Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RIP to Steely Dan's Walter Becker

saw the Dan on the first reunion tour around 1994 at the spectrum 3rd level which is normally a waste of a ticket but the sound was so good that I couldn't believe it a great loss love Gaucho my favorite

All the bands I grew up with and loved now have gaping holes punched in them. But I still have their music and now, when I close my eyes, it's the 1970s again. Thank you Walter for this gift.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    Being born in 1969 and sneaking into my older sister's room to listen to her records, Steely Dan were like opening the most magical fairy tale book and at the same time almost making me feeling ashamed, like I was looking at a nudie mag.
    I kind of had that same experience, even though I was born in '64. My older brother and sisters had this amazing record collection -- Yes, CSN, Joni Mitchell, Steely Dan, Traffic -- that instantly rubbed off on me. To them it was just what was around at the time, but even back then I sort of knew we were all in a magical period for popular music.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    It's been hard to hold back tears all day... this is so perfect. Thanks :P

From my FB page today-

Really sorry to wake and hear Steely Dan's Walter Becker passed away. I knew he'd been ill for awhile so I guess it's not a shock, but it's still a drag. He and Donald Fagen were the architects behind the Steely sound. Of course Don is the better known of the two, but I cannot understate Walter's input and influence. He played bass on the first three albums and here and there on others. He also was a unique guitarist- laying down some of Steely's most memorable solos- Josie, Black Friday, Gaucho, Bad Sneakers, Home At Last and The Fez are a few that come to mind. Solos as memorable as any put down by the myriad of studio guitarists they used on their later records. He also brought the snark to the proceedings lyrically. RIP....

www.walterbecker.com
    And was a master arranger to boot. Damn, this one - among a number of other very important losses of late - hurts so much. Steely Dan, and Becker especially, were huge in my world and a major influence on not just my own music but my world outlook too, in many ways. I associate them with my time in L.A. - having moved there as a 17 year old, working in studios as an engineer and just entering into the industry. I heard Can't Buy A Thrill and it was like magic to me. Brilliant in too many ways to mention. Hearing those two in interviews, the snark, the humour, and yeah, some of the arrogance, was life changing. Another way to be a rocker, and such a very intriguing sort of rock music it was. Steely Dan was definitely a highlight of the 70s for me.

Becker and Fagen were so tight. I'm sure this is deeply felt by Donald and all of the Steely Dan family. All the best thoughts and prayers to them for recovery.

He will be missed.... thanks so much for everything, Walter. Safe and expansive travels to you, sir.

Rest in peace,

Kim
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I made my friend Jim a Steely Dan cassette tape sometime around '99 or '00 when we were in middle school in rural Rhode Island. We quickly decided that Becker and Fagen were the coolest and with varying degrees of accuracy modeled our lives on theirs. In my mind Becker was cooler than Dylan and Kerouac combined.

And man...that solo from Bad Sneakers...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    In an obituary thread. Is nothing sacred indeed.
    I was responding to someone else.

RIP Mr Becker

A little break from my Krautrock binge for an honorary headphone spin of my favorite Dan album Pretzel Logic (OK, tied with The Royal Scam). There are some extraordinary things happening in this music when you break it all down, these guys are/were certainly no dummies and imo Fagen and Becker created some of the greatest music that America should be proud of, outside of the jazz and classical world. The arrangements alone are worth their weight in gold (and then some), and there can be a lot to be learned on multiple levels when you dive in.

67 is an age that has an affect on me, as I lost greatest guy and hero in my life at that age (my pop), as well as George Duke, Hunter S Thompson, Dexter Gordon, and now Becker (amongst others). Anyway you slice it, its far too young to go. Thoughts to his family, fans, and especially his fellow musical companion Donald.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Thanks for so much Walter.
    Rest in peace.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I didn't know Walter was ill so this came as a complete shock, which I'm still processing. It's such a loss and at such an early age.

Walter and Donald's music has meant an incredible amount to me over the years. When I was a somewhat alienated teenager their lyrics, music and attitude seemed to speak to me personally like nothing else did. But SD is one of the very few artists I wholeheartedly loved then that I still feel exactly the same way about now, thirty years later. There never was and never will be anything else like the Dan, and it couldn't have existed without the both of them - a pairing for the ages.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

p.s. It would be nice if people could refrain from taking cheap shots at Donald Fagen in this thread. Anyone who thinks Donald would do anything that would disrespect Walter or his legacy is massively off-beam IMO.

Bandcamp Profile

Wow, the loss of another music giant and genius. Steely Dan really did their own thing and bucked trends and the result was that were ultra popular. RIP.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 09-05-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

This is so sad.
    The coin didn't fully drop with me and the Dan until my late twenties but then it was a machine that paid out in silver dollars. Constantly.
    Beyond the songs, the arrangements, the recordings, the delivery, the attitude and the words...all of which made Steely Dan unique, was the story, relationship and approach of Becker and Fagen. I loved their dynamic, their humour and their general vibe.
    Watching interviews, hearing their bonhomie and their observations on music and life made me love them even more.

It's always heartbreaking with great duos to find that they didn't get on in real life.
    Becker and Fagen were like Laurel and Hardy, a partnership you could really believe in.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 09-04-2017 at 06:59 AM.

Some Steely Dan rarities for your listening pleasure. Saw the Dan last summer at Saratoga and they sounded awesome. I for one hope they do keep touring, what better way to celebrate Walter Beckers memory.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLi...&v=V38Gd5wAlBw

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...becker-w501078

This is such a great tribute. Please take a minute read it... I think you'll be glad you did!

Wonderful , wonderful music. RIP Walter. 67? Damn.

This is such a great tribute. Please take a minute read it... I think you'll be glad you did!
    Yes, beautiful piece, very insightful. Thanks for posting.

Bill

Thanks, that is a fantastic piece and very touching.

Bandcamp Profile

Jon Neudorf
    Beautiful indeed. Hard reading that and not shed tears.

RIP Mr. Becker.

Hearing Midnight cruiser on the radio right now.

Beautifull song.

Never really was into Steely Dan, but this song might change my mind.

RIP Mr. Becker.

He was a very big deal to me, and I will miss his lovely contributions to the world.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

A fine appreciation from Amanda Petrusich in the New Yorker

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cul...-of-steely-dan
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart