Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson North American Tour WITHOUT Marco Minnemann!!!!

Steven Wilson North American Tour WITHOUT Marco Minnemann!!!!

I'm sorry but this is bullshit. Wackerman is awesome no doubt. But hes not Minnemann. He was being promoted as his drummer, how did he not know this???!!! I saw his first tour with Minnemann, and honestly cant imagine anyone else filling the seat like him. Very disappointing

Steven Wilson - Official page
    Please note that the SW band for the tour will change between the European and American legs. The line up for all of the European shows will be the same as on the forthcoming album: Guthrie Govan - guitar, Adam Holzman - keyboards, Theo Travis - flute/sax, Nick Beggs - bass, and Marco Minnemann - drums. However, due to another touring commitment, Marco is unable to join the band on the North / South American leg of the tour. Sorry as I am to not have Marco for the whole tour, I'm very happy to announce that Chad Wackerman will be taking over the drum stool for these shows. Chad is perhaps best known for being Frank Zappa's drummer for 7 years in the eighties, until Zappa's retirement from live performance, but he is also a composer and band leader in his own right, and has performed with many other high profile artists. Needless to say Chad is an extraordinary musician who will bring his own talents and unique style to the SW band.
    Please note that the SW band for the tour will change between the European and American legs. The line up for all of the European shows will be the same as on the forthcoming album: Guthrie Govan - guitar, Adam Holzman - keyboards, Theo Travis - flute/sax, Nick Beggs - bass, and Marco Minnemann - drums. However, due to another touring commitment, Marco is unable to join the band on the North / South American leg of the tour. Sorry as I am to not have Marco for the whole tour, I'm very happy to announce that Chad Wackerman will be taking over the drum stool for these shows. Chad is perhaps best known for being Frank Zappa's drummer for 7 years in the eighties, until Zappa's retirement from live performance, but he is also a composer and band leader in his own right, and has performed with many other high profile artists. Needless to say Chad is an extraordinary musician who will bring his own talents and unique style to the SW band.
    Like · · Share · 1,263245199 · 15 hours ago ·

I really am puzzled how Marco suddenly has another touring commitment. In any case, I just love Chad's playing, I've never seen this lineup anyway, it's still going to be awesome!

Banned
    no idea who Marco is - either way...chill out...life happens, shit happens.

I saw Marco with Wilson on the GFD tour, and he was definitely excellent. That said, it is still Wilson's show and I doubt he'd bring in someone else who wasn't up to the challenge. And it'll be nice to see someone different this time.

I'm still there.

Doubtful that this is sudden. I'm guessing that Minneman was being dragged in two different directions and had a difficult decision to make.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I have no idea who that is anyway. I'm going to the show.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

If I had bought tickets I would definitely be disappointed. Minnemann's presence is a large part of what I would have been looking forward to.

I love Wackerman's work (like on Frank Zappa's '88 tour stuff) and have a ton of respect for his playing, but....it just won't be the same.

It'll probably still be awesome though.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 02-06-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    For me this is one drummer with whom I'm almost totally unfamiliar being replaced by another drummer with whom I'm almost totally unfamiliar so it's tough for me to conjure up much in the way of disappointment.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Wow....People on this site do not now who Wackerman is....Must not be Zappa fans.....

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I saw Marco with Wilson on the GFD tour, and he was definitely excellent. That said, it is still Wilson's show and I doubt he'd bring in someone else who wasn't up to the challenge. And it'll be nice to see someone different this time.

I'm still there.
    Don't get me wrong, Wackerman is a monster with amazing chops and skills and I have no doubt that he'll bring it. Im disappointed in not seeing Minnemann, but know without question Wackerman will show up to play!
    Last edited by gpeccary; 02-06-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Wow....People on this site do not now who Wackerman is....Must not be Zappa fans.....
    I am a very casual fan of Zappa with just a handful of albums. I could probably only name just a few of his higher profile side musicians, ones who went on to greater fame via other projects such as Steve Vai and Adrian Belew. Aside from guys like that I'm basically clueless.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

... or Holdsworth fans; Chad has worked with him more than any other drummer.

I've seen Minnemann once and Wackerman several times. They're quite different from one another, but they're both great drummers. IMO, Chad is a bit less showy but perhaps more musical, or at least more of an organic, "of the moment" player. I don't think anybody should be freaking out over this; it's hardly like they got some hack to replace a master. CW is more than capable of handling the challenge.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    FU Steven Wilson!

Just kidding - like it makes a difference! Both drummers have appeared at NEARfest. Good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I don't think anybody should be freaking out over this; it's hardly like they got some hack to replace a master.
    Exactly. I think it will be interesting to hear another great drummer interpreting Minneman's parts.

NP: Opeth Still Life

I've seen Chad numerous times with Holdsworth and he's one of the most dynamic drummers I've ever seen. His command of the kit is staggering, but his style is far different than Marco. Which should make for a different feel. I would bet there's a lot of diversity between these legs of the tour. I'd love to be able to compare the two, but I won't be going to any of the shows. Maybe SW can release a double DVD featuring both guys. Sounds like good marketing to me.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Banned
    snob are we? I'm not much of a Zappa fan. But I appreciate his music and his fans. And in fact, I'm going to see Zappa Plays Zappa Friday night.

SW - Makes album with Marco in mind, records and eventually releases it.
    MM - Sorry but I can't do half the tour for the album that you wrote just in mind with my drumming skills. LULZ

Seriously though, that sucks for NA/SA fans who wanted to see Marco with the band.

-Marc.

He probably got another gig that pays more. Marco is a freelance musician, I'm sure his work with SW is only a small part of his schedule.

Jefferson James
    This band seems more free-form in approach so I'm pretty sure a master like Chad Wackerman will put his own rhythmic stamp on the music and who knows, maybe take things even further? Anything is possible. This is still going to be a great tour -- Adam Holzman alone is worth the price of admission, not to mention the other fine musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    This band seems more free-form in approach so I'm pretty sure a master like Chad Wackerman will put his own rhythmic stamp on the music and who knows, maybe take things even further? Anything is possible.
    Yep! A couple of years ago ago, Chick Corea and John McLaughlin formed "The Five Peace Band" and did an extensive tour. Vinnie Colaiuta filled the drum chair for half of the tour and Brian Blade did the other half. A double disc live album came out of the part that Vinnie played. A friend of mine who is one of the best drummers in Chicago is a Colaiuta disciple, but having seen the show with Brian and heard the album with Vinnie, he had this comment: "As much as I love Vinnie, I think Brian was better with them." So to quote Forrest Gump, "life is a like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get." Leave your expectations at home, you just might be surprised!

Minneman is going on tour with Joe Satriani.

From his FB page:

"Ok, so I officially joined JOE SATRIANI for his 2013 tour.
    And,.....just so you know:
    Also all ARISTOCRATS activities will continue as planned!
    See you soon! :-)
    --MM

My question now is will this alter Wilson's decision about who plays drums on the next album?

Guess he is after the $$, Joe will draw more people.

Sorry, I can't get worked up over this. Marco might have gotten a long term gig with Satriani, possibly including a retainer when they aren't on tour. that makes a big difference if you've been free lancing .

Chad Wackerman is an incredible drummer. I've seen him many times with AH. I'm sure he will do fine with SW.