of not, and b) anytime I wanted to hear something I already owned on LP, I usually went out and bought (or downloaded) the CD anyway. I hadn't played an LP for fun for YEARS. So I sold the whole collection to a local store getting back into vinyl and never looked back.

^ Okay.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I hadn't played an LP for fun for YEARS.
    What did you play them for, exercise?
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-29-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What did you play them for, exercise?
    I occasionally played them into my computer, so I could clean them up and make a CD-R.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I occasionally played them into my computer, so I could clean them up and make a CD-R.
    You're right, doesn't sound like fun. BTW, I added a winking emoji above - it's all good!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I found a pristine copy of The Rolling Stones Some Girls in a local record store and paid $15 for it. Gave it to my daughter who was at first certain that it was the reissue (because it had a plastic sleeve on it). I don't know this for certain but I have a vision in my head of some schmo who sold off his original copy of Some Girls for the reissue that came out 3 or 4 years ago. The reissue on vinyl, by the way, does not have the sliding artwork of the original cover. I tried to impress upon my daughter that if she is going to pursue vinyl to always check for used copy first. I haven't been that successful though.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You're right, doesn't sound like fun.
    Actually I'm OCD enough that this is kind of my hobby. I've done a few hundred conversions.

I recorded my vinyl record collection in 24/96 Hi-Res, cleaned them up, encoded them to FLAC, and now play those FLACs directly from a portable hard drive through my sound system. I also ripped my CD collection to FLAC and play those FLACs from the same hard drive. Sure beats having to get my lazy butt out of my recliner to insert or remove physical CDs.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I found a pristine copy of The Rolling Stones Some Girls in a local record store and paid $15 for it. Gave it to my daughter who was at first certain that it was the reissue (because it had a plastic sleeve on it). I don't know this for certain but I have a vision in my head of some schmo who sold off his original copy of Some Girls for the reissue that came out 3 or 4 years ago. The reissue on vinyl, by the way, does not have the sliding artwork of the original cover. I tried to impress upon my daughter that if she is going to pursue vinyl to always check for used copy first. I haven't been that successful though.
    Some of these 'vinyl' reissues are money for old rope. I can't speak for this one per se but if true. not even bothering to reproduce stuff which was part of the original cover is so lazy.

The earlier run of the album had used faces of famous women on that cover presumably without clearance, so they replaced them.

^^ Some vinyl reissues destabilize the collector market. A person could've spent hundreds or thousands on a rare record, only to have that value plummet when it's reissued.

The collectors market is never “stable.” Valuations are all over the map in the best of times.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ Some vinyl reissues destabilize the collector market. A person could've spent hundreds or thousands on a rare record, only to have that value plummet when it's reissued.
    Serves them right for buying records as an investment, rather than as something to be listened to and enjoyed. I have similar contempt for those who hoover up vintage musical instruments, only to stick them in bank vaults forevermore, where they'll never be played again.

Let them collect Bitcoins

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Serves them right for buying records as an investment, rather than as something to be listened to and enjoyed.
    Those "collectors" certainly exist, and to no little extent. However, my experience as "niche" collector has taught me that most folks into fervent search on genre tend to hide behind their guild as collectors - while actually wanting to recapture that feeling of discovering something which they already happen to know.

When I got Finnerud Trio's Plastic Sun for 20£ back in '93, I only barely knew of its contents; they were an obscure object of reminiscence, no "hipster" cult status at all. I listened to it, absolutely loved it, went headfirst into exploring its rather relevant cultural history in the development of Norwegian modern jazz - and, obviously, kept preaching on its significance and valor. 20 years later, and the local/central secondhand record store here in Oslo offers the album for 1400£. I told the dealer that not only did I possess the mint original, but also the trio's debut (which I bought for 10£), now hanging on his wall to the price of 1200£. Furthermore, I had the ultra-rare jazz/poetry-collab they released with poet/painter Trond Botnen, for which he offered me 1800£. I couldn't believe it. Yet my answer was: "I love playing and listening to these records, so I won't be parting with them".

And now they're being reissued on vinyl for the hipsters, and they're indeed buying them - preferably to learn from listening, not to be cool. Although they're a bit cool if they do learn from it. So everybody kinda wins.

The only ones that I was ever consciously aware of buying records for the purpose of investment were several noveau riche Russian oil men in the first decade of this century. That was the rumor, anyway. While it sucked that these newcomers who may not have been fans were making it hard to win auctions, the fact remains that they were doing it because rare record values continued in an unbroken upward trajectory, and as such, were good investments. Should we have contempt for the guys flipping houses too?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

And now they're being reissued on vinyl for the hipsters...
    Hey man, I am no hipster. And just recieved my vinyl copy last week for the same 20 quid you paid for the original. And I am happy as crazy, I couldn't care less if it is from the original masters, or if it sounds worse than the cd, or if my daughters could sell this after I pass for a small fortune.

I just bought an absolutely fantastic record and feel like when I bought Sabbath's Vol4 some 30 years ago...

Most of the recent release vinyl I've bought (and it aint much) has been sonically meh. I have Graham Nash's latest, Joe Bonnamassa's latest for two examples. Got to thinking, Pink Floyd's latest 'The endless River' is sonically terrific, so why this large difference? I'm not at home so I can't scrutinize the Nash/JoeB recording process notes, but found some info from Pink Floyds recording engineer who speaks to the digital/analog debate and what his ears hear. Of course, what credibility has he, probably doesn't even logon to ProgEars.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-endless-river
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_n_chucky View Post
    I still don't get the whole marriage thing when 50% ends in divorce.
    But 50% don’t.

And besides, divorce isn’t the end of the world (having done it myself). It’s painful and takes a toll on you, but eventually you get over it and move on. “‘Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.” There is no gain without risk. And when you find a compatible partner the gain is very, very satisfying.

But 50% don’t.

And besides, divorce isn’t the end of the world (having done it myself). It’s painful and takes a toll on you, but eventually you get over it and move on. “‘Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.” There is no gain without risk. And when you find a compatible partner the gain is very, very satisfying.
    I remember back going to my first Progday 96, my friends were single. I believe they are married now with kids (I have not been in contact with them since).

I'm just wondering if that crowd is still married, divorced, or remarried. I just don't get looking someone in the eyes and making vows "for better or for worse/til death do us part" and getting divorced later, stupid I mean people still make those vows? The millineul (sp?) generation is much different. In the spiritual crowds I'm in, people don't get married anymore and just have kids.

Anyhoo back on topic, in my area: Vinyl shops are making a comeback:

Record Store Day: Why are so many vinyl record stores opening in Palm Beach County?
    https://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/ente...-beach-county/

Analogopolis Records, Films, Games & Things
    829 Donald Ross Road
    Juno Beach, Florida 33408
    https://www.facebook.com/Analogopoli...0697141206056/

Rust and Wax
    Elizabeth Avenue Station, right in the heart of the West Palm Beach Warehouse District
    https://www.facebook.com/RustandWax/
    https://www.facebook.com/thestationwpb/

Confusion Records
    846 Park Ave
    Lake Park, Florida 33403
    https://www.facebook.com/Confusion-R...7780084943554/

Top Five Records
    https://www.facebook.com/topfiverecordsblog/

The Roasted Record
    724 S Colorado Ave
    Stuart, Florida 34994
    https://www.facebook.com/theroastedrecord/

I still don't get the whole marriage thing when 50% ends in divorce.
    But 50% don’t.

My answer to women who can't understand why men are so commitment phobic: because if and when the marriage crashes and burns, it's usually the man who loses half his stuff.

My answer to women who can't understand why men are so commitment phobic: because if and when the marriage crashes and burns, it's usually the man who loses half his stuff.
    And with all the hard-core progfans that spent over 10K in records, CDs, audio equipment...damn must be a mess in divorce court proceedings who gets the loot

This article 20 years ago by Marc Perkel, Never Get Married influenced me not to get married. Basically it's a great opportunity for the State to profit off your (man's) misery and favor the woman and her kids (which aren't even your own!) paying for their child support.
    https://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Mens...et_married.htm

^ ^ ^ ^

"Jesus-Is-Saviour.com" is absolutely, hands down, one of the dumbest sites on the internet. And that's really saying a LOT....

Unless it's actually a brilliant parody. In which case, I didn't detect that fact and that makes it one of the smartest sites on the internet.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

when the marriage crashes and burns, it's usually the man who loses
    Indeed.

Of course, there are cases like my sister's second divorce (still sorta ongoing, 2 1/2 years in), where the dude was 10 years her junior and sported a far less profitable profession (he's a psychiatric nurse, she's a big-firm accountant), ending with him claiming half of her possessions. He eventually had to settle for pickles still, and predictably held their 12 y.o. twins more or less responsible, meaning involvement by the CPS et al. And my sister being bipolar etc. didn't ease the matter, nor the fact that she had supported his career by covering his expenses and loans while he attended school.

In light of this shit, my marriages ended on a fair enough note. Relatively speaking.