Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Man - first album

Automatic Man - first album

Automatic Man's first album, featuring Michael Shrieve, Pat Thrall, Doni Harvey and Bayeté, has been featured on PE a couple of times.
    In 2004 Lemon Recordings (a division of Cherry Red Records) released a CD-version.
    For the first edition though they used a very bad LP (I guess the original master tapes aren't there anymore), but while creating it the needle dropped back in track 4 without someone noticing it.
    Back then I contacted Cherry Red about it and a few months later they sent me the second edition without the fault (although still sounding not very good).

Recently Japanese shops are selling the CD in what appears to be a new version (July 2017) with a new catalogue number (OTCD-6143, created by Octave).
    The only new thing about this version though is the OBI with the mentioned catalogue number.
    The sealed CD itself is the first edition from Lemon Recordings!

Be aware when you want to order this great album.
    Here's a link to one of those shops: http://diskunion.net/progre/ct/detail/XAT-1245673637

Automatic Man! Just this past week or two I've been spinning this one a lot. Great, great record. I have the original US vinyl on Island. Doesn't sound too bad.

I'll have to go back and listen. I never noticed any faults with my Lemon CD.

One of my desert island albums.

It is a solid album. Can't say the same for the disaster that was the follow-up.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Automatic Man's first album, featuring Michael Shrieve, Pat Thrall, Doni Harvey and Bayeté, has been featured on PE a couple of times.
    In 2004 Lemon Recordings (a division of Cherry Red Records) released a CD-version.
    For the first edition though they used a very bad LP (I guess the original master tapes aren't there anymore), but while creating it the needle dropped back in track 4 without someone noticing it.
    Back then I contacted Cherry Red about it and a few months later they sent me the second edition without the fault (although still sounding not very good).
    What do you mean when you say "the needle dropped back?"

I saw this album a million times back in the day in cut-out bins. I'd also see it in Goldmine under a Prog heading, but I always assumed it was BS. So it's Prog-Rock and worth getting?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I saw this album a million times back in the day in cut-out bins. I'd also see it in Goldmine under a Prog heading, but I always assumed it was BS. So it's Prog-Rock and worth getting?
    depends on one's tastes I guess... the singer annoys me (big surprise I know ) He seems to be trying too hard to sound like Hendrix
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Thanks LP. When I get the time, I'll listen to the full album clip posted above, but it's good to hear others opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Thanks LP. When I get the time, I'll listen to the full album clip posted above, but it's good to hear others opinions.
    It's a wonderful album. I really wish Winwood would have explored progressive rock more than he did.

I love this album, what a great band! The follow up without Shrieve is different, though I wouldn't personally call it a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What do you mean when you say "the needle dropped back?"
    On the fade-out of One 'n One, you can hear the sound of the needle skipping and bouncing back about 90 seconds into the track. Like someone knocking the turntable during the recording phase. And nobody in the label seems to have noticed it, before releasing the CD.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

This is one of those albums that seemed to be in EVERYONE'S milk crates back in the day. Sounds very much "of its time", but holds up pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    On the fade-out of One 'n One, you can hear the sound of the needle skipping and bouncing back about 90 seconds into the track. Like someone knocking the turntable during the recording phase. And nobody in the label seems to have noticed it, before releasing the CD.
    Thanks for explaining it more clearly than I did.

And to FrippWire: maybe you have the second edition, which doesn't have this unexpected sound-effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    It's a wonderful album. I really wish Winwood would have explored progressive rock more than he did.
    I guess you mean more than he did on Stomu Yamashta's Go; he's not on/in Automatic Man.

...Speaking of Hendrix rip offs - Here is something I have been diggin' for at least a decade:

https://www.facebook.com/20255900976...1981766983644/

Sorry for the hijack. Anytime I hear Hendrix mentioned.. I have to go back and listen to this...

Back to your regularly scheduled song appreciation thread.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'd forgotten about this album and haven't seen it since... way back, possibly in a second hand record shop in the late 80's. Didn't buy it then, but bought it on Discogs now. Needless to say, I bought it on vinyl, thanks for mentioning the inexcusably bad CD transfer! Looking forward to hearing Thrall and Shrieve together, two underrated and certainly underexposed musicians.

Sold it years ago.

Both albums are singular in vision. The debut is a sonic vortex of the spacey hard rock of Mahogany Rush*, the percussive electro-classical experimentation of the Yamashta/Shrieve Go project, and maximalist soul/funk. The third influence is more exclusively the focus on Visitors.

*Once-and-future Shrieve-bandmate Neal Schon would mine similar territory with Journey on the SF band's Next LP (1977).

Here's a nice overview of the band: http://badcatrecords.com/BadCat/AUTOMATICman.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    depends on one's tastes I guess... the singer annoys me (big surprise I know ) He seems to be trying too hard to sound like Hendrix
    Does Doni Harvey sing any lead vocals? I believe he had a serious Hendrix fixation down to his looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    Does Doni Harvey sing any lead vocals? I believe he had a serious Hendrix fixation down to his looks.
    1. Atlantis Rising Fanfare: instrumental
    2. Comin Through: lead vocal: Bayeté (a.k.a. Todd Cochran)
    3. My Pearl: lead vocal Bayeté
    4. One 'n One: lead vocal: Bayeté
    5. Newspapers: lead vocal: Bayeté
    6. Geni-Geni: lead vcals: Pat Thrall
    7. Right Back Down: lead vocal: Bayeté
    8. There's A Way: lead vocal: Bayeté & Doni Harvey
    9. Interstellar Tracking Devices: lead vocal: Bayeté
    10. Automatic Man: lead vocals: Pat Thrall & Bayeté
    11. Atlantis Rising Theme - Turning Of The Axis: instrumental

Funny that Peter Gabriel "used" Bayeté only as a keyboarder on his second album. I guess if he had him on his more soulful albums like So he had him do some singing too
    Bayeté also plays keys on Wilding/Bonus' Pleasure Signals.
    Full discography: https://www.discogs.com/artist/45045...0&type=Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Zaragon View Post

*Once-and-future Shrieve-bandmate Neal Schon would mine similar territory with Journey on the SF band's Next LP (1977).
    Those pre-Perry Journey records definitely mine the eponymous Automatic Man album's territory!

NEXT is my favorite Journey album. Side 1 is kinda dirge like, slow and stoner. Side 2 rocks hard. Love the whole album.

I finally re-listened to my copy and it does not contain the slipping fault. Thank goodness.