Thread: Stop Making Sense

Stop Making Sense

Stop Making Sense, the great Talking Heads concert movie, is being shown at the Cleveland Cinematheque on Wednesday night. As I understand it, this is a nation wide thing, theaters all over the US are showing the film on Wednesday, I guess as some sort of big tribute to Jonathan Demme (who directed the film). So if you're a Heads head (see what I did there?) you might want to see if it's playing somewhere near you.

I have not yet seen it. Byrne was getting into some music and dance moves at this point that I could not follow him into, so I never bothered.

Did I miss much?

saw the movie at least thrice at local second-run moviehouses in the early 80's (where we saw TSRTS, The Wall, RHPS and so many others)
    Though I never own the music-only discs, I always held the movie-media (VHS) and I still own the DVD

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I have not yet seen it. Byrne was getting into some music and dance moves at this point that I could not follow him into, so I never bothered.

Did I miss much?
    Yesss you did/do (and will, if you don't see it once in your life)...
    Despite the enlarged line-up (but this was the second wave tour that was filmed, where Adrian Belew was not in anymore), this is essential TH stuff...
    I features a lot from Speaking In Tongues and Remain in Light, which are their best albums...

the gradual introduction of members and Byrne's spectacular stage antics are pure bliss if you a TH enthusiast.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Did I miss much?
    Only one of the greatest concert films ever made.

Okay, people do get hyperbolic talking about this one, but it deserves the iconic status. It was one of the first (and arguably among the best) pop-rock theatrical productions. By which I meant it was thoroughly thought-out as a stage show, as opposed to a band accompanied by lights/videos. To be fair, one's appreciation for that is probably proportionate to one's enjoyment of that trademark David Byrne quirkiness, so it also comes down to personal taste.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I have not yet seen it. Byrne was getting into some music and dance moves at this point that I could not follow him into
    Oh, you don't have to dance along with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yesss you did/do (and will, if you don't see it once in your life)...
    Despite the enlarged line-up (but this was the second wave tour that was filmed, where Adrian Belew was not in anymore), this is essential TH stuff...
    I features a lot from Speaking In Tongues and Remain in Light, which are their best albums...

the gradual introduction of members and Byrne's spectacular stage antics are pure bliss if you a TH enthusiast.
    Agree about the two best albums!

My all time second favorite concert film.

So yeah, you missed something.

One helluva performance piece. It'd be great to see it in a theater with the proper volume. I didn't like everything Byrne was doing at this point but on stage it all worked. That big band was a bruiser.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But do I have to wear The Big Suit?

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    My all time second favorite concert film.

So yeah, you missed something.
    Out of curiosity, what's your #1?

Agree about the two best albums!
    I'm confused - there's hardly any soloing in Talking Heads music.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I'm confused - there's hardly any soloing in Talking Heads music.
    I'm glad you're trying to keep up. But that doesn't really apply to pop music for me. But I do like for pop songs to have interesting instrumental sections, and a lot of TH songs do.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Out of curiosity, what's your #1?
    Cardiacs ~ Mares nest

I'm glad you're trying to keep up. But that doesn't really apply to pop music for me. But I do like for pop songs to have interesting instrumental sections, and a lot of TH songs do.
    Lots of Radiohead songs have interesting instrumental sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Okay, I watched some clips on YouTube. I see what the excitement is about. The backup singers aren't wearing bras!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Lots of Radiohead songs have interesting instrumental sections.
    I'll give them more of a try some time.

Okay, I watched some clips on YouTube. I see what the excitement is about. The backup singers aren't wearing bras!
    Are they female?

Very.

Great film! Had a great time last night, seeing this film in a theater. One of the things that's interesting (for those who still haven't seen it), is the way the film begins. David Byrne walks out onstage (with no backdrop curtain or anything, you see the "guts" of the backstage area, if you will) with a Martin and a tape deck. He puts the tape deck down on the stage floor presses play, and a drum machine pattern starts on the tape, and he starts strumming away and launches into a solo version of Psycho Killer. Then toward the end of the song, there's this extended instrumental section, where he sort of stumbles around the stage, as the roadies start moving equipment out onstage. T

Then over the next few songs, the stage is built, as the group expands, first with Tina Weymouth (and some offstage backup vocals) on the second song, then Chris Frantz joins for the third song, then Jerry Harrison joins for the fourth. By about the fifth or sixth song, the entire expanded band is onstage, and the backdrop curtain gets lowered into place. Don't ask me why, but I always thought that was whole process of building the stage and the band across the first 25 or so minutes was an innovative approach to live performance (as opposed to having the stage made up before the audience is let in, and kicking off with a big number with full production and stage show and everything).

The other really cool thing is, I forget which song it was, but there's one where David Byrne himself plays a very Adrian Belew style guitar solo. I'm thinking, "Wait a minute! David Byrne can play guitar like that?!" I always reckoned he was a "rhythm" guitarist only.

Oh yeah, and I love the bit where Byrne leaves the stage and the rest of the band launches into Genius Of Love (especially Tina's little dance she does during the breakdown near the end of the song, and Chris Frantz announcing at the song's conclusion, "We're turning back into the Talking Heads now!").

I prefer the four-person version of the band.
    The Prog Corner

Saw this tour live in Berkeley. The film captures it as well as I suppose a film can...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Watched the first 25 minutes on Vudu this morning. There's no shortage of parts with a line of people jumping or running in unison. Have to admit that schtick hasn't aged well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post

Okay, people do get hyperbolic talking about this one, but it deserves the iconic status. It was one of the first (and arguably among the best) pop-rock theatrical productions. By which I meant it was thoroughly thought-out as a stage show, as opposed to a band accompanied by lights/videos. To be fair, one's appreciation for that is probably proportionate to one's enjoyment of that trademark David Byrne quirkiness, so it also comes down to personal taste.
    No, it doesn't, it is one of the greatest concert films ever made. Period. Full stop.

"And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Watched the first 25 minutes on Vudu this morning. There's no shortage of parts with a line of people jumping or running in unison. Have to admit that schtick hasn't aged well.
    it gets better as the film goes along... the last couple of tracks (including an extended Take Me To The River) are an unstoppable awesome machine
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.