Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Zappa "Back On The Road" HOLOGRAM to tour

Zappa "Back On The Road" HOLOGRAM to tour

"LOS ANGELES – SEPTEMBER 21, 2017 – Eyellusion, live music’s premier hologram production company, today announced that it will work closely with the Zappa Family Trust to produce hologram performances of Frank Zappa, giving fans an opportunity to experience the prolific, eclectic and critically acclaimed music legend live in concert again. Production for the Zappa shows will kick off in late 2017, with performances announced later in 2018.

“ 'I’m thrilled that Frank Zappa will finally be going back out on tour playing his most well-known music as well as some rare and unheard material,' said Ahmet Zappa, co-Trustee of the Zappa Family Trust. 'We can’t wait to bring his creative work back to the stage with the musicians he loved to play with, such as Steve Vai, Ian Underwood, Adrian Belew, Arthur Barrow, Vinnie Colaiuta, Scott Thunes, Mike Keneally, Denny Walley, Warren Cuccurullo and Napoleon Murphy Brock among others who are committed to being part of this epic endeavor. When I spoke with them, they were excited at the prospect of performing alongside Frank once again and can’t wait to give fans an unforgettable experience.' "

http://www.zappa.com/news/frank-zapp...-hologram-tour

That's an impressive array of guests, and could be a heckuva band that I'd definitely want to see.

I'm sure there's a lot that could be discussed here. Just posting this is opening up all of the cans of all of the worms. But I shan't begin the hand-wringing and arm-chair moralizing. Rather, I'll say I hope this is done well, and that, again, I'd really like to see a band featuring any or all of those guys.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm not a Zappa guy, but I've always admired him as a musician and an artist. As a non-Zappa fan (I don't hate him or anything, just never connected with his music), I can't imagine that this is something he'd be on-board with. And considering all of the nonsense with Dweezil, this is kinda goofy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

well....

It (I hesitate to use 'he') won't yell at the band for getting high...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    And considering all of the nonsense with Dweezil, this is kinda goofy.
    This is obviously a response to all of that. IMO.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    "LOS ANGELES – SEPTEMBER 21, 2017 – Eyellusion, live music’s premier hologram production company, today announced that it will work closely with the Zappa Family Trust to produce hologram performances of Frank Zappa, giving fans an opportunity to experience the prolific, eclectic and critically acclaimed music legend live in concert again. Production for the Zappa shows will kick off in late 2017, with performances announced later in 2018.

“ 'I’m thrilled that Frank Zappa will finally be going back out on tour playing his most well-known music as well as some rare and unheard material,' said Ahmet Zappa, co-Trustee of the Zappa Family Trust. 'We can’t wait to bring his creative work back to the stage with the musicians he loved to play with, such as Steve Vai, Ian Underwood, Adrian Belew, Arthur Barrow, Vinnie Colaiuta, Scott Thunes, Mike Keneally, Denny Walley, Warren Cuccurullo and Napoleon Murphy Brock among others who are committed to being part of this epic endeavor. When I spoke with them, they were excited at the prospect of performing alongside Frank once again and can’t wait to give fans an unforgettable experience.' "

http://www.zappa.com/news/frank-zapp...-hologram-tour

That's an impressive array of guests, and could be a heckuva band that I'd definitely want to see.

I'm sure there's a lot that could be discussed here. Just posting this is opening up all of the cans of all of the worms. But I shan't begin the hand-wringing and arm-chair moralizing. Rather, I'll say I hope this is done well, and that, again, I'd really like to see a band featuring any or all of those guys.
    OK I'll open up the can of worms with three points:

1) Maybe Dio would have approved of his hologram show, as his widow claims. But there's no chance in hell Zappa would have approved of this. He would have ridiculed this silliness. He might have even written a song: Corpses on tour.
    2) Putting aside point 1, is there really a market for this? Dweezil plays medium-sized theaters. Would this do any better?
    3) One hell of a band, that's for sure. That band + Dweezil would be quite a show.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    One hell of a band, that's for sure.
    I dunno. Why play with those non - stars, when FZ could be playing with Michael Jackson, Tupac, John Lennon, Jimi and Elvis. That's the level of stars he should be playing with!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

No. Just no.

Admittedly, the band would be smoking, but I have zero interest in watching a hologram Frank.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I can't wait to see hologram Zappa perform some of the really risque and racial material. I'm sure that will go down well with crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I dunno. Why play with those non - stars, when FZ could be playing with Michael Jackson, Tupac, John Lennon, Jimi and Elvis. That's the level of stars he should be playing with!
    If hologram tours do find a profitable niche in the "live" concert marketplace, I'm sure that's exactly where this is going in the next few years. All the dead stars you can shake a stick at... Together on stage at the same time.

If hologram tours do find a profitable niche in the "live" concert marketplace, I'm sure that's exactly where this is going in the next few years. All the dead stars you can shake a stick at... Together on stage at the same time.
    I agree. I was just trying to bat away the inevitability ....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

This is obviously a response to all of that. IMO.
    Totally agree. If hologram Frank is actually touring, it's just one more "reason" the ZFT can trot out to try to keep Dweezil from performing his dad's music under his own given name. F*** Ahmet.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I've always wanted to see Ella Fitzgerald sing with Stevie Ray Vaughn.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It opens new possibilities for the living stars as well... Instead of doing a long and costly tour one could just make a simultaneous live performance at each booked venue the same night.

Let the dead pave the way for the living!
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 09-21-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Meh...I'm holding out for the ELPowell reunion tour.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Why stop there? We can have dead presidents and religious figures playing in Uncle Frank's band. It could be tailored differently depending on the makeup of the audience. In Boston, you could have JFK ripping leads on electric guitar while St.Francis hammers on the drums.

When will Jerry make his reappearance? The Grateful Dead!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Why stop there? We can have dead presidents and religious figures playing in Uncle Frank's band. It could be tailored differently depending on the makeup of the audience. In Boston, you could have JFK ripping leads on electric guitar while St.Francis hammers on the drums.
    Gotta get MLK in there somewhere. Vocals I suppose.

Is it April 1st?

Alumni, think twice. There are, regrettably, some good and respectable people involved in this appalling, repugnant, mercantile venture.

This sentence suggests a modest awareness of the current ZFT situation : "“Also, how radical would it be to have Moon singing ‘Valley Girl’ onstage with Frank? Or to see Dweezil side by side with our father playing dueling guitar solos? ". Looks like a joke. Perhaps they mean their holograms too.

In its perverse way, this utterly inauthentic project is very Zappa, though. Nothing he did ever pretended to be profound, deeply sensitive, "decent" or "true". It was all about artifice and cheepnis for him. But, the work he did in that spirit was honest work.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 09-21-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Ian Underwood

well....

It (I hesitate to use 'he') won't yell at the band for getting high...
    We don't necessarily know that.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I can't wait to see hologram Zappa perform some of the really risque and racial material. I'm sure that will go down well with crowds.
    Maybe they can have hologram crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Maybe they can have hologram crowds.
    And hologram money.

Well, personally I would love to see that band.......with Dweezil. Otherwise, I am not interested in seeing holograms of anyone, no matter how great they were in life.

If this is really true, then it's obviously being rolled out to further undercut what Dweezil has been doing so well on his own for years now.

Also, Frank would have mocked this idea mercilessly, no doubt.