Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Stephen Hawking

RIP Stephen Hawking

One of our greatest minds.

He is now the stuff of the stars he spoke and dreamed of.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Sad to hear this.

The guy had a much longer life than many might have expected initially. Always had a lot of respect for him and his determination not to be limited by his circumstances.

Amazing what he was able to do, then add his disability to it, almost super human.

A beyond inspirational specimen of the human spirit even more than his immense contributions to science. Over the years his sense of humor for someone with his disability consistently made me shake my head in admiration while laughing. Mankind SHOULD miss him. RIP.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Have been and always will be in awe of what he accomplished in his life; he made our world better by his presence.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Wow. Sorry to hear this. How many people are immortalized in Legos?

I would like to think he found a fold in space and time which allows him to continue to do his thing in another dimension or galaxy.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    R.I.P.

Rest now from your labor, fellow traveler.

Sincere thanks for your good work.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

The world is significantly less intelligent now. The brightest light always leaves the darkest shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Have been and always will be in awe of what he accomplished in his life; he made our world better by his presence.
    Perfectly said. Thank you Mr. Hawking for your contributions to science and knowledge and for your indomitable spirit. Both leave me truly in awe.

Bill

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, and thank you, Mr. Hawking.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

A true visionary RIP

Banned
    I too am in awe at what he accomplished with his powerful intellect and imagination, how he was able to explore the mysteries of the cosmos with the power of his thought. What an inspiration and example for humanity.

His presence among us will be sorely missed. He goes from mere mortal to legend.

He was born on the same day as Galileo's death and died on Einstein's birthday.

RIP
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    The world is significantly less intelligent now.
    Yep. And, regretfully, the world seems to have a lack of appreciation for intellectuals.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

RIP to a beautiful mind.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I have some problems with how he lived his personal life, but I can't be anything but appreciative of his work, including his sense of humor. His appearance on ST:TNG was a hoot and a half.

Thank you, Dr. Hawking, for all you have done for we who live on this pale blue dot. I truly hope you find the answers you sought all your life.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

"All of my life, I have been fascinated by the big questions that face us, and have tried to find scientific answers to them. Perhaps that is why I have sold more books on physics than Madonna has on sex." - Dr. Hawking

Amazing mind, and to live with ALS as long as he did is remarkable.

Brilliant mind, inspiring story of survival against high odds.
    I suppose his passing should prod me to take another pass at "A Brief History Of Time". A best seller that few have completed reading.

It did not take long for contrary views on his science and fame to come out.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw...never-learned/
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    The world is significantly less intelligent now.
    No, it is not. There are 1,000 physicists who are as smart and active as Hawking was even though he was way up there.

Lots of interesting Stephen Hawking quotes here:
    https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/stephen_hawking

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    No, it is not. There are 1,000 physicists who are as smart and active as Hawking was even though he was way up there.

And I bet every one of those physicists have read and studied and learned from Hawking, making them smarter than they otherwise would be. So I also disagree with the statement that "the world is significantly less intelligent now"--because the world is more intelligent due to what Hawking has done and written, and for the countless scientists and physicists that he has inspired along the way to keep learning and trying to understand further.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    And I bet every one of those physicists have read and studied and learned from Hawking, making them smarter than they otherwise would be. So I also disagree with the statement that "the world is significantly less intelligent now"--because the world is more intelligent due to what Hawking has done and written, and for the countless scientists and physicists that he has inspired along the way to keep learning and trying to understand further.
    You two are both over-reacting. It was a sentiment to his intellect and contribution to understanding.