Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nektar rumour

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    And there's the two Chester Thompson, one is the drummer who played with Weather Report, Zappa, and that singing actor guy, ya know, the one who was on Miami Vice. There's a keyboardist named Chester Thompson, who played with Santana during the 80's.
    There are a couple of Santana tracks (on the Beyond Appearances album) that include both.

Another of these is that Steve Gadd, the drummer who was in Charlie, isn't the famous fusion drummer who played on "Aja." And the late Paul Young who sang for Mike & the Mechanics wasn't the one who had the MTV hits solo.

To return to the topic proper, the idea of "Nektar" continuing on without Roye Albrighton is as silly an idea as it was the first time he left in the 70s.
    Roye was always the soul of the band....through his (by turns) heavy, heartbreaking, and beautiful guitar work and vocals.
    I can certainly understand the remaining band members wanting to carry on so they don't have to get day jobs, but how can anyone say "Roye would have wanted it this way?". How can you know that?
    Nektar died with Roye, as far as I'm concerned...and replacing him is impossible. I respect Ron Howden to the heavens but without Roye he will just be helming a tribute band. I hope they all truly believe "Roye would have wanted it this way", but I believe it will be a stain on their legacy.

Don't walk away.
    Give it a chance.
    Let it grow.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I was a huge Nektar fan in high school. Unfortunately, I missed seeing them with Roye in their first and most memorable incarnation. I kept and open mind, despite a heavy heart to go see them at the Golden Bear in Hunington Beach, and then subsequently in the Santa Monica Civic with Dave Nelson singing and taking the place of one of my favorite guitar players/singers. I was dubious I would be into it. We met Mo outside the Golden Bear before the show. He was positive and very much willing to talk and greet us. The music was great. No Roye, but the concert was one of the best I've seen in a small club and the power of some of the songs very impressive (I remember Preacher just thundering for 8-10 minutes). Santa Monica Civic was equally impressive. My take home, as great a player, personality, and singer Roye was, the music made by the band was what I loved. Also Mick, Mo, Taff, and Ron are underrated due to Roye's star.

So when I saw the the old Nektarmusic.com site was talking about another line up. I wasn't thinking like I did in high school, no Roye, no Nektar. It's the music and lyrics that I can hold on to and will always have with me.

Roye was essential but "Magic is a Child" is a still a very good Nektar album. Of course that had three of the classic band instead of just one, but I'll still give the new lineup a chance and I'm glad there is a lineup to say that about.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Roye was essential but "Magic is a Child" is a still a very good Nektar album. Of course that had three of the classic band instead of just one, but I'll still give the new lineup a chance and I'm glad there is a lineup to say that about.
    And Man in the moon had two of the classic band, though including Roye.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Four. Don't forget Mick. He contributed more than just his liquid light show.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^ What he said. Personally, I believe that if it wasn't for Mick, Nektar wouldn't have become as successful as they did. Even when Roye and Ron were touring, lights were a big factor in the overall show.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Mick also contributed to the writing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"