Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Gong - Angel's Egg

A solid album... not quite as great as YOU but excellent nonetheless
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    A solid album... not quite as great as YOU but excellent nonetheless
    YOU are spot-on Sir.

Parts of You is more impressing (eg: the first 5 tracks) but I prefer Angels Egg due to its more 'coherent diversity'

"I left my body on my bed
    I flew away inside my head
    To dive right through the moon and find
    A perfect world inside my mind
    I want to take you there
    Smiling through your hair

That is why I sing this song
    And why there is a band called Gong
    Voices in our heads are calling
    Ringing bells and singing tales of
    How this world could be
    If only we could learn to melt together
    Make such lovely weather

Maybe we will blow it like in bygone ages
    Maybe we will make it if we care
    You'll be there
    We'll be there - love…

Love is how you live it
    Love is how you give it
    Love is how you make it
    Love is how you take it
    First you make it with your body
    Everything you give to share
    When you come together then you're
    One with lovers everywhere, everywhere…"

I think this is one of the most moving songs ever. And it gives the best idea of who the man was. RIP and thank you David.

Since I am kind of reluctant to search all my Soft Machine music right now, does anyone remember which SM tune is Sold to the Highest Buddha from?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Since I am kind of reluctant to search all my Soft Machine music right now, does anyone remember which SM tune is Sold to the Highest Buddha from?
    ? - Sold to the Highest Buddha from is from Gong: Angels Egg - is it inspired from an SM tune?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    ? - Sold to the Highest Buddha from is from Gong: Angels Egg - is it inspired from an SM tune?
    I am pretty sure I have heard the theme before, I thought it would be common place among you people. I will check, if no one can help.

I am pretty sure I have heard the theme before
    Mike Howlett based the bass-riff (and thus assisting guitar pick) on a small theme off of "Esther's Nose Job" from SM's Volume Two. This, however, was initially lifted from the repeated soprano-sax lick in "Invocation & Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin" from The Mothers of Invention's Absolutely Free, where it was played in 4/4 (as opposed to SM's reworking of it).

And while speaking of the question as to "whether" the MoI exerted influence on progressive rock in general; sectionizing a descriptive narrative title such as "Invocation & Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin" (released in spring 1967)- is there really any doubt?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Mike Howlett based the bass-riff (and thus assisting guitar pick) on a small theme off of "Esther's Nose Job" from SM's Volume Two. This, however, was initially lifted from the repeated soprano-sax lick in "Invocation & Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin" from The Mothers of Invention's Absolutely Free, where it was played in 4/4 (as opposed to SM's reworking of it).

And while speaking of the question as to "whether" the MoI exerted influence on progressive rock in general; sectionizing a descriptive narrative title such as "Invocation & Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin" (released in spring 1967)- is there really any doubt?
    You're the man Richard. No doubt about it. I was browsing Softs on YouTube and couldn't find it at all, and started getting paranoid. Cheers to you.

You're the man Richard.
    Well, honestly I'm more of a kinda mutant.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Other than that, Gong are definitely best known for being the band who would go on to sport a member (40 years down the line) who'd attemptively hit on the wife of an unfathomably relevant PE-contributor
    Thank you for posting this rather weak attempt, because embarrassingly enough I need to set the record straight even though the posts were removed quickly after I sent them.

The party animal in question wasn't from Gong at all, but from another band altogether, (shows you what I know, and how trying to be a wise-ass on social media goes sometimes - embarrassing indeed)

I have apologized to Kavus profusely for any aspersions and for MY bad joke

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post
    Thank you for posting this rather weak attempt
    Well there you go. But although a very, very weak one, it wasn't really an attempt.

I am probably a minority but Angels Egg is my favourite from the trilogy (and perhaps from the entire Gong catalog, which is a top 5 band for me, so yeah... high on my list )
    Like mentioned before, it is the most coherent in its diversity
    It is a great balance between the spacy sound of You to the silliness song based Flying Teapot.
    I love DA vocals (and spirit overall) and AE has more of them than You, so that also might contribute to my love for this album.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I am probably a minority but Angels Egg is my favourite from the trilogy
    You are not alone

"I left my body on my bed
    I flew away inside my head
    To dive right through the moon and find
    A perfect world inside my mind
    I want to take you there
    Smiling through your hair

That is why I sing this song
    And why there is a band called Gong
    Voices in our heads are calling
    Ringing bells and singing tales of
    How this world could be
    If only we could learn to melt together
    Make such lovely weather

Maybe we will blow it like in bygone ages
    Maybe we will make it if we care
    You'll be there
    We'll be there - love…

Love is how you live it
    Love is how you give it
    Love is how you make it
    Love is how you take it
    First you make it with your body
    Everything you give to share
    When you come together then you're
    One with lovers everywhere, everywhere…"

I think this is one of the most moving songs ever. And it gives the best idea of who the man was. RIP and thank you David.
    I sang that to my girls when they were little. They called it the "la la song".
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I sang that to my girls when they were little. They called it the "la la song".

What a stretch of albums though from Camembert Electrique right up to Expresso II, and the most recent two fit in well with those periods in my opinion. So much great music.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    What a stretch of albums though from Camembert Electrique right up to Expresso II, and the most recent two fit in well
    They pretty much catch on to the beginnings of the trilogy in sound and vibe. It's cool and fun and sometimes irresistably groovy stuff, and spiritual to boot.

It's been all too long since I truly binged on allthings Gong.

I like Pierre Moerlen's Gong, but this is defenitly not for me. Perhaps I should look into Gazeuse. The first Gong I have is Expresso II.

It's been all too long since I truly binged on allthings Gong.
    If you did the Canterbury Binge properly, this wouldn't happen. It's OK, you're only just a nut cutter.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

^ Nutcutter, butt putter, slut gutter - you name it.

A genuine Gong fringe-binge would have to take in stough by Daevid solo, Steve H., some Planet & Mutha, possibly some Tim Blake et al. It'd demand a whole evening and at least half a bouteille.

A genuine Gong fringe-binge
    Better than A Genuine Gong Funeral.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I like Pierre Moerlen's Gong, but this is defenitly not for me. Perhaps I should look into Gazeuse. The first Gong I have is Expresso II.
    I love both incarnations, so I would recommend working backward from Expresso II... Gazeuse, Shamal, YOU. YOU has more of the long compositions with incendiary playing from all
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I love all 3 trilogy albums, along with many other studio and live albums by Gong and related solo stuff, but I'm going to say this may be my favorite by a tiny nose... If a great-sounding CD of Flying Teapot ever comes out, that may change. My only issue with You is the bit-too-long-for-my-taste "jam" tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Better than A Genuine Gong Funeral.
    I see what you did there.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes