Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dweezil Zappa "Choice Cuts" 2018

Drowning Witch

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Wow! How was it?
    Having listened to the Toronto performance once (you can download it someplace), and for the sake of nitpicking - you all know how nasty I am - I'd say that they perform it very well indeed, but don't I hear some wrong notes - a rare occurrence with ZpZ - in the coda ? (the cycling guitar line right before the piano quintuplets), and isn't there some rhythmic hesitation, or non-consensual rubato, in bar 5 of the Interlude right before the 9/8 section (notated as a 32nd note 9-tuplet in FZ's original score but never performed that fast) ? The rhythm in the first bars of the Interlude is also played differently to the notated version. Tut tut.
    Also of note : monster guitar solos.
    Ergo : performing Drowning Witch... what an achievement !
    Last edited by unclemeat; 04-25-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was hoping they sold downloads of the shows, have to check that out.

About the possible mistakes, for several numbers Dweezil said he was using previously unused arrangements that had been found, or combinations of different arrangents, so that might account for what sound like mistakes. Or they might be mistakes, I have no idea. Just mentioning this, you obviously have a lot of technical knowledge!

The dueling solos between Dweezil and the sax player were excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I was hoping they sold downloads of the shows, have to check that out.
    I don't think they are at this point. Dweezil mentioned a desire to do this in the Sounding Off interview a couple of weeks ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH4-F9avWYk This seems an awkward and scatterbrained method of conducting an interview, but I suppose it comes with the territory in cyberspace?

I can't listen to those shitty smart phone uploads on YouTube.

Who were the band members? I know who most of them are, including Adam Minkoff (lead vocals, 2nd guitar, 3rd keyboard), but the brass players are new. Were they just for this gig, or are they touring with the band?

Damn, I wish these guys were hitting the West Coast! The tour seems to be avoiding that area.

Don’t remember the names of the two brassmen, they were special guests.

Someone posted tracks on setlist fm but it’s not entirely correct because it lists I’m the Slime and they didn’t do that.

No Bay Area. Grrr!

relax west coast- they're coming....

I just wish they would stop the FZ impressions. It's not necessary.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Pretty bitchin' version of "Drowning Witch"....way to go Dweez!!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I just wish they would stop the FZ impressions. It's not necessary.
    Yeah, it was a little confusing with all the different FZ impressions. At least if only one person would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, it was a little confusing with all the different FZ impressions. At least if only one person would do it.
    One impressionist is too many. I saw him last year and that was the only thing that bugged me in an otherwise terrific show.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Saw the show last night in Indy. No horn players (well, other than Scheila). Amazing set and a very long show, 3 hours. There were tons of surprises in the setlist and the band was exceptional as always. The new female lead singer was a little underutilized but thats about the only complaint I had other than Dweezil's heavy metal song and Cocaine Decisions. Would have preferred two other songs in place of those. I'll list just three of the surprises below. Avoid reading this if you don't want spoilers:

*********************************************minor spoilers****************************************** **************
    Studabaker Hoch from Billy the Mountain was excellent but their first song of the encore was Remington Electric Razor, the 50 second jingle Frank wrote as a commercial, sung by Linda Rondstadt, that the company decided not to use. I swear Dweezil is digging extra deep for material. But maybe the most surprising thing was this weird combination of Sleep Dirt and Black Napkins that they are calling Sleep Napkins. Supposedly this was Frank's idea that got recorded and Dweezil heard it.

Tomorrow night!!

Anyone who's seen the show have any comment on the volume level? I'll have my earplugs with, but I always prefer not to use them unless necessary.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

^^^ Yeah I'm there too. Tough day, I have to teach from 8:30 to 5:30 straight in Cedar Rapids. Good question about volume. Always bring the earplugs. Kansas in Davenport last month was a great show but excruciatingly loud.

Re the last "spoiler" that that flowerking mentioned - yes, it was FZ's idea and is on some circulating live tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Tomorrow night!!

Anyone who's seen the show have any comment on the volume level? I'll have my earplugs with, but I always prefer not to use them unless necessary.
    Saw the Long Island show sat in the 9th row center. Sound was loud with a great mix but was not overbearing on the ears for me. It will probably depend on where your seats are located. Its a fantastic show!

DZ and band killed it in Michigan on 5/2. The setlist featured lots of deep and oddball cuts, his soloing was in top form, the band kicked much ass and they played 3 hours with no intermission. We certainly went home happy.

^^^ Same last night in Iowa City. First time I've ever seen Dweezil, and never saw Frank while that was still possible. I was familiar with only about 25% of the material but it didn't matter. The interplay between all the band members was mind-blowing. Dweezil's solos were as interesting to me as his dad's. I hope he can keep this band on the road for a few more years. I would love to go again.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ Same last night in Iowa City. First time I've ever seen Dweezil, and never saw Frank while that was still possible. I was familiar with only about 25% of the material but it didn't matter. The interplay between all the band members was mind-blowing. Dweezil's solos were as interesting to me as his dad's. I hope he can keep this band on the road for a few more years. I would love to go again.
    Yep, great show! And within the deep tracks were some very cool re-arrangements, re-imaginings, new tempos, and extended soloing. The vocal harmonies were absolute nails. Go see 'em if you can.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.