Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Soft Machine

Soft Machine

The Machine will be coming my way in support of their 50 year anniversary in October. A ways out but I can't resist. Thoughts?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Sounds like a good night out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    The Machine will be coming my way in support of their 50 year anniversary in October. A ways out but I can't resist. Thoughts?
    Not much point in holding out for their 100th anniversary, sez I.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I saw them Athens, Greece, 2008, in a basement of 200 capacity. Which was not even full. Completely no advertisement, I found out about the show by accident some hours before it took place. I had only followed them then up to Softs 4, so the only one I recognized was Hugh. A very sensitive and fragile man he seemed. The stage was some 2 feet higher than the audience. It was a very good show. If anyone knows the line-up at the time, I'd be glad to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Not much point in holding out for their 100th anniversary, sez I.

No kidding. I will go see them anywhere in a half decent travel zone. Back in the day, I discovered Fusion SM before the original SM. iirc, Softs and 7 were the first two albums I had by them. Everything changed when I snagged Triple Echo in a delete bin, and the family tree included became my record buying bible for a years after. lol So yeah, I always thought John Marshall was a cool drummer ...only wish Elton was still alive, but Theo is as good a replacement as any!

They really shouldn't call themselves that. Seriously.

'Soft Machine songbook' or 'Legacy' or whatever, but not the mint name. That monumentally -legendary- band dissappeared decades ago, IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

'Soft Machine songbook' or 'Legacy' or whatever, but not the mint name. That monumentally -legendary- band dissappeared decades ago, IMO.
    not disagreeing - and don't mean to hijack the thread - but how do you feel about gong calling themselves gong without any original members? or, perhaps more importantly, without Mr. Allen?

You're absolutely right. This tour is a disgusting joke and despite being as huge a SM fan as there is, there's no way in good conscience I can support this.

What offensive crap that is. I called my lawyer and he said they have every right to use the name. Legal = moral = right = good, as we all know from Plato's Republic onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    You're absolutely right. This tour is a disgusting joke and despite being as huge a SM fan as there is, there's no way in good conscience I can support this.
    I just love the music too but let me say two words here. "Musical Box"?
    Last edited by Staun; 04-13-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I just love the music too but let me say two words here. "Music Box"?
    I love the music, too, so I will also say two words here: "Goat Vacation." Thank you.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I love the music, too, so I will also say two words here: "Goat Vacation." Thank you.
    Thank you sir.

They do it to get asses in seats.
    Simple as that.
    That's exactly the purpose of using 'the mint name'.

May be a shame that they have to do that, but that doesn't change the fact that they do have to do that, and that 75% of the current lineup did play in Soft Machine during an excellent (if not 'legendary') period of the band's life, and it would be 100% if Elton hadn't died (damn that death thing, anyway).

IMO
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

So, don't go. They won't notice or even miss you. I guarantee it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

This thread has turned into a "Yes" thread, lol.
    If I can I'm going because I have never seen any version of the band, and 3 key members is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    This thread has turned into a "Yes" thread, lol.
    If I can I'm going because I have never seen any version of the band, and 3 key members is fine by me.
    Excellent reasoning.

I'm going because I expect the music to be good!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm gonna go, but say on Progressive Ears that I didn't go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post

Sig worthy!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Excellent reasoning.

I'm going because I expect the music to be good!
    Absolutely, that too.

Look - for some people (not me, but I don't think it's a crazy thing to feel that way) - the pinnacle of the band is the band with Holdsworth.

I saw that tour. Two of the four people touring as Soft Machine in a few months in the USA for the 1st time in 44 years were on that tour.

That's pretty good, imo, 44 years later.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I would also go but that's not the point. The discussion of whether they are entitled to use the name was valid some 40+ years ago. Particularly in their case, possibly because of the magnitude of personalities of the original line-up. To have the same discussion in 2018 seems completely irrelevant - except from the very small corner of the world that PE comprises.

So, don't go. They won't notice or even miss you. I guarantee it.
    They probably will. And they'll miss the people I'll make certain don't attend - in the NYC area, anyway. People should know the truth about this sad-sack bunch of false advertisers glomming off a name....

They probably will. And they'll miss the people I'll make certain don't attend - in the NYC area, anyway. People should know the truth about this sad-sack bunch of false advertisers glomming off a name....
    You have control over some kind of Army of Facelifters that follow your commands? Wow, what a frightening thought...

The only sad-sack here is you, Nestor.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com