Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimara Sajn - first new track of 2018

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Thanks Kim! Indeed, I have been meaning to purchase more of your music. Perhaps now is a good time to delve into some tunes on the streaming page and pick one or two (or three) CDs to scoop up next.
    I know you already have a few and, of course, the streams are always available anytime for listening. If you do find some things you like and would want to own, let us know. As you're aware, we'll likely include a bonus CD or two (or three). We're odd that way

All the best to you and everyone here at PE

Kim
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

If you tell me Todd Rundgren wasn't a HUGE part of your musical upbringing I'd be shocked! Great stuff!
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    If you tell me Todd Rundgren wasn't a HUGE part of your musical upbringing I'd be shocked! Great stuff!
    He wasn't as big in my "musical upbringing" per se as one might think, actually. I grew up listening to everything especially jazz and modern classical music (my mother was a fine jazz musician and producer in her own right). By the time i discovered Todd (the first Runt album around 1970), i'd released my own first album and had just moved to L.A. from Vancouver, BC. My plan was to become a recording engineer/producer and "make a name for myself" in the music business. By this time, my music already shared some characteristics with his, as it turned out. A friend in L.A. turned me on to Todd because he saw similarities with my music and attitude. Todd was far less well known back then.

Radio, especially FM radio in general, was the biggest influence on my musical thoughts, i'd say. Those were good times to grow up - late 50s-70s - as regards musical stimulation.

That said, Todd and i do share many of the same odd mix of musical influences (Copland, Bernstein, Bacharach, British rock, R&B, Laura Nyro, etc). Primarily my interest in his work at first had to do with his recordings and his approach to that. I've been a recording nerd since i was around 7 (1961). Everything and anything tape related had my fascination. Todd and others fell into that camp along with Frank Zappa and other more avant-classical tape workers.

But don't get me wrong, I admire his music making as well, needless to say, and was an early fan. He certainly was a big influence and i get the comparison often (which is FINE with me). But i was somewhat more fully formed by the time i heard his music than some realise. Mainly because i'm more of a geezer than folks realise

One of my proudest moments: A dear friend of mine is close to Todd and was in the studio with him back during his sessions for The Tubes' "Love Bomb" album. After the session my friend was driving Todd home. He had my album "Why Not? No." playing in his car. It's one of my older albums (1982). Todd was so totally loving it - using words like "amazing","beautiful", yada yada and wondering who it was and where he could get a copy. Seriously. When my friend told me this, i thought he was making shit up and trying to hurt me Needless to say, i sent him a copy of the album and a note of thanks for the comments. I take some pleasure in the thought that my music had somehow moved him as much as his moves me.

Thank you for the kind words, Dean. I'm so happy to know you enjoy the track!

Kim

P.S: As for my being a Rundgren fan, one need only look at my PE signature
    Last edited by Polypet; 02-24-2018 at 09:11 PM.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Thanks for the bio, Kim. Rundgren knows great music when he hears it!

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    I know you already have a few and, of course, the streams are always available anytime for listening. If you do find some things you like and would want to own, let us know. As you're aware, we'll likely include a bonus CD or two (or three). We're odd that way
    Oh I remember the bonus CDs.

I think next I'm gonna go with Why Not? No, Pop, and... something else.

He wasn't as big in my "musical upbringing" per se as one might think, actually. I grew up listening to everything especially jazz and modern classical music (my mother was a fine jazz musician and producer in her own right). By the time i discovered Todd (the first Runt album around 1970), i'd released my own first album and had just moved to L.A. from Vancouver, BC. My plan was to become a recording engineer/producer and "make a name for myself" in the music business. By this time, my music already shared some characteristics with his, as it turned out. A friend in L.A. turned me on to Todd because he saw similarities with my music and attitude. Todd was far less well known back then.

Radio, especially FM radio in general, was the biggest influence on my musical thoughts, i'd say. Those were good times to grow up - late 50s-70s - as regards musical stimulation.

That said, Todd and i do share many of the same odd mix of musical influences (Copland, Bernstein, Bacharach, British rock, R&B, Laura Nyro, etc). Primarily my interest in his work at first had to do with his recordings and his approach to that. I've been a recording nerd since i was around 7 (1961). Everything and anything tape related had my fascination. Todd and others fell into that camp along with Frank Zappa and other more avant-classical tape workers.

But don't get me wrong, I admire his music making as well, needless to say, and was an early fan. He certainly was a big influence and i get the comparison often (which is FINE with me). But i was somewhat more fully formed by the time i heard his music than some realise. Mainly because i'm more of a geezer than folks realise

One of my proudest moments: A dear friend of mine is close to Todd and was in the studio with him back during his sessions for The Tubes' "Love Bomb" album. After the session my friend was driving Todd home. He had my album "Why Not? No." playing in his car. It's one of my older albums (1982). Todd was so totally loving it - using words like "amazing","beautiful", yada yada and wondering who it was and where he could get a copy. Seriously. When my friend told me this, i thought he was making shit up and trying to hurt me Needless to say, i sent him a copy of the album and a note of thanks for the comments. I take some pleasure in the thought that my music had somehow moved him as much as his moves me.
    Great story! After reading this, I went online to stream Why Not? No. and that's why I'm ordering it next.

Initially I didn't realize that you and Rundgren were contemporaries; so the musical commonality between you guys is even more interesting because of it being an organic similarity rather than a conscious or manufactured one (if that makes any sense). One that stems naturally from having some similar background aspects.

Well, he is 6 years older than i am, though i was precocious. And definitely aspects of his music had a deep impact on my own. I'm not surprised folks hear the influence in some of my recordings.

We saw your order for CDs come through, btw. I'm preparing them even as i type. They'll go out sometime this week. We've added a bonus CD for you also: PP's most recent "Man As Landscape/New Variations". Check that out ahread of time, if you're so inclined. We hope you like it

All the best to everyone. Happy Wednesday!

K

Well, he is 6 years older than i am, though i was precocious. And definitely aspects of his music had a deep impact on my own. I'm not surprised folks hear the influence in some of my recordings.

We saw your order for CDs come through, btw. I'm preparing them even as i type. They'll go out sometime this week. We've added a bonus CD for you also: PP's most recent "Man As Landscape/New Variations". Check that out ahread of time, if you're so inclined. We hope you like it

All the best to everyone. Happy Wednesday!

K
    Oh I didn't mean to prematurely age you or anything. More like "ballpark" contemporaries.

Thank you for the bonus CD! I'll check it out online too, but I'm sure I'll like it.

Just another bump to say that Kimara's music is really treating me right these days. Chillaxing to the sweet soniference (not a real word, but should be) of "Otter Stream" right now, and it's just so beautiful. I wish everyone could hear this stuff.

Today I actually lent my copy of Life Stories to my younger brother when I saw him at work. He gave me kind of a weird look as I put it in his hand and urged him to listen to it, since that's something I practically never do. His favorite band of all time is Pink Floyd, but he has a wide-ranging taste and an appreciation for music that is unique or different. I think he would appreciate a lot of this stuff upon hearing it.

You are so correct regarding Kim's amazingness.
    Your music is a treasure Mr. Sajn!!

Beautiful Kim! makes me want to do my prog dance!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    You are so correct regarding Kim's amazingness.
    Your music is a treasure Mr. Sajn!!
    Mike! Well, you know what they say about "great minds" and all that.

I agree, Mr. Sajn's music is a treasure -- and for that matter, so is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Beautiful Kim! makes me want to do my prog dance!
    There's a prog dance?!

Wow, thanks for the kind words, Mike. You know i think you're the bomb also

And thank you Chris! Tyler - Did your brother like Life Stories? I hope he enjoyed it.

All the best to everybody here,

Kim

^^ Hi Kim. He did like it! He said that while it's not like what he typically listens to, it's good music. One of the words he used to describe it was "jazzy", which for some reason didn't really enter my mind when listening to it. But I can kinda see how he might arrive at that conclusion.

I told him I would've classified it as "psychedelic art-pop", but honestly I have no idea what I'm talking about. All I know is that it's great music.

He only got to listen to it while driving in his car, which isn't the best way to pick up on everything that's going on. Next time he and I hang out I'll play it for him over a good sound system, with some adult beverages to accompany it.

Very cool, i'm so glad he dug it.

Just an aside: the album was on Jazziz's Top Ten list in 2009, the year it came out. So.... maybe it is jazzy (of course it is)

Those of you enjoying the track here may also enjoy this, a sneak preview of my new album (due out in May) via a private stream:

Kimara Sajn/+1 - "The Mourning Past" - http://www.precognitiverecords.com/TheMourningPast

Remember, click on the splash page (the opening image) to get into the music player.

Thanks again to everybody for your friendship and support here on PE. I hope this brings some pleasure and cheer to each of you!

Later gators,

Kim

Very cool, i'm so glad he dug it.

Just an aside: the album was on Jazziz's Top Ten list in 2009, the year it came out. So.... maybe it is jazzy (of course it is)
    Well then, I guess it is jazzy! I'll be sure to tell my brother that he was right.

Pretty cool it made the Top Ten also. I wish I'd known about it back then when it came out...

Actually had the closing minutes of "Life Story" running through my head this morning after waking up. It's one of those discs that reveals its layers gradually over multiple listens.

One of my favorite tracks is "All The Animals". Those keyboards... And there's an interesting "effect" it seems, almost like distorted piano or something. What is it exactly? I'm curious what gives it that sound.

Those of you enjoying the track here may also enjoy this, a sneak preview of my new album (due out in May) via a private stream:

Kimara Sajn/+1 - "The Mourning Past" - http://www.precognitiverecords.com/TheMourningPast

Remember, click on the splash page (the opening image) to get into the music player.

Thanks again to everybody for your friendship and support here on PE. I hope this brings some pleasure and cheer to each of you!

Later gators,

Kim
    Thanks for the link! Once my Internet connection stops acting so slow I'm gonna check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    One of my favorite tracks is "All The Animals". Those keyboards... And there's an interesting "effect" it seems, almost like distorted piano or something. What is it exactly? I'm curious what gives it that sound.
    It was originally sourced from a performance on my old, slightly out-of-tune Helpinstill "Portable" Acoustic Piano (photo attached) recorded circa 1979 on a godawful Larksong cassette. The recording was interestingly grungy but as it was the only performance of the song i had, i decided to use it as the base track and digitally refactor things (including lots of subtle additions). I was thrilled to get a good recording of it finally, as it was one of our favourites and one which i'd long forgotten about and no longer play. I'm glad you like it!

It's funny: people often wonder about some of the antique sounds. Well, many are just that, actually ("Overcome" was sourced from a demo cassette i did for Warner's in 1975 but likewise refactored, for example).

Helpinstill Portable Acoustic circa 1979
    helpinstill_roadmaster2.jpg

All surely far more information than you really needed

BTW: If you've got "Pendulum", you'll recognise some things on this new one...

Thanks again, Tyler (and everyone here). Have a marvelous weekend!
    Last edited by Polypet; 03-10-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Awesome Kim!
    Music
    The Red Masque: www.theredmasque.com
    Green Cathedral: www.green-cathedral.com
    Art
    www.lynnetteshelley.com

Thanks Lynnette

That thing looks awesome!

The Helpinstill really was extremely cool. I had that and a clavinet for awhile as the only keyboards in my home. I was perfectly fine with that though! Both given to me - i mean, wow - by a dear friend who wasn't using them. I loved that piano. Wrote many things on it....

It was originally sourced from a performance on my old, slightly out-of-tune Helpinstill "Portable" Acoustic Piano (photo attached) recorded circa 1979 on a godawful Larksong cassette. The recording was interestingly grungy but as it was the only performance of the song i had, i decided to use it as the base track and digitally refactor things (including lots of subtle additions). I was thrilled to get a good recording of it finally, as it was one of our favourites and one which i'd long forgotten about and no longer play. I'm glad you like it!

It's funny: people often wonder about some of the antique sounds. Well, many are just that, actually ("Overcome" was sourced from a demo cassette i did for Warner's in 1975 but likewise refactored, for example).

Helpinstill Portable Acoustic circa 1979
    helpinstill_roadmaster2.jpg

All surely far more information than you really needed

BTW: If you've got "Pendulum", you'll recognise some things on this new one...

Thanks again, Tyler (and everyone here). Have a marvelous weekend!
    That is so cool! Early recordings making their way into the world years/decades later is always fascinating to me. That Helpinstill really doesn't look quite as portable as I'd have expected though.

The lo-fi sound of that recording really adds an interesting atmosphere to "All The Animals".

Also, really enjoying the new song "Resolve". That shuffling drum beat is the bee's knees!

Yes, a lock of clockwork activity in the percussion track for Resolve, eh? I'm glad you like it!

Have I asked you to make love to me yet? If not, do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Have I asked you to make love to me yet? If not, do it!
    Careful what you ask for Ricky. As George C would say, already makin' love to your earhole - eew!

Thanks d00d. When are we gonna hear some new stuff from you, buddy? Please email me.

Peace yodeling,

K

My earhole does feel pretty good right now. Thanks, Baby.

As for my music, not to hijack your thread, but you have heard the last two pieces I wrote. And that was four years ago! Not sure anyone will hear any new stuff from me.

Luckily you are prolific enough for the both of us.