Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ready Player One

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar

Ready Player One

Anyone else as excited for this movie as I am? I just finished the book and have watched the trailer at least 10 times. I cannot wait for March!
    Chad

Loved the book, and am really looking forward to the movie. Hoping that Spielberg can do it correctly (and get the all of the licensing needed to do so). I've seen a lot of criticism of the trailer and then of the book, but I would think that if you're of a certain age, this is just a fun nostalgia trip.

io9 did a great breakdown of the trailer, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Absolutely! This is one of those movies that I could care less what anyone else, especially critics, say.
    Chad

Hi Chad -

Something I noticed while viewing that 'trailer' (is that correct) Anyway... earlier in the viewing when film was augmented by typed words at the bottom, in two places I noticed discrepancies.

Please - somebody tell me I am not nuts!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

You are correct, the subtitling said "minions" when the speaker said "millions." I didn't catch the other example.

As to whether or not you're nuts, I'll reserve judgment.

Never heard of it. I'm guessing from the title that it's video game related?

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Never heard of it. I'm guessing from the title that it's video game related?
    Sort of, it is based on a novel by Ernest Cline. He is a huge 80's video game fan as well as a big Rush fan.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

The book is chock full of '80s movie, video game, music and TV references. The billionaire software guru that built the OASIS in the book was obsessed with the '80s. For me, the book was a great read. Lots of stuff right in my wheelhouse from growing up, especially the classic arcade games.
    Chad

Chad describes the book well. I would add that that film, to be true to the book, is going to be one on-going 80s Easter egg hunt, with references to music, video games, films, books, etc. all throughout. The guys doing the CGI on this had to have a blast, and I imagine that every frame of this will be examined by the nerderatti.

I wouldn't call Cline the greatest writer, and his follow-up, Armada, was disappointing, but Ready Player One is a quick read and lots of fun.

Fun fact: One Andy Weir's (author of The Martian) first attempts at writing was a little RPO fan fiction that is now considered canon.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    ... obsessed with the '80s.
    A nothing decade I've been trying to forget ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    A nothing decade I've been trying to forget ever since.
    You would hate this then, Mr. Grumpypants.

Nah, he's just too old. If it was '60s and '70s based nostalgia, he'd be all in.
    Chad

First time I e heard about the movie or book. Will check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    If it was '60s and '70s based nostalgia, he'd be all in.
    Mr. Grumpypants says:

People all over the world are STILL discovering all of the fantastic innovation of the '60s and '70s. What do the '80s have? Kajagoogoo?

Mr. Grumpypants says:

People all over the world are STILL discovering all of the fantastic innovation of the '60s and '70s. What do the '80s have? Kajagoogoo?
    Pac-Man, bro

Mr. Grumpypants says:

That's a very reductionist view to take of an entire decade. 80s pop culture has endured as long as it has for a number of reasons. As a child of the 80s myself, I wholeheartedly disagree about it being a "nothing decade".

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That's a very reductionist view to take of an entire decade. 80s pop culture has endured as long as it has for a number of reasons. As a child of the 80s myself, I wholeheartedly disagree about it being a "nothing decade".
    I think its true that "old" people, like myself, are going to reflect on the 70s (the birth of progressive rock) instead of the 80s. I was only 18 in 1980 but the musical terrain, at least for symphonic prog rock, died at that time.

Pardon me for adding to the derail of this thread. I'm sure the movie is still very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think its true that "old" people, like myself, are going to reflect on the 70s (the birth of progressive rock) instead of the 80s. I was only 18 in 1980 but the musical terrain, at least for symphonic prog rock, died at that time.
    As far as symphonic prog-rock is concerned, I completely agree it was pretty much dead in the 80s (although that was when it was flourishing in Japan). But there was a lot of other stuff from that decade that made it worthwhile, IMO.

Besides yourself? Name some.

Besides yourself? Name some.
    Not sure I understand.

Mr. Grumpypants says:

Serious answer:

My favorite Tangerine Dream line-up, and many fine albums recorded by other electronic music stalwarts.

Many great electronic soundtracks, too, not to mention the appearance of my single favorite orchestral film score, Basil Poledouris' for Conan the Barbarian.

A load of great metal records — NWOBHM and otherwise.

Some good prog, too.

Great horror movies.

Miami Vice, TJ Hooker, and Tales from the Darkside.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Not sure I understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01
    But there was a lot of other stuff from that decade that made it worthwhile, IMO.
    Mr. Grumpypants is sceptical.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Married with Children
    Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure
    Super Mario
    Feris Bueller
    Aliens
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    Terminator
    The Shining
    The Young Ones
    Black Adder
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Mr. Grumpypants is sceptical.
    Well disregarding music for a moment, there were lots of movies and books that came out in the 80s. My favorite horror movie of all time is John Carpenter's The Thing, and it came out in 1982. Then there were the Indiana Jones movies, and the latter two Star Wars films. Plus Ghostbusters.

Stephen King's "It" was also written and released in the 80s.

There were also video games (Nintendo and Atari), plus the rise of arcades. Technological advances in the computer field as well, making it easier to have a home PC (and old shareware games, like the Kroz series).

Going back to music, one of Rush's most iconic and enduring songs, "Tom Sawyer", also came out in the 80s.

I'm kinda glad I missed the 80's. whenever I hear music from that decade I generally cringe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk