Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP, Ray Thomas of The Moody Blues

I've always loved the Moodies and Hayward had recently said he would be open to a reunion with Pinder and Thomas. Lodge has been pushing for that for a couple of years. Thomas added so much character to the band. So many great songs and while he wasn't an Ian Anderson type flute player, he was always quite tasteful and the songs benefit from his presence. I saw the Moodies on several occasions but the show that stands out was in Raleigh. Thomas and Moraz had a keyboard/flute section in Legend of a Mind that was terrific. The place was dead quiet, the sound was terrific and the Moodies were great. RIP, Mr. Thomas.
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

So, so sad. I feel like I've lost a dear uncle. Loved Ray's singing, playing, and personality. And I was so looking forward to the possibility of a full reunion for the induction ceremony. RIP Ray. Your music changed my life. You will be missed.

Saw them in the 70s in Hawaii. Ray did a sound effect on Have You Heard with his voice and I was forever impressed at the creativity.

A powerful voice.He will be remembered.Goodbye Ray

I spent some time this afternoon and listened to all of the Ray Thomas penned or co-penned Moody Blues tracks. It was time well-spent on a very cold day.

I've been getting acquainted with Days of Future Passed over the past year or so, and quite liking it I must say. Never been a big Moody fan, but there is a very nice atmosphere on that record. Quite English. RIP Mr Thomas.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Here were some of his songs that I recall hearing on WRAS in the 70s.
    1968: "Legend of a Mind" from In Search of the Lost Chord (AKA "Timothy Leary's Dead")
    1969: "Dear Diary" from On the Threshold of a Dream
    1969: "Watching and Waiting" (with Justin Hayward) from To Our Children's Children's Children
    1970: "And the Tide Rushes In" from A Question of Balance
    1972: "For My Lady" from Seventh Sojourn

Of course, these were all on the mellow side. Still, these songs were fairly significant contributions to their overall sound during the "classic seven" period.
    A medley of these tunes would be a pleasant surprise on the Days of Future Passed 50th Anniversary tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    A medley of these tunes would be a pleasant surprise on the Days of Future Passed 50th Anniversary tour.
    Isn't that tour over with?

Sad to hear this... Ray wrote For my Lady, and my dad got so mad at me when I was a kid (14 perhaps) listening to that song on our stereo system in the family room.. ... Really, he was angry with me!... He storms in and says: "THATS MY KIND OF MUSIC! NOT YOURS!" - I only recall turning it off and leaving the house to go smoke some pot...

My relationship with my dad eventually got better.

Still I have always loved that song. I dont care that its "Geezer" music RIP Ray.

Man... I love the Moody Blues (especially their early records). This is very sad news.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I've been getting acquainted with Days of Future Passed over the past year or so, and quite liking it I must say. Never been a big Moody fan, but there is a very nice atmosphere on that record. Quite English. RIP Mr Thomas.
    That's probably still my favorite of theirs, closely followed by In Search of the Lost Chord. Really captures a magical time in music history, and in my life for that matter.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Sad to hear this... Ray wrote For my Lady, and my dad got so mad at me when I was a kid (14 perhaps) listening to that song on our stereo system in the family room.. ... Really, he was angry with me!... He storms in and says: "THATS MY KIND OF MUSIC! NOT YOURS!"
    When I was first starting to listen to music when I was about 13 or 14 I recall hearing some of the Ray-sung MB tunes on my wonderful music system:
    General_electric_AM_FM_dual_speaker.jpg
    I recall thinking that he sounded like the singer of a song that was often on the AM radio in the kitchen when my mom was doing housework. I guess it was mainly his baritone, something not all that common with pop/rock singers.

Very sad to here this. He was the Moodies "secret weapon" live. I've seen him bring down the house on many a night with "Legend of a Mind".
    My particular favorites of his are:
    Twilight Time
    Legend of a Mind
    Eternity Road
    Tide Rushes In
    VCR
    I feel like I lost a good friend.

Legend Of A Mind and Watching and Waiting are incredible songs, with LOAM being my favorite MB song. RIP Ray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad, sad news. RIP Ray.

RIP
    Days of future past will be part of my playlist today. It's almost 3 years ago I listened to that album.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I've always loved the Moodies. I saw the Moodies on several occasions but the show that stands out was in Raleigh. Thomas and Moraz had a keyboard/flute section in Legend of a Mind that was terrific. The place was dead quiet, the sound was terrific and the Moodies were great. RIP, Mr. Thomas.
    I too saw the Moodies but only once, at the Garden State Arts Center in NJ with Moraz on Keys. it was a magical night of great music.

RIP Mr. Thomas
    G.A.S -aholic

Goodbye, Ray. You were my favorite Moody. He was more of a crooner than the others.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Very sad to here this. He was the Moodies "secret weapon" live. I've seen him bring down the house on many a night with "Legend of a Mind".
    The extended arrangement with about a 5 min. Thomas/Moraz/Edge instrumental break in the middle in 1981 [?] was the highlight of the 10 or so times I saw them over the years.

Always liked his songs.

Goodbye old friend.

I posted a remembrance of Ray Thomas and we'll feature some Moody Blues tomorrow Jan 9, on Echoes. https://echoes.org/2018/01/07/moody-...-i-p-1-4-2018/

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Very sorry to hear of this!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Some of favorite Moody Blues songs are the ones from Long Distance Voyager with Ray on vocals. 22,000 Days, Painted Smile, and Veteran Cosmic Rocker are all great songs from this album featuring Ray. He also wrote but did not do the spoken part for Reflective Smile.

I will be giving this a spin tonight in tribute. RIP Ray

RIP RAY THOMAS.... say hello to Timothy Leary