Page 32 of 125 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 NFL Discussion Thread

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    ^^^
    The Pats have benefitted for years by being in the division with the weakest competition, which has made their path to the SB much easier. Weak division, easy division wins contributes to best record, home field advantage in playoffs etc., while other teams in more competitive divisions have to slug it out more, lose more games, means they don't get home field in playoffs as much.
    All true but it doesn't detract from what they've been able to achieve, they've had to beat the best the AFC & NFC have to offer along the way.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

It's not The Pat's fault that the other 3 teams in their division have been mediocre to just horrible over 15 or more seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    All true but it doesn't detract from what they've been able to achieve, they've had to beat the best the AFC & NFC have to offer along the way.
    True. I think it's also fair to say that the AFC in general has been dominated by a handful of teams (Pats, Steelers, Colts, and Broncos) over the last 15 years (since the change to 4 divisions).

In fact, I did a quick recap. Here are the 30 appearances in the AFC championship over the last 15 seasons:

Pats - 11
    Steelers - 5
    Colts - 4
    Broncos - 3
    Ravens - 3
    Jets - 2
    Chargers - 1
    Jags - 1

Contrast that to the NFC: Packers, Eagles (4), Panthers, Falcons, Seahawks, 49ers (3), Bears, Saints, Giants, Cardinals, Vikings (2)
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    It's not The Pat's fault that the other 3 teams in their division have been mediocre to just horrible over 15 or more seasons.
    Not saying its their fault, just stating the facts that they've greatly benefitted from the weaker competition. Heck, the Bills haven't even been in the playoffs since what, 1999?

As a Vikings fan, that same type of thing was pointed out during the Vikes great run from 1968-1978, that the other NFL/NFC Central teams were all pretty down and the Vikes dominated that division, wrapped up the div crown and home field advantage early, and thus had the advantage of
    playing in December/Jan in frozen Metropolitan Stadium, something teams like the Rams and Redskins could never deal with. That helped get them to 4 Super Bowls in 8 years (and yeah, they didn't fare as well as the Pats in the SB).
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-05-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Andy Reid's Eagles also benefited from a bad NFC East when he was here, too. The NFC, in general, wasn't that strong when he was here. Now it seems that the balance of power has shifted somewhat, with most of the better teams in the NFC now.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Not saying its their fault, just stating the facts that they've greatly benefitted from the weaker competition. Heck, the Bills haven't even been in the playoffs since what, 1999?
    Ummm....unless you don't count their wild card appearance last year.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    True. I think it's also fair to say that the AFC in general has been dominated by a handful of teams (Pats, Steelers, Colts, and Broncos) over the last 15 years (since the change to 4 divisions).

In fact, I did a quick recap. Here are the 30 appearances in the AFC championship over the last 15 seasons:

Pats - 11
    Steelers - 5
    Colts - 4
    Broncos - 3
    Ravens - 3
    Jets - 2
    Chargers - 1
    Jags - 1

Contrast that to the NFC: Packers, Eagles (4), Panthers, Falcons, Seahawks, 49ers (3), Bears, Saints, Giants, Cardinals, Vikings (2)
    I don't see those two lists as that different except for the Pats. Bunch of teams between 1 & 5 appearances. And don't tell me the Steelers, colts & Broncos of that era were weak teams.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I love this series and as a Purple fan I am sad to report that every word here is true, especially regarding the OL:

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-s...ngs-1828711873
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I don't see those two lists as that different except for the Pats. Bunch of teams between 1 & 5 appearances. And don't tell me the Steelers, colts & Broncos of that era were weak teams.
    I'm not sure you understood my intent. I'm agreeing with you. My point was that the AFC has been dominated by a handful of teams in the last 15 years, and the "lack of competition" in the AFC is/was not limited to the AFC East. The AFC championship appearance list clearly supports that when you consider that 2/3s of the 30 appearances came from just 3 teams. And the Colts, Broncos, and Steelers tended to be competitive many of the seasons they didn't get to the AFC championship.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

ok then
    Ian

I'm behind the times... I just found out that there's to be a football league operating between Feb and Apr next year? Former NFL people involved? I'm curious.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'm behind the times... I just found out that there's to be a football league operating between Feb and Apr next year? Former NFL people involved? I'm curious.
    All Nike spokespeople?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    All Nike spokespeople?
    Yes. Standing during the anthem can get you banned from the league.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Ummm....unless you don't count their wild card appearance last year.
    Yes, my bad. Nothing since 99 until last year. That 3 point outing knocked them out in the blink of an eye, so forgot about it. That ended the longest playoff drought among any team in the four major professional leagues in North America.

Yup, the AAF is set to start in 2019 I believe. The XFL is also supposed to make a comeback either next year or the following year.

Yes. Standing during the anthem can get you banned from the league.
    No, but kneeling can.

I think we just need national coverage for the Lingerie Football League.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I think we just need national coverage for the Lingerie Football League.

Ahh Philly fans never disappoint...Super Bowl champs and at the end of the 1st half of the first game of the next season...they boo.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

This is why starters need to play more in exhibition games. This game is hideous, nothing more than a glorified exhibition game. Penalties galore, timing off for both offenses, just dreary conservative August like football.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-06-2018 at 11:07 PM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Man, Nick Foles is playing like, well, Nick Foles
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Well, that was a world class bonehead play. Shaqtin a fool: The NFL edition.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Nice to see the refs step in and take over this football game
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

narrow escape... exciting finish
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?