Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Record Store Day 2018

One of the great, lost Sun Ra releases, Astro Black, which only came out in the 70s on vinyl from Impulse, is due for release on RSD.

There's another Ra as well....

We're getting them, but the 1st one goes to me!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I hope anyone plunking down $100 for a single blank cassette is putting it in a really expensive tape machine, be it car or home.

Banned
    ^^^
    Absolute insanity I had to see it to believe it.

Right now you can get:

TDK MA-XG 90 LOT of 9 type IV METAL japan BRAND NEW SEALED
    Brand New
    $1,200.00
    or Best Offer
    Free Shipping

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Really?
    On my phone so I can't post a link, (or at least I don't know how is more accurate) but yeah I seen some on eBay go for major Bank. I Googled TDK MA-XG 90 and was shocked. These were expensive blank tapes to begin with, usually the cheapest I would see them was $9.99 USD for a 2-pack of TDK MA-X 90s (never tried the G series) back in the 90s

^ I'm going to have to have a look in the closet. I never would have guessed. Seems pretty whack to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^
    Absolute insanity I had to see it to believe it.

Right now you can get:

TDK MA-XG 90 LOT of 9 type IV METAL japan BRAND NEW SEALED
    Brand New
    $1,200.00
    or Best Offer
    Free Shipping
    That's the asking price. Have they sold for that amount?

Banned
    ^^^
    Why don't we bring back wire recordings while we're at it? A lot cheaper on eBay and 100% metal.

IMG_0015.JPG

I don't know what the metal tapes have sold for but they all seem to be listed at crazy prices...

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I'm going to have to have a look in the closet. I never would have guessed. Seems pretty whack to me.
    Who would have thought blank cassettes would have been that much of an investment? If you have high quality cassettes and it's in their original packaging oh, and of course you don't tend to get back into recording on cassettes, then by all means make some extra cash before the hipsters figure out there being duped. After keeping vinyl afloat for the last 10 years it seems hipsters are now turning their desires toward cassette consoles and blank tapes

Well, I had a look. I could have sworn I still had some Maxell Metal Cassettes, but if I do, they aren't where they should be. I have regular type II Maxell, Fuji, and TDK. However, I did find an unopened 4 pack of Denon HD8 100s. It does say Metal Particle on the wrapping, so I'll have to do some research.

You should easily be able to make your money back on those type II's or do even better. While they don't command the price of the high-end type-4s they are a notch above normal position tape, which sucks. And the Denon HD8s could fetch a high dollar as well. The TDK and Maxell brands still carry a lot of clout because they continued to make/market recordable media throughout the digital trends.

^ Thanks for the info. The Denons are also Type II, so while salable, probably not gonna yield a big return.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    One of the great, lost Sun Ra releases, Astro Black, which only came out in the 70s on vinyl from Impulse, is due for release on RSD.

There's another Ra as well....
    That's way cool! Proof that some good does in fact come from Record Store Day, in spite of the negative press.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    We're getting them, but the 1st one goes to me!
    Totally understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    This is so nuts. Even when I owned a good home cassette player (Onkyo 3-head, HX-Pro, Dolby C) and a Nakamichi TD500 car deck this still wouldn't have been tempting. No commercially released cassette ever sounded as good as the ones I recorded myself, and the only home recorded cassettes I ever heard that rivaled the source it was recorded from was made on high end type-4 metal blank cassettes that are no longer manufactured (AFAIK) and if you can find one still in its original packaging it will cost a small fortune.

I can't say I blame record companies for doing stuff like this when they watch the news and see what complete dupes millennials are. What's next? 8-track? Spring loaded reverb consoles?
    I totally agree. My only interest in cassettes was using them to record CDs and vinyl. I don't think I even owned a dozen prerecorded cassettes.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    You should easily be able to make your money back on those type II's or do even better. While they don't command the price of the high-end type-4s they are a notch above normal position tape, which sucks. And the Denon HD8s could fetch a high dollar as well. The TDK and Maxell brands still carry a lot of clout because they continued to make/market recordable media throughout the digital trends.
    I still have a bunch of sealed blank TDK Maxells and Denons. I don't think I ever threw them out. I should probably look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    I totally agree. My only interest in cassettes was using them to record CDs and vinyl. I don't think I even owned a dozen prerecorded cassettes.
    I owned three of them: ATTWT, Double Vision and Night Moves... all craps that lasted max two years
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.