Thread: Steve Walsh is back!!

Steve Walsh is back!!

Well, that retirement didn't last long. Couldn't take the music out of him.

I'm just guessing he didn't want to tour with Kansas anymore, in the end. The sample is okay, definitely more in the Streets vein than in the solo vein he was doing in the late 1990s/2000s.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Good to hear he's doing something again, he'd not looked happy in Kansas for years.

Sounds like Streets circa 1983. His voice sounds good, like he finally got that raspy frog out. Having a few years to rest up surely helped.

That was good enough to keep me interested in the progress of the album. Because his voice had gotten so raggedy towards the end of his tenure w/Kansas I'm not sure how much of the voice is really him and how much is studio tweaking but in the end it sounds like time away did him good.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    That was good enough to keep me interested in the progress of the album. Because his voice had gotten so raggedy towards the end of his tenure w/Kansas I'm not sure how much of the voice is really him and how much is studio tweaking but in the end it sounds like time away did him good.
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing because he did sound better here than he had with Kansas for many years. Studio trickery or did some time off help him out or some combination of the two. A bit disappointing that he left Kansas for this. It wasn't a bad song, but it seems a shame to leave a great band to do something far less interesting.

The man had such a phenomenal voice in his twenties and thirties that now, even at just a fraction of his original self, he has a voice most metal singers would die for. It's hard not to compare him to his early work, but just taken on its own merit, his voice is still very powerful and expressive, just in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    The man had such a phenomenal voice in his twenties and thirties that now, even at just a fraction of his original self, he has a voice most metal singers would die for. It's hard not to compare him to his early work, but just taken on its own merit, his voice is still very powerful and expressive, just in a different way.
    Well said. I think his voice sounds pretty damn strong on this track.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Definitely has a Streets vibe to it. Pretty good track and his voice sounds good. Looking forward to it.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Yes he sounds good but he is also heavily backed by Jerome Mazza (Ex-Angelica) the lead vocalist of Pinnacle Point

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Yes he sounds good but he is also heavily backed by Jerome Mazza (Ex-Angelica) the lead vocalist of Pinnacle Point

I thought Steve's voice was much better, until I heard Jerome by himself here. It makes me wonder just how much of that was Steve, since they have a similar quality to their voices.
    Plus, with a name like "Pinnacle Point", it makes me wonder how much Jerome was influenced by Kansas. Similar style in the two songs as well.

Damn, I miss Steve and Kerry together.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Holy crap! Jerome Mazza does have a similar voice to Walsh.

Mazza sounds more like Walsh than Walsh.

Mazza looks like a younger Jim Crichton.

this guy should have been Steve's replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Plus, with a name like "Pinnacle Point", it makes me wonder how much Jerome was influenced by Kansas. Similar style in the two songs as well.
    The song's chorus reminds me of "Silhouettes In Disguise" from Power, so yeah.

That guy should be the singer in Kansas.

Yeah, okay, maybe Pinnacle Point is just a SMIDGEON like Kansas... maybe a little... a WEE bit... not too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Yeah, okay, maybe Pinnacle Point is just a SMIDGEON like Kansas... maybe a little... a WEE bit... not too much.

The resemblance is uncanny!

So, the takeaway from this thread isn't that Steve Walsh is back, but that Pinnacle Point is a damn good Kansas-like band.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post

I'm not hearing it... which part?

Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'm not hearing it... which part?
    The part where they play...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.