Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not a Good Sign ~ Icebound

Hooray! Finally CDs are available 😎 You can order it directly from our website: www.notagoodsign.org
    For multiple orders just drop me an email at info.notagoodsign@gmail.com
    Thanks for your interest and support ❤

Ordered.
    This release seems very special. Thanks Ske for all your hard work. I will get it on the radio show as soon as I can.
    BG
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

A novel idea Ske but it didn't like the transatlantic shipping. The case lid hinge was broken, and pieces of 'ice' were underneath the tray and scattered everywhere. The back was also cracked. Wasn't salvageable and had to be replaced with a new case. You might want to reconsider the packaging, at least internationally. Now, the music, that's another issue!

Sorry about that. Jewelcase shipping can be dangerous indeed. Drop me an email here please: info.notagoodsign@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    A novel idea Ske but it didn't like the transatlantic shipping. The case lid hinge was broken, and pieces of 'ice' were underneath the tray and scattered everywhere. The back was also cracked. Wasn't salvageable and had to be replaced with a new case. You might want to reconsider the packaging, at least internationally. Now, the music, that's another issue!
    Mine arrived today. The front of the case was cracked, and a piece of "ice" was stuck on the playing side of the disc. Fortunately, I was able to remove the piece without scratching the CD. Mine has "ice" under the tray too, but it's supposed to be there, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Mine arrived today. The front of the case was cracked, and a piece of "ice" was stuck on the playing side of the disc. Fortunately, I was able to remove the piece without scratching the CD. Mine has "ice" under the tray too, but it's supposed to be there, isn't it?
    Received mine last week. No issues with the packaging or ice chips. Everything arrived intact. Great idea! Now I need to work to keep it that way!
    The music is very interesting, lavishly arranged and deserves repeated listening. I am reminded of some of my favorite bands - arrangements like Isildurs Bane Volume 4, organ and bass tones from Anglagard, and Ske's best playing like on 1000 Autumni with less dissonance. It's a record I can go back to often to find more to like.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Before I pull the trigger on this, I'm just going to ask again... any chance of this being stocked by a US vendor? If anyone in the band or a vendor reading this knows anything, please let us know.

Thanks,

Bill

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    A very positive review @ DPRP:
    http://dprp.net/reviews/2018-044#notagoodsign
    All in all, Not A Good Sign’s Icebound is an album of Italian prog that moves the genre on into very interesting and adventurous areas. The heavy symphonic prog here has focused melodies and punchy arrangements. Icebound is well worth investigating.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

I got the CD few weeks ago. No problem with the packaging. And the music is good! I think its my favourite Not A Good Sign album so far.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    A very positive review @ DPRP:
    http://dprp.net/reviews/2018-044#notagoodsign
    A fine review indeed, I agree with every word of it.

Gave it a first listen last night. It's far better than the debut, which I thought was a bit stiff and lacked energy. This one is really fine Prog-Rock firmly in the Italian tradition. If you're on the fence about this one, I can say that I don't think you'll end up disappointed if you buy it. It's excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Before I pull the trigger on this, I'm just going to ask again... any chance of this being stocked by a US vendor? If anyone in the band or a vendor reading this knows anything, please let us know.

Thanks,

Bill
    I know nothing about it. Maybe Greg has copies?

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I know nothing about it. Maybe Greg has copies?
    Thanks Ken, I'll ask Greg.

Bill

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Just got my copy in the mail today, and the CD case was in pristine condition. Looks like it made it through the postal system unscathed (thank goodness).

Number 166/500. I love the frosted outer case, and the little ice crystals inside. Very nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Just got my copy in the mail today, and the CD case was in pristine condition. Looks like it made it through the postal system unscathed (thank goodness).

Number 166/500. I love the frosted outer case, and the little ice crystals inside. Very nice touch.
    Just got mine today, #337. It arrived in perfect condition, for which I'm glad because this set me back about $35 USD with postage. Pricey for a CD. Still not sure why they didn't sell to the US vendors, but if the album is good, I'll forgive their business model.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Just got mine today, #337. It arrived in perfect condition, for which I'm glad because this set me back about $35 USD with postage. Pricey for a CD. Still not sure why they didn't sell to the US vendors, but if the album is good, I'll forgive their business model.

Bill
    Yeah, it was not exactly cheap -- but the music is definitely good, and I appreciated the extra touches that they put on the CD jewel case itself to make it special. I'm not sure why the decision was made not to sell through US vendors, but maybe the demand didn't seem high enough?

Oh well, if I helped support the band directly, I'm okay with it.

Didn't enjoy it like the previous two. I think that their debut is still their best; an essential slice of modern prog.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Didn't enjoy it like the previous two. I think that their debut is still their best; an essential slice of modern prog.
    It's a grower definitely. I don't know how many times you listened. It started hitting me after the 4th one. It is a very good one imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    It's a grower definitely. I don't know how many times you listened. It started hitting me after the 4th one. It is a very good one imo.
    For me it is certainly better then "from a Distance'. Maybe not quite as good as the debut but still a very good record.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I don't know how many times you listened.
    Three up till now.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

So I gave this two spins last night, the first over dinner and the second in the car coming home from band rehearsal.

First spin didn't really do much for me. In fairness we were eating dinner and it didn't have my full attention. But I listen to a lot of music this way, and the stuff I like best usually reaches out and grabs me in some way. Aside from the first 2 1/2 minute track, nothing really did that. But I figured I'd give it a close spin as I was heading out for band rehearsal.

This closer spin surely revealed a lot I had missed, and I found myself enjoying a lot of individual parts. This album is like a constant stream of new stuff coming at you. Very little repetition, and very little real differentiation between tracks, which go through so many different moods they become almost indistinguishable after the first minute or so. The exception to this for me was track six, Truth, which established a clear pattern early on and then seemed to develop well from there. I confess I got home before I quite go through all of Trapped In, so I'll withhold judgment on that track.

The other thing I noticed is that all the tracks are full of "big dramatic moments," mostly instrumental, like something huge is happening. But I have no idea what, and these moments don't resolve seem to anything, like some big conclusion. I'll have to read the booklet to see if there is some large theme going on that might help me make sense of this. If not, it only reinforces a sense or "arbitrary-ness" in the music that I was feeling.

For now, I'm withholding full judgment on the album. There are lots of great moments, particularly the instrumental sections where they turn it up a notch. The vocalist sound so much like the dude from Landberk I keep feeling like this is Landberk on steroids. We'll see if the structures start to come together for me and if any parts start to become "memorable," which is always my sign of an album being good to great instead of simply OK.

Bill

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Finally checking out NAGS. Started with Icebound, which sounds very good. Next to the debut!