Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yet more prog on Sirius XM Deep Tracks

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Yet more prog on Sirius XM Deep Tracks

Today they really surprised me by playing "Another Night" by Camel !!!

Followed up by Yes' version of America (Deep Track my foot!).

Old man of prog
    Yeah but I cancelled my subscription after they got rid of the Prog station "Music Lab" on Channel 51.

Banned
    I'm sorry but seriously...threads to annouce that bands like Yes and Camel are playing on Satellite radio stations???? I hear Yes all the time on my local Classic Rock Station - fuck, I heard "Roundabout" playing at the Ground Round in Oxford Valley. Big Fucking deal.

Deep Tracks does throw in huge surprises you'd never hear on commercial radio. I heard "Awaken" in its entirety once.

I also miss Music Lab greatly, though.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    I'm sorry but seriously...threads to annouce that bands like Yes and Camel are playing on Satellite radio stations???? I hear Yes all the time on my local Classic Rock Station - fuck, I heard "Roundabout" playing at the Ground Round in Oxford Valley. Big Fucking deal.
    You aren't forced to read the thread. Was pretty obvious what it was about from the title. Your contribution was really unnecessary.

I heard a double-shot of Be Bop Deluxe and Procol Harum on Deep Tracks today. Very proggy songs too.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    You aren't forced to read the thread. Was pretty obvious what it was about from the title. Your contribution was really unnecessary.

I heard a double-shot of Be Bop Deluxe and Procol Harum on Deep Tracks today. Very proggy songs too.
    i agree with you and i knew such a respone was forthcoming. I look at the greater picture though - threads like this bump down more important threads and clutter the board. Of course, that's just my opinion. Enjoy the thread.

While its not really prog, last night I heard on the Jam On station a song by the band Lettuce that really caught my attention. Great funky, jazzy rhythm section with horns like Chicago, Earth, Wind and Fire and Blood Sweat and Tears. Really great stuff. Fired up Spotify this morning and found they have a 2012 release called "Fly," which I am listening to right now and it is pretty great stuff.

One of the reasons I don't mind paying for XM is that I can discover new bands like Lettuce, or learn that older bands like Be Bop Deluxe will be of interest to me.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

I look at the greater picture though - threads like this bump down more important threads and clutter the board.
    Sorry, I wasn't considering the OCD angle.

Banned
    See, again you crap all over people's threads. You don't hear Camel on mainstream rock radio here in the U.S. I think that since Pink Floyd is played on the radio, then Camel should too. Moonmadness is like a lost Pink Floyd album. Also, the classic rock radio station that I listen to(95.5 KLOS) only play I've Seen All Good People, Roundabout, Long Distance Runaround, and Owner Of A Lonely Heart. Occasionally, they'll play Love Will Find A Way and Shoot High, Aim Low on their Rock And Roll A-Z program, but that's about it. They should play Tempus Fugit. KLOS did play Spock's Beard on their Local Licks program. Also, when they play Pink Floyd, they ignore everything before Dark Side. Although, they do slip in Echoes once in a while. I did hear Music Lab at my dad's house. Apparently, he got satellite radio through his TV from his cable provider. They played the title track from Bebop Deluxe's Modern Music. Plus, tracks from Cairo, Enchant, and Dream Theater, but I don't remember what songs they were. I was bummed that I didn't get Music Lab with my satellite subscription. Seriously '80s, you should learn to hold your tongue once in a while. Thanks for starting this thread, JKL. I felt the same way that you do when I heard Cinema Show on the radio the other night. I hear that song all the time because I have SEBTP on cd, but there was just something thrilling about hearing it on a mainstream radio station. Also, hear Squonk on KLOS's A-Z program.
    Last edited by JIF; 02-14-2013 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't considering the OCD angle.
    ... and the serious douche factor! Jeeze!

I was astonished to hear Kenso on Deep Tracks one Saturday morning. No doubt that programmer is history!
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Wow, that IS surprising. Today they played David Bowie's cover of The Who's "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" which was pretty surprising.

Yesterday they played Genesis' "Silver Rainbow." Definitely never heard that track on the radio before. Not everyone's favorite, I know, but I like it.

Banned
    Yesterday they played Genesis' "Silver Rainbow." Definitely never heard that track on the radio before. Not everyone's favorite, I know, but I like it.
    I like the part about the bear coming into the room.

Today I heard "The Light Dies Down on Broadway" followed by "Riding the Scree" on Deep Tracks. Come on, I've NEVER heard those on radio anywhere.

A few days ago they played Moribund, The Burgermeister. Yeah!

I always loved how that song never really "fit" on that album. It was so different - like a breath of fresh air.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

When I first signed up with Dish in 2005, I also got the Sirius tier and when I got to Deep Tracks I noticed all the songs were prog. I quickly discovered they were "experimenting" for a week playing only prog songs to see if that genre could generate enough fan support to create a bonafide prog rock station. You have no idea how happy I was running my dvr for 12 hr. shifts. They have so much prog in that place it would make your head spin. They even played obscure stuff like Touch,Fireballet,Focus,Hatfield and The North,Gong,Ash ra Temple,Can,Amon Dull,Eloy,eela Craig,I mean the list would take forever. So, after the week was over I was really excited to see what would happen. NOTHING! They did try and do something called Progressions for an hour a night 5 nights in the week,then that was changed Music For Headphones Only and they tried to go psych with Black Light Room,but that all ended,then there was the Sirius/XM merger and the destruction of Music Lab which I missed out on completely because I didn't get XM. About a year ago,they let Jim Ladd do his thing for 4 hrs. a night and he tends to do these dumbass connection themes that just drive me nuts and plays very little prog. So, I just gave up and mostly play Classical or sometimes Real Jazz catching some hot Miles Davis here and there. Sirius really blew it but now that I see they are starting to play more prog,maybe people should start requesting the more never-heard-anywhere-else bands. I tell you they have tons of it.

The thing that bugs me the most about Sirius is who they let have a channel. Springsteen,The Dead,Elvis and 10 Latino music channels,.and they can't make room for a frickin' PROG channel? I sent the receptionist an e-mail asking if the experiment was doing well...and she replied: "You are the only person who has asked this so far. We are not going to be able to create a prog station without massive positive response because the programmers will think it's going to be a flop if we do."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    When I first signed up with Dish in 2005, I also got the Sirius tier and when I got to Deep Tracks I noticed all the songs were prog. I quickly discovered they were "experimenting" for a week playing only prog songs to see if that genre could generate enough fan support to create a bonafide prog rock station. You have no idea how happy I was running my dvr for 12 hr. shifts. They have so much prog in that place it would make your head spin. They even played obscure stuff like Touch,Fireballet,Focus,Hatfield and The North,Gong,Ash ra Temple,Can,Amon Dull,Eloy,eela Craig,I mean the list would take forever. So, after the week was over I was really excited to see what would happen. NOTHING! They did try and do something called Progressions for an hour a night 5 nights in the week,then that was changed Music For Headphones Only and they tried to go psych with Black Light Room,but that all ended,then there was the Sirius/XM merger and the destruction of Music Lab which I missed out on completely because I didn't get XM. About a year ago,they let Jim Ladd do his thing for 4 hrs. a night and he tends to do these dumbass connection themes that just drive me nuts and plays very little prog. So, I just gave up and mostly play Classical or sometimes Real Jazz catching some hot Miles Davis here and there. Sirius really blew it but now that I see they are starting to play more prog,maybe people should start requesting the more never-heard-anywhere-else bands. I tell you they have tons of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    The thing that bugs me the most about Sirius is who they let have a channel. Springsteen,The Dead,Elvis and 10 Latino music channels,.and they can't make room for a frickin' PROG channel? I sent the receptionist an e-mail asking if the experiment was doing well...and she replied: "You are the only person who has asked this so far. We are not going to be able to create a prog station without massive positive response because the programmers will think it's going to be a flop if we do."
    We PEers should start a petition to get a prog channel on Sirius, and I'm not joking.

Probably all of us who are subscribers should just contact them separately. I think I'm going to. Yeah, they seem happy to play prog on Deep Tracks. Also, they have the online-only Pink Floyd channel soon. So maybe we CAN get them to add a prog channel.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    We PEers should start a petition to get a prog channel on Sirius, and I'm not joking.
    I agree. I'd sign, I'd be vocal.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Get a huge ipod and start rippin!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Yesterday they played a track by Space Opera! Now THAT is obscure for radio.

...Fountain of Salmacis was played Wednesday afternoon. In his intro Earl Bailey described Nursery Cryme as the LP that featured "Peter Gabriel's debut as Genesis drummer."
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I remember driving across the country back in 2005 in a new vehicle that had one of those XM trial subscriptions and I tripped into a station, the name of which escapes me. You'd hear a bit of jazz, prog, classical IIRC and even a bit of singer/songwriter stuff all on the same station. On that trip, not only was I amazed to hear Porcupine Tree on the radio but there was a song that struck me by Maestoso (Woolly Wolstenholme of BJH fame) which lead me to explore that catalogue a bit (but I was never able to place the song which originally grabbed me). Long story shorter, the XM/Sirius merger eliminated that station. I will have to look into this Deep Tracks one of these days.