Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Punk Musicians & other unlikely fans of Prog/Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, if Jeremy's pronunciation is to go by, apparently if one was speakign with a BBC accent, it's Green+slide. I'm seemed to recall askign about that here, and was told that, yes that's how it's pronounced, and not like the band that Noddy Holder, Dave Hill, Jimmy Lea, and Don Powell were in.
    Ironically, where Slade came from it probably did sound more like Slide than Slade.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    re: Captain Sensible. There's a hilarious story about himself and a friend incidentally spotting Mike Ratledge from their Morris mini minor in traffic, going bananas over the event and chasing after him in rush-hour with Ratledge apparently noticing how he's being followed and consequently trying to shake them off. Like something in a sketch by Kenny Everett.
    I think it was 'Sensible who took great pride in being told to 'fuck off' by Elton Dean when asking for an autograph or something!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    re: Captain Sensible. There's a hilarious story about himself and a friend incidentally spotting Mike Ratledge from their Morris mini minor in traffic, going bananas over the event and chasing after him in rush-hour with Ratledge apparently noticing how he's being followed and consequently trying to shake them off. Like something in a sketch by Kenny Everett.
    HA!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    And I believe Clarkson also did the liner notes for one of the Genesis reissues about 10 or 12 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    Selling England, I think.
    Catching up with the double albums thread in the OT forum it's now occurred to me you were being ironic with your Clarkson comment. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    As mentioned, Bad Brains started as a Mahavishnu cover band.
    I did not know that.

Not to derail the thread, but can you point me in the direction of a good Bad Brains video for someone who likes MO (aka me)?

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    I did not know that.

Not to derail the thread, but can you point me in the direction of a good Bad Brains video for someone who likes MO (aka me)?
    well, they abandoned Prog Fusion when they invented the Hardcore style of Punk in 1979. Perhaps one of the best examples of their tight musicianship would be their song House Of Suffering. It has some sharp breaks and good drumming
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    well, they abandoned Prog Fusion when they invented the Hardcore style of Punk in 1979. Perhaps one of the best examples of their tight musicianship would be their song House Of Suffering. It has some sharp breaks and good drumming
    Black Flag had fusion tendencies as well, they did an instrumental EP (The Process of Weeding Out) and an album side (Family Man-- other side is Rollins spoken word) Probably more of a James Blood Ulmer influence there.

Bob Stinson of the Replacements was a huge Yes/Steve Howe fan

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    Catching up with the double albums thread in the OT forum it's now occurred to me you were being ironic with your Clarkson comment. Sorry!
    Well, I absolutely believe Selling England By The Pound is the best of the Gabriel era albums, but I framed it in a facetious manner with the Clarkson allusion. You'd kinda have to watch Top Gear to get the humor.
    So is Germs/Nirvana/Foo Fighters guitarist Pat Smear. On one of the Germs songs, he quotd the intro to Roundabout. About 20 years ago, some magazine, I forget which one, did one of thes things where they asked a bunch of famous people who their favorite band was. Smear named Yes, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Black Flag had fusion tendencies as well, they did an instrumental EP (The Process of Weeding Out) and an album side (Family Man-- other side is Rollins spoken word) Probably more of a James Blood Ulmer influence there.
    Greg Ginn had an instrumental group called Gone for a short time around when Black Flag broke up. I've never heard them but word is they also had a jazz/rock influence.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post

as was Public Image Ltd's Keith Levene

I've talked prog with members of Jesus Lizard. David Yow did a stint with the duo QUI where they always closed sets with a version of Echoes, also on a LP of theirs

Robert Pollard/GBV is a huge huge prog fan as well
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Greg Ginn had an instrumental group called Gone for a short time around when Black Flag broke up. I've never heard them but word is they also had a jazz/rock influence.

formed with the members of a Trenton band called Scornflakes. guitarist Wm. Tucker from Scornflakes went on to play with Ministry and Pigface (with Bill Rieflin), while Andrew Weiss and Sim Caine went from Scornflakes to Gone to Rollins Band. Weiss went to play and produce with Ween (also big prog guys). I saw Andrew at the most recent Mike Watt show here in Phila. I once asked Watt about Chris Squire and he said "ah man, I hate that shit!" while laughing
    Last edited by helix; 12-08-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    2trevorsforlife

Yes, it's an extension of the instrumental stuff he did with Black Flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    I did not know that.

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    Weiss went to play and produce with Ween (also big prog guys).
    There are a few hilarious fake-prog bits in Ween's albums.

There are a few hilarious fake-prog bits in Ween's albums.

The Pod may be the greatest and shittiest prog LP ever made!

skewed to the psych end of prog than the 'player soloist' end of prog of course

Right to the Ways and the Rules of the World is one of the funniest fucking things ever. of course Demon Sweat is their pcollins tribute as well. I love ween
    2trevorsforlife