Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prog Jan 18 issue

Prog Jan 18 issue

Very much enjoying the cover disc of the latest issue of Prog, the one with the Gentle Giant cover: great songs from I am the Manic Whale, Gleb Kolyadin and Machines Dream among others.

The magazine includes their critics' choice top 20 of the year. This goes from Steve Wilson's To the Rock, Anathema's The Optimist, Public Service Broadcasting's Every Valley etc. down to Soen's Lykaia. I have not heard a single one of these (although I did see their 3rd best gig of the year, ARW in London, and their top multimedia of the year, the V&A's Floyd exhibition)! I may be out of touch.

You can vote in their readers' poll at http://teamrock.com/news/2017-12-14/...g-readers-poll

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    This goes from Steve Wilson's To the Rock
    Did he sneak out a gospel album or something?

Originally Posted by bondegezou

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Did he sneak out a gospel album or something?
    Someone needs to Bone up on their Wilson...

Man, you guys in the UK get the mag so quickly! I'm a Canadian subscriber and still digesting #82 (Rush Farewell To Kings cover) which only recently arrived.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

You can vote in their readers' poll at http://teamrock.com/news/2017-12-14/...g-readers-poll

Henry
    Looks like the Marillion fanatics stuffed the ballot box last year....

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Ooops. I think he's great, but I don't keep up with his releases!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Been looking for Issue 81 in Barnes & Noble, Florida but could not find it. Checked the Prog magazine website and they skip from Issue 80 to 82. What happened to Is
    sue 81? Who is on the cover?

Originally Posted by bondegezou

Wislon

I have not gotten this issue yet in Michigan either. Got the Classic Rock year end issue over a week ago though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusionlars View Post
    Been looking for Issue 81 in Barnes & Noble, Florida but could not find it. Checked the Prog magazine website and they skip from Issue 80 to 82. What happened to Is
    sue 81? Who is on the cover?
    Mikael Akerfeldt. It was a popular issue that sold out quickly due to the exclusive live Opeth CD that was included. It was also an issue that took a really long time to get to subscribers in some parts of the world (Canada for sure), leading to a lot of complaints, but it did finally arrive (then #82 arrived about ten days later).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Checked my local Barnes & Noble last week and didn't see a single issue. Today they had just one copy of the Mikael Akerfeldt issue. I only buy it sporadically, but I'm keeping an eye out for the next couple of issues to see if they mention my new album, of which I sent them a review copy. I'll definitely grab the Gentle Giant issue whenever it might appear on these shores.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Mikael Akerfeldt. It was a popular issue that sold out quickly due to the exclusive live Opeth CD that was included. It was also an issue that took a really long time to get to subscribers in some parts of the world (Canada for sure), leading to a lot of complaints, but it did finally arrive (then #82 arrived about ten days later).
    Just came from a B&N and got the Akerfeldt issue - they had a lot of them, guess I should have picked up an extra one! Figures in Scarsdale, most expensive city in the US (not where I live) there aren't a lot of Opeth fans.

BTW, just read that the live Opeth CD of September 19, 2015 at the Ancient Roman Amphitheatre, Plovdiv, Bulgaria is only five tracks, so not the full show. Tracks are: Eternal Rains, Demon of the Fall, Devil's Orchard, Grand Conjuration, Deliverance.

The CD features an orchestra, and apparently the article says "the band only met the orchestra for the first time four hours before the show," and I hear it sounds as such. Bummer...

Just came from a B&N and got the Akerfeldt issue - they had a lot of them, guess I should have picked up an extra one! Figures in Scarsdale, most expensive city in the US (not where I live) there aren't a lot of Opeth fans.
    Scarsdale? Isn't that where the School of Hard Knocks is located?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The public high school looks like Hogwarts.

Technically the B&N is in Eastchester not Scarsdale. Having grown up in Eastchester, this always annoyed me. They like to say they are in Scarsdale because it sounds more prestigious even though they just have a Scarsdale PO address. Same goes for Lord & Taylor's up the street. It's in Eastchester not Scarsdale. (People reading this outside of the NYC are will have no idea what I'm talking about.)

Quote Originally Posted by bobg56 View Post
    Technically the B&N is in Eastchester not Scarsdale. Having grown up in Eastchester, this always annoyed me. They like to say they are in Scarsdale because it sounds more prestigious even though they just have a Scarsdale PO address. Same goes for Lord & Taylor's up the street. It's in Eastchester not Scarsdale. (People reading this outside of the NYC are will have no idea what I'm talking about.)
    I really don't give a damn where it is. I hardly ever go in that area. I live in Hastings-on-Hudson, so there's not much of a difference between Yonkers, Eastchester, or Scarsdale to me! It's all "the place you go shopping when you can't avoid it."

Very much enjoying the cover disc of the latest issue of Prog, the one with the Gentle Giant cover: great songs from I am the Manic Whale, Gleb Kolyadin and Machines Dream among others.
    Funny.....PROG has not mentioned the release of this issue yet.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I really don't give a damn where it is. I hardly ever go in that area. I live in Hastings-on-Hudson, so there's not much of a difference between Yonkers, Eastchester, or Scarsdale to me! It's all "the place you go shopping when you can't avoid it."
    You be stayin' down in da Hood at Hastings-On-Hudson, keepin' it real wid da peeps, fondlin' yo Snoop Dog box sets, yo

You be stayin' down in da Hood at Hastings-On-Hudson, keepin' it real wid da peeps, fondlin' yo Snoop Dog box sets, yo
    Keepin' it real wid no chain stores!

(Hastings-on-Hudson median income-$129,777)

"In 2013, the infusion of urban professionals from New York City resulted in characterization of the town as an example of "hipsturbia", a neologism coined by The New York Times to describe the hip lifestyle as lived in suburbia by "hipsters." '

'

Daddy don't live in that New York City
    No more
    He don't celebrate Sunday on a Saturday night
    No more
    Daddy don't need no lock and key
    For the piece he stowed
    Out on Avenue D
    No more

Daddy don't drive in that Eldorado
    No more
    He don't travel on down to the neighborhood
    Liquor store
    Lucy still loves her coke and rum
    But she sits alone
    Cause her daddy can't come
    Daddy don't drive in that Eldorado
    No more

Driving like a fool out to Hackensack
    Drinking his dinner from a paper sack
    He says I gotta see a joker
    And I'll be right back

No more
    He can't get tight every night
    Pass out on the barroom floor
    Daddy can't get no fine cigar
    But we know you're smoking
    Wherever you are
    No more

Last edited by DocProgger; 12-18-2017 at 09:25 AM.

^ The hipster thing didn't really happen here, the NY Times just thought for a while that it was - the majority of people here are older writers, musicians, and other artistic types who've lived here a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    "Moved down to Scarsdale, where the hell am I?.......
    Hey Nineteen......"