Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kasim Sulton Does Utopia (dates)

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    He apparently played on a few tracks, but Kasim replaced his parts.
    That's right. The funny thing is this was probably an intense and disruptive period for the band, but I'm not sure the fans at the time knew that Kasim had ever left.

I somehow missed Kasim’s brief solo jaunt (only found out about it later), but I knew about his post-Utopia project with Thommy Price, the album Lights On. “No T.V. No Phone” got a bit of rotation on MTV. Very AOR. I only recently discovered that Elliot Easton played the guitar solo on it!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Managed to get a last minute ticket to the sold out show at the Iridium tomorrow night! Suddenly found myself a bachelor for the weekend, so I'm psyched I was able to snag a ticket for something interesting!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-02-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Can't wait to hear the gory details

A great night! So strange to see a band performing Utopia songs for the first time in 30+ years to a small but sold out crowd that loves Utopia songs in a great little venue with a kick-ass sound system. I ended up sitting next to the parents of the sound guy and they pointed out Ed Palermo, who plays at Iridium monthly, and who’s last album (on Cuneiform!) features Rundgren songs. The proggy highlight of the show was the song Road to Utopia. Kasim is a great bass player and a charming frontman.

In the Times Square subway station after the show there was a band playing Carry On My Wayward Son! Prog-pop lives!

Good to hear. I just saw the set list from last night and was hoping for some other songs. Not much into the material past Adventures in Utopia. Seeing them in Sellersville Friday 2/9. Sold out show. We're staying at the hotel there, maybe we'll run into the band later.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

A couple of shots from Saturday night:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that dude age?!

The Road to Utopia

I Just Want to Touch You

Fix Your Gaze

Swing to the Right

Feet Don't Fail Me Now

Back On the Street

The Martyr

You Make Me Crazy (false start)

Alone

You Make Me Crazy

Winston Smith Takes It On the Jaw

Caravan

I Will Wait

Eternal Love

Princess of the Universe

Play This Game

Monument

Kasim Sulton Does Utopia (dates)

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Does that dude age?!
    Before the show I kept reminding myself he’d be like 60+. Then he came onstage and I asked myself the same question!

BTW, he had two keyboard players (!), and one he said also plays keyboards for Brand X.

Not really the Utopia tunes that are my faves, save for a few.

super jealous sure hope he can bring it west

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Not really the Utopia tunes that are my faves, save for a few.
    Agreed, but still would be great to see. Nowhere near my neck of the woods unfortunately. Still got to see Kaz three times last year with BOC

A few of the songs Kasim said had never been played live. When I look at that set list, I have to be honest and say I'm not a HUGE Utopia fan - Todd's solo stuff is better. But the show was infectiously fun, and it was just cool that there was a roomful of people who were into it enough to gather to be there, and to hear a song like "Feet Don't Fail Me Now" played live.

from what I know I believe these tracks were never played live by utopia

I will Wait
    Winston smith takes it on the jaw
    monument
    the martyr
    eternal love (less sure on this one)

I think it is pretty cool that he pulled out some rarities for the fans. abandoning the first two albums might be less popular for the prog fans but seems more honest given he wasn't on them (though 7 rays woulda been allright he played that one a bunch live and I think he likes it)

Kasim's youthful appearance and the poppiness of the music made me feel a bit like I was at a Davey Jones or Bobby Sherman concert, especially when girls in the audience started dancing.

Was just looking at Kasim's Wikipedia page - I didn't know quite how much studio and live he work he's done. Forgot he was on Bat Out of Hell! I also didn't know he was from Staten Island. Does anyone know his ancestry? Wikipedia doesn't tell much about his personal life really, but I always wondered about the interesting name. And his middle name is Anthony!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XCVKxQR2I5E
    Most, if not all of the show was video'd / uploaded on this person's youtube channel. Kasim/band sound great.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Kasim's youthful appearance and the poppiness of the music made me feel a bit like I was at a Davey Jones or Bobby Sherman concert, especially when girls in the audience started dancing.

Was just looking at Kasim's Wikipedia page - I didn't know quite how much studio and live he work he's done. Forgot he was on Bat Out of Hell! I also didn't know he was from Staten Island. Does anyone know his ancestry? Wikipedia doesn't tell much about his personal life really, but I always wondered about the interesting name. And his middle name is Anthony!
    Mancrush alert! Somebody warn Kaz!

^ Thanks. Man, some people have grapes! They made an announcement about how phones would be taken away if people were video-recording. Not that I'm not glad to see this. I snapped a few photos quickly, but overall there were very few phones in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Mancrush alert! Somebody warn Kaz!
    No, that would be Willie Wilcox! But there seemed to be several ladies with crushes on Kasim.

Before the show I kept reminding myself he’d be like 60+. Then he came onstage and I asked myself the same question!

BTW, he had two keyboard players (!), and one he said also plays keyboards for Brand X.
    Chris Clark? excellent player if this is who it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    Chris Clark? excellent player if this is who it was.
    Yeah, that’s him. He was good!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-05-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Up until fairly recently he had been touring as a member of Blue Oyster Cult. I saw Sultan with BOC twice and he was very good.

Is that Jesse Gress on guitar with Kaz in the pic above?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Is that Jesse Gress on guitar with Kaz in the pic above?
    Yes