Thread: The Official Deep Purple Overseas Live Series

The Official Deep Purple Overseas Live Series

I've been collecting several of these titles over the last few months, but I seem to have hit a road block, as I can't find a few of them anywhere. Some of the titles (Aachen and Days May Come... for example) are older titles issued long before this series was put out, and don't have those spines or the uniform cover art that the others in the series have. I've searched far and wide, so I'm a bit confused... even if they were out of print now, I should still be able to find images of them somewhere, and all I see is this Discogs photo of all the spines together. However not all of those titles are even listed as a part of this series:

https://www.discogs.com/label/552625...as-Live-Series

... did they pull a Jon Anderson and quit issuing this series when it was only partially complete? I'm a DP nerd and I want them all, so that my CDs no longer just spell EEP PUR.

Anyone know?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Actually, most (if not all) of these were released way before this series, at some point. Stockholm 1970 is the same show as the old Scandinavian Nights release (but with the songs in the right order, and a bonus DVD of them performing on British TV). Long Beach Arena 1976 is presumably the King Biscuit recording that came out in the mid 90's. And I'd bet dollars to donuts the Tokyo 1975 show is the same as This Time Around (aka the same show as Last Concert In Japan, but in it's entirety and with a much better mix). California 1974 is the almost certainly the Cal Jam performance, while Denmark 72 is probably the same as the Copenhagen video.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, most (if not all) of these were released way before this series, at some point. Stockholm 1970 is the same show as the old Scandinavian Nights release (but with the songs in the right order, and a bonus DVD of them performing on British TV). Long Beach Arena 1976 is presumably the King Biscuit recording that came out in the mid 90's. And I'd bet dollars to donuts the Tokyo 1975 show is the same as This Time Around (aka the same show as Last Concert In Japan, but in it's entirety and with a much better mix). California 1974 is the almost certainly the Cal Jam performance, while Denmark 72 is probably the same as the Copenhagen video.
    Yes, but what about these versions of those titles? They are the ones I'm searching for, so that they all match on the shelf (I know, I know, like I said I'm a DP nerd).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I could be mistaken but I think the label (Edel) that was doing these wasn't fulfilling what they promised and much of what they did release was met with a lot of criticism. as far as I know, Graz 1975 was the latest one and that was 2014. Edel said there would be 10 over the course of 12 months but only managed 5 to date.

actually, I think it's just 4...Stockholm 1970, Paris 1975, Long Beach 1971 and Graz 1975...oops, I forgot Copenhagen 1972 so that does make it five.
    Last edited by proggosaurus; 12-31-2017 at 12:18 AM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    I could be mistaken but I think the label (Edel) that was doing these wasn't fulfilling what they promised and much of what they did release was met with a lot of criticism. as far as I know, Graz 1975 was the latest one and that was 2014. Edel said there would be 10 over the course of 12 months but only managed 5 to date.

actually, I think it's just 4...Stockholm 1970, Paris 1975, Long Beach 1971 and Graz 1975...oops, I forgot Copenhagen 1972 so that does make it five.
    That might explain why the Graz show is going for 48 bucks on Amazon right now. Oy! I have the double CD that came out in the mid 90's, called MKIII: The Final Concerts, which combined tracks from the Paris and Graz shows. Long Beach might be interesting, I haven't heard that show before.

Ahhh okay. This is what I suspected, but good to know. Those are the five releases that I have.

That might explain why the Graz show is going for 48 bucks on Amazon right now.
    I got that one for 10 bucks on Amazon Canada, who listed it as "Graz 1974" despite the title being clearly shown on the cover image.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Ahhh okay. This is what I suspected, but good to know. Those are the five releases that I have.
    and as I suspected, I was mistaken. there is one more, Long Beach 1976. it was released mid 2016. how many live recs have they released overall? I lost count
    i.ain't.dead.irock

and as I suspected, I was mistaken. there is one more, Long Beach 1976. it was released mid 2016. how many live recs have they released overall? I lost count
    You mean in their entire career (including years when the band didn't exist?). Off the top of my head, there's:

Concerto For Group And Orchestra (original 1969 version)
    Made In Japan
    Made In Europe (apparently drawn from the show between the Graz and Paris shows from '75)
    Last Concert In Japan (later reissued in complete and remixed form as This Time Around: Live In Tokyo)
    Deep Purple In Concert (a pair of BBC radio appearances from 70 and 72)
    Scandinavian Nights (Stockholm show from 1970, aka Live And Rare)
    Come Hell Or High Water (apparently drawn from their last tour with Blackmore)
    MKIII: The Last Concerts (compilation of the Paris and Graz shows from 75)
    California Jam
    the Danish TV thing from 72
    Total Abandon (live in Australia, late 90's)
    Concerto For Group And Orchestra (circa 2000 version)
    Live In Japan (three CD early 90's repackaging of Made In Japan with most of the stuff that wasn't on the original album, except for the encores)
    the King Biscuit deal (Long Beach 76, plus a couple bonus tracks recorded in, I think, Springfield Massachusetts)

and I imagine there's been a gaggle of others, including DVD releases (I"ve got one called Perhelion, which I think was from one of the last tours they did with Jon Lord) and probably several with the most recent lineup, etc.

There's also the 2-cd BBC Sessions set with Mark I and (early) Mark II doing studio sessions, and Live In London, a full BBC concert with the Mark III line-up. The former material didn't really come out on anything until the early 00s on some box set, the latter was partially released in the early 80s but not in full until the early 00s.

I'm a Mark II guy first and foremost so only archive releases by that line-up really appeal to me, and even then, in their original 70s period rather than the reunions.

Since Morse joined they have put out a ridiculous amount of live material. They seem to have a new live release every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    There's also the 2-cd BBC Sessions set with Mark I and (early) Mark II doing studio sessions, and Live In London, a full BBC concert with the Mark III line-up. The former material didn't really come out on anything until the early 00s on some box set, the latter was partially released in the early 80s but not in full until the early 00s.
    Yeah, I knew there was a bunch that I had left off. I was just sort of trying to demonstrate that there's a lot out there.

I'm a Mark II guy first and foremost so only archive releases by that line-up really appeal to me, and even then, in their original 70s period rather than the reunions.
    OH yeah, I forgot the Nobody's Perfect live album from the late 80's, I think from the House Of Blue Light tour. Included a studio remake of Hush, with Gillan on vocals. Everyone was putting "studio" tracks on their live albums during that era, I guess to entice those who weren't interested in hearing live versions of songs they already had on the studio records. Of course, most of the "live" material had so many overdubs, the differentiation is, as Rick Springfield would say, probably moot.

Since Morse joined they have put out a ridiculous amount of live material. They seem to have a new live release every other week.
    Yeah, I was trying to buy all the DVD"s at one point, but they seemed to move in and out of availability too quickly for me to get. One that I forgot to mention was Bombay Calling, apparently recording in India on their first tour with Morse (there's an interview bit where he's apparently asked how he was planning to play the songs, as well as one of Gillan essentially thanking Ritchie for quitting again). Of course, Bombay Calling is also the title of the song that they lifted the intro to Child In Time from, so that perhaps could count as an admission of said musical theft.

This most recent series is an abomination from the mastering perspective, so wherever possible one should look for an earlier release of the same material (if it exists and, obviously, if one cares for the sonics).

I'm hoping another one of these appears this year. That said, I'd much rather see a reissue of the long out of print expanded version of the Paice Ashton Lord album and DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    This most recent series is an abomination from the mastering perspective, so wherever possible one should look for an earlier release of the same material (if it exists and, obviously, if one cares for the sonics).
    I have the Copenhagen set and was surprised how thin and tinny the sound was. A definite disappointment.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

I've been collecting several of these titles over the last few months, but I seem to have hit a road block, as I can't find a few of them anywhere. Some of the titles (Aachen and Days May Come... for example) are older titles issued long before this series was put out, and don't have those spines or the uniform cover art that the others in the series have. I've searched far and wide, so I'm a bit confused... even if they were out of print now, I should still be able to find images of them somewhere, and all I see is this Discogs photo of all the spines together. However not all of those titles are even listed as a part of this series:

https://www.discogs.com/label/552625...as-Live-Series

... did they pull a Jon Anderson and quit issuing this series when it was only partially complete? I'm a DP nerd and I want them all, so that my CDs no longer just spell EEP PUR.

Anyone know?
    Got a question for you (and anyone who has been buying this series). Have you had any problems playing any of the discs?

I've picked up five of them so far off Amazon. No problems with four. But Long Beach 1971? I can't get it to play correctly on my stereo. Thinking it was a production error/bad disc, I returned it to Amazon. Replacement one, same problem. I even burned a copy and that wouldn't play either. Plays fine on my computer but stereo, disc either doesn't read as a valid disc or is choppy beyond belief (and again, same problem with a cd-r copy).

CD player is an Onkyo DXC380.

Made In Japan
    Live In Japan (three CD early 90's repackaging of Made In Japan with most of the stuff that wasn't on the original album, except for the encores)
    Made in Japan was issued (25th anniversary) with the encores added (Black Night/Speed King/Lucille). Slightly baffling as to why they're not on the Live in Japan issue. Reasons of space, possibly?

There's also the 1969 live set on 'Powerhouse' which was performed before the Concerto (Hush/Wring That Neck/Child in Time).

Quote Originally Posted by Satanic_Hamster View Post
    Got a question for you (and anyone who has been buying this series). Have you had any problems playing any of the discs?

I've picked up five of them so far off Amazon. No problems with four. But Long Beach 1971? I can't get it to play correctly on my stereo. Thinking it was a production error/bad disc, I returned it to Amazon. Replacement one, same problem. I even burned a copy and that wouldn't play either. Plays fine on my computer but stereo, disc either doesn't read as a valid disc or is choppy beyond belief (and again, same problem with a cd-r copy).

CD player is an Onkyo DXC380.
    Did you try copying the files to your hard drive and burning a new disc instead of copying the flawed one?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    There's also the 1969 live set on 'Powerhouse' which was performed before the Concerto (Hush/Wring That Neck/Child in Time).
    I have the original vinyl of "Powerhouse." Some great tracks on that one and Gillan singing "Hush" kills; so does Ritchie's vibrato work on "Wring that Neck."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Did you try copying the files to your hard drive and burning a new disc instead of copying the flawed one?
    Yes. Though, the burn attempt was a straight copy of the album from Windows Media Player... Tried also burning at different burn rates.

Made in Japan was issued (25th anniversary) with the encores added (Black Night/Speed King/Lucille). Slightly baffling as to why they're not on the Live in Japan issue. Reasons of space, possibly?
    And then for a subsequent annivesrary (40th?) they put out a super delulxe version that has all three nights in their entirety, including all the encores.
    Which is now included in the currently available version of the Concerto.

I recently acquired the Perfect Strangers Live Blu-Ray, compiled in 2013 from 1984 video footage. It's a thoroughly enjoyable performance, complete with 5.1 Surround Sound. They clearly still had access to the multi-track audio masters. The banter between Gillan and Blackmore was quite playful. They'd clearly forgotten the tension which drove Gillan out of the band in the early 70s, and would rear its ugly head again around the time of the Slaves and Masters album. In 1984 during the Perfect Strangers tour, I was working the swing shift at a Denny's and couldn't get the night off...another reason I was thrilled to find this Blu-Ray.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I recently acquired the Perfect Strangers Live Blu-Ray, compiled in 2013 from 1984 video footage. It's a thoroughly enjoyable performance, complete with 5.1 Surround Sound. They clearly still had access to the multi-track audio masters. The banter between Gillan and Blackmore was quite playful. They'd clearly forgotten the tension which drove Gillan out of the band in the early 70s, and would rear its ugly head again around the time of the Slaves and Masters album. In 1984 during the Perfect Strangers tour, I was working the swing shift at a Denny's and couldn't get the night off...another reason I was thrilled to find this Blu-Ray.
    Saw the Philly show on that tour and they were on fire. Ritchie was incredible. The crowd at the end of "Highway Star" was a sound and feeling that I'll never forget.

Well, while window shopping on Amazon, I found out some reasonably priced copies of Graz 1975, Paris 1975, and Long Beach 1971 have all surfaced. I think the two from 75 were something like 8 bucks a pop, and I don't think Long Beach was that much more expensive. Needless to say, I've added these to the collection.

Listened to Long Beach the other night. They were opening for Rod Stewart and the Faces, of all bands, so it's a relatively brief set. Child In Time is still 20 minutes long, and Mandrake Root is still 27 minutes, which leaves only room for two "short" songs to kick off the set (Speed King and Strange Kind Of Woman).

Paris hasn't arrived yet, but I am listening to Graz right now. As I've mentioned before, I've got the double CD MKIII: The Final Concerts release from the 90's, which was a compilation from these two shows. This is a pretty cool set, featuring the full set, which they're able to just barely shoehorn onto a single CD. Ritchie plays a cadenza during the intro to Burn, which is kinda cool, if not a little bit misplaced, right at the top of the set. Then he has another cadenza before Mistreated, which leads into a Lazy tease, before they launch into Mistreated proper.

Space Truckin' kicks off with a jam that segues into them performing the opening Fanfare from Also Sprach Zarathustra...damn, they should have developed that into a full blown track and put it on a record, it would have buried the Eumir Deodato version. Then Jon plays a short Clavinet solo. It takes them nearly five minutes to get to the actual Space Truckin' riff!

There are a total of ten CD's listed above in the Official Deep Purple Overseas Live Series Set. In fact, there are six CD's that were eventually released. They are:

Paris 1975
    Copenhagen 1972
    Stockholm 1970
    Graz 1975
    Long Beach 1971
    Long Beach 1976

It appears that the original intention was, indeed, to release more CD's, since the spines of the six CD's that were released do not completely spell out the name "Deep Purple." But, since the Series was never released in its entirety, it makes what CD's should be included or not problematical. It could be that the CD's on the list above were simply those that had been proposed by the entity issuing the Series. More likely, it could be that the list above is a clever forgery based on the speculation of the forger as to what CD's would have been included in the Series had it been completed. To begin with, Long Beach 1971 and Graz 1975 are not included in the list above. Further, the words "On Tour," which appear below the name "Deep Purple" above, are not spelled out on the spine of the CD's which were actually released. Finally, it is puzzling why the CD, Days May Come and Days May Go, would be included in the Series, since it is a jam and not a live performance in front of an audience, much less a live performance in front of an audience overseas which, presumably, is the whole idea behind an overseas live series. I concur with the suggestion that Live in Montreux 1969, Live in Aachen 1970 and Live in Denmark 1972, which apparently were supposed to be part of the Official Deep Purple Overseas Live Series, have already been released. They appear in the "Official Archive Collection." In short, if there were supposed to be a total of ten CD's in the Series, that is nine, so far. However, there are three additional CD's on the list above, Live in California 1974, Live in Tokyo 1976 and Days May Come and Days May Go, that are also supposedly part of the Series. That would make a total of twelve CD's in the Series, not ten. By the way, all of the CD's that are on the list above are available, plus the two additional CD's not on the list above that I mentioned, Long Beach 1971 and Graz 1975. Since the Series was never completed, at some point, perhaps it is up to us to complete it ourselves, using the CD's on the list as a suggestion. I say this because, clearly, the Series is not exhaustive. I note, for example, that the Series does not contain any recordings of the 1972 tour of Japan, which would be a rather large hole in any collection of Deep Purple overseas live.
    Last edited by Deep Purple Enthusiast; 04-18-2020 at 01:29 AM.

There are a total of ten CD's listed above in the Official Deep Purple Overseas Live Series Set. In fact, there are six CD's that were eventually released. They are:

Paris 1975
    Copenhagen 1972
    Stockholm 1970
    Graz 1975
    Long Beach 1971
    Long Beach 1976

It appears that the original intention was, indeed, to release more CD's, since the spines of the six CD's that were released do not completely spell out the name "Deep Purple." But, since the Series was never released in its entirety, it makes what CD's should be included or not problematical. It could be that the CD's on the list above were simply those that had been proposed by the entity issuing the Series. More likely, it could be that the list above is a clever forgery based on the speculation of the forger as to what CD's would have been included in the Series had it been completed. To begin with, Long Beach 1971 and Graz 1975 are not included in the list above. Further, the words "On Tour," which appear below the name "Deep Purple" above, are not spelled out on the spine of the CD's which were actually released. Finally, it is puzzling why the CD, Days May Come and Days May Go, would be included in the Series, since it is a jam and not a live performance in front of an audience, much less a live performance in front of an audience overseas which, presumably, is the whole idea behind an overseas live series. I concur with the suggestion that Live in Montreux 1969, Live in Aachen 1970 and Live in Denmark 1972, which apparently were supposed to be part of the Official Deep Purple Overseas Live Series, have already been released. They appear in the "Official Archive Collection." In short, if there were supposed to be a total of ten CD's in the Series, that is nine, so far. However, there are three additional CD's on the list above, Live in California 1974, Live in Tokyo 1976 and Days May Come and Days May Go, that are also supposedly part of the Series. That would make a total of twelve CD's in the Series, not ten. By the way, all of the CD's that are on the list above are available, plus the two additional CD's not on the list above that I mentioned, Long Beach 1971 and Graz 1975. Since the Series was never completed, at some point, perhaps it is up to us to complete it ourselves, using the CD's on the list as a suggestion. I say this because, clearly, the Series is not exhaustive. I note, for example, that the Series does not contain any recordings of the 1972 tour of Japan, which would be a rather large hole in any collection of Deep Purple overseas live.

I have California Jamming. It sounds like it was recorded from the next county. It doesn't compare to the DVD sound. Is the other version of the Cal Jam a better sounding affair?

Once listened to it on a drive into Utah and hated how it sounds like you were way outside the arena hearing it from the parking lot miles away.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000