Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The King Crimson Mega Box Sets

Afaik only the post office doesn't deliver on Veterans Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    Both CD16 and BR22 list "Groon - Peoria (incomplete);" as one track. Am I reading it right? was Peoria an improv that grew out of Groon??
    I’d have to go back and reliaten, but what I can say with certainty is that it is listed correctly as per the booklet. It struck me as odd when I read it, so double checked before I typed it into my listing. As for the other q, like i,said, I’ll have to go back and check...but I’ll wager the answer to your question is: yes.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    It's this sentiment from you that has me really excited for this. This set has been a dream for me since the wealth of Larks/Starless/Red live material was dropped on us. I love that band, but a lot of their improv tendencies leave me bored silly. The live material I have from this lineup is some of my favorite Crim. I love the abandon and can't wait to drown in it.
    How long can you hold your breath? you’re definitely gonna drown in it!
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    They're both DVD-As.
    If money isn't an issue, then I'd. Just. Do. It.
    Nah, money isn't an issue (though true value for money is one), but shelf space is

Both CD16 and BR22 list "Groon - Peoria (incomplete);" as one track. Am I reading it right? was Peoria an improv that grew out of Groon??
    But on CD18 and DVD23, they aren't (incomplete)!!

WTF??

Does this mean that these tapes are present on four different discs?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No, Holias lives there.

Those FedEx pilots should push the envelope of safe flight to get our Sailors' Tales sets to us quickly! Hey, does FedEx deliver on Veteran's Day? They'd better, nothing's more important.
    Quote Originally Posted by hwkn View Post
    Afaik only the post office doesn't deliver on Veterans Day.
    So I see my Sailors' Tales is now in New Jersey, so looks like it's back on schedule to arrive here tomorrow. I mention this for the others who were affected by the FedEx debacle in Poyle.

UPS tracking shows me my Grateful Dead RFK set is arriving tomorrow too. The live Art Zoyd box is here. Commencing countdown, engines on...

^ Sounds like you're keeping Eddie very busy!

So I see my Sailors' Tales is now in New Jersey, so looks like it's back on schedule to arrive here tomorrow. I mention this for the others who were affected by the FedEx debacle in Poyle.
    Mine's only now showing as being in Poyle. I'm getting doubtful about whether it's really going to be at my door in California tomorrow. I wouldn't care except for the business of having to be home to sign for it.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Ugh. Inner Knot hit my credit card for this on Monday but it still hasn't shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Mine's only now showing as being in Poyle. I'm getting doubtful about whether it's really going to be at my door in California tomorrow. I wouldn't care except for the business of having to be home to sign for it.
    Did you enter a ticket with Burning Shed? You might want to let them know that tracking shows it still in Poyle (AKA The Black Hole). When my tracking was "restarted" or whatever I received a new email from FedEx, although it's the same tracking number. But it now shows it as having travelled from Poyle to Jamaica, NY, then Newark, NJ. It's had quite a tour of the hell holes of the world!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My experience parallels that of JKL2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

WTF??

Does this mean that these tapes are present on four different discs?
    At least four... the box includes the 2-disc 40th anniversary Earthbound (CD/DVD), plus you get the same content on BluRay, plus you get the actual (3 or 4) 'full' shows that most of the Earthbound live tracks were compiled from.

This practice seems standard for these mega-deluxe KC box sets.
    Last edited by Akustika; 11-09-2017 at 02:17 PM.

the 2-disc 40th anniversary Earthbound (CD/DVD)
    A 2-disc Earthbound set came out five years ago? What was on the second disc?

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    A 2-disc Earthbound set came out five years ago?
    No. The "40th" tag has just been used for all the CD/DVD reissues since the series started in '09.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    No. The "40th" tag has just been used for all the CD/DVD reissues since the series started in '09.
    LOL! 40, again?

At least four... the box includes the 2-disc 40th anniversary Earthbound (CD/DVD), plus you get the same content on BluRay, plus you get the actual (3 or 4) 'full' shows that most of the Earthbound live tracks were compiled from.

This practice seems standard for these mega-deluxe KC box sets.
    Um, no. In the box set you get 8 shows from 1971 at 24/48 resolution on the Islands blu Ray disc. You get Earthbound extended, summit studio expanded and 15 shows from the 1972 US tour, including four never previously released, on the Earthbound blu Ray. Plus a needle drop.

I have to ask: I went to the trouble of creating an absolutely detailed list of what is on every cd, blu ray and dvd in the big box. I identified which cd and dvd make up the standalone Earthbound set on this thread yesterday.

What more must be said? It’s all there for you to see. Just follow the link.
    John Kelman

Ugh. Inner Knot hit my credit card for this on Monday but it still hasn't shipped.
    Release date is tomorrow.
    John Kelman

Nah, money isn't an issue (though true value for money is one), but shelf space is
    I feel that.

Calm down, now

Seriously, with this much music I’ve not got every detail in my head ... but I’ll check tomorrow.

But think of it this way; Earthbound is a collection of tracks from multiple shows on the '72 tour. So, Earthbound is on Cd, DVD and BR. The full shows are also on BR and, in some cases, CD as well. So, technically, a single track on Earthbound might - might - show up five times. But also, the original EB had some severely edited tracks. EB extended has the first five tracks, with the original edits, followeD on cd by 3 additional tracks, on dvd and br (I think), EB extended is almost two hours, including full versions of some edited tracks. Peoria is an edit of the longer (but incomplete) Groon Peoria track from Peoria; Groon, on the original EB, comes from Wilmington. EB extended also has the full Groon from Groon Peoria. Which suggests it’s really the Peoria part that is incomplete.

In other words, it’s really Peoria that must be incomplete (I’d have to check to be sure, but it makes sense), and Groon, from Peoria, is included as a separate track, as part of EB extended as it’s complete.

This is the best I can 'splain it. You need to look at where the tracks from the original EB are sourced. Peoria and Groon are from different shows.

Are we good?

Folks, I’m sorry, but I have CFS, have written 4-5 hours for three days straight and expect another 4-5 hours tomorrow to finish it so it can run Saturday. My eyes are crossed, my head is spinning, and I just don’t have the juice to continue these really nitty gritty questions. The listing I put at aaj is, afaik, now accurate (there was 1 error). I’ve id'd what’s on the standalone EB....can we please give my brain a rest? I don’t mean that snippily; I’m just begging for mercy
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I think I'm going to let the fates decide for me on this one...if a certain vendor whom I frequent often happens to get this particular box set in stock, I will pull the trigger. If they don't, I'll consider it the cosmos telling me I should use that bookshelf space for something else
    Oh I’ll get it. Bit I’m waiting for a WAY to get it to my SIDE of the country, too.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I feel that.

Calm down, now

Seriously, with this much music I’ve not got every detail in my head ... but I’ll check tomorrow.

But think of it this way; Earthbound is a collection of tracks from multiple shows on the '72 tour. So, Earthbound is on Cd, DVD and BR. The full shows are also on BR and, in some cases, CD as well. So, technically, a single track on Earthbound might - might - show up five times. But also, the original EB had some severely edited tracks. EB extended has the first five tracks, with the original edits, followeD on cd by 3 additional tracks, on dvd and br (I think), EB extended is almost two hours, including full versions of some edited tracks. Peoria is an edit of the longer (but incomplete) Groon Peoria track from Peoria; Groon, on the original EB, comes from Wilmington. EB extended also has the full Groon from Groon Peoria. Which suggests it’s really the Peoria part that is incomplete.

In other words, it’s really Peoria that must be incomplete (I’d have to check to be sure, but it makes sense), and Groon, from Peoria, is included as a separate track, as part of EB extended as it’s complete.

This is the best I can 'splain it.
    That's some serious progsplainin'!

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Not wishing to belabor that point but there are still 47 instances of Formantera instead of Formentera in your listing last time I checked.
    Sorry Aymeric...writing this review truly has my head spinning...may be the toughest I’ve ever done with the sheer volume of music to absorb (in less time). I’ll fix that today. Formentera, Formantera? Call it a brain cramp....and I must have missed seeing your correction, sorry!
    John Kelman

Sorry Aymeric...writing this review truly has my head spinning...may be the toughest I’ve ever done with the sheer volume of music to absorb (in less time). I’ll fix that today. Formentera, Formantera? Call it a brain cramp....and I must have missed seeing your correction, sorry!
    EDIT: fixed...but Aymeric’s, find and replace found only 36. Not counting per se; just sayin'
    John Kelman

Thanks, but it’s my last progsplainin' on the subject. It’s all there, you’ve just gotta look...and read the review tomorrow or Sunday....
    John Kelman

For Trane (and anyone else): just to let you know I checked and the above breakdown is, indeed correct. EB extended has three extra tracks on CD, but on both dvd and br has a full seven additional tracks.

It may be redundant, but how you hear those up to five repeated tracks depends upon if you are listening to EB or the source shows, and if you are listening on CD, DVD or Blu Ray. In truth, since most folks settle on a specific media choice, barring edited vs extended, unedited versions, you’re likely gonna hear the same tracks from the same show twice: once on the show, once on EB extended.

Ok, I said I was done progsplainin'; now I am...
    Cheers!
    John
    John Kelman

Thanks, but it’s my last progsplainin' on the subject. It’s all there, you’ve just gotta look...and read the review tomorrow or Sunday....
    I cant wait to read the full review! The track-listing is rather extensive!! I copied it into a Word document and have been expanding it (numbering tracks, etc.) disc by disc; it's 16 pages & still growing...

Got shipping notification this morning.