Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: King Crimson Elements tour boxes

King Crimson Elements tour boxes

So, I'm only a medium-level KC nut - e.g. I don't have any of the recent giant box sets as I don't enjoy low quality audience recordings, and already have a lot of the better quality gigs on Collectors' Club releases, so there's not enough new material included that I would actually listen to.

Until now I also didn't pick up any of the Elements boxes - looking at track listings they just seemed like ragbags of odds & ends. But being a big Larks' man I was intrigued by CD 2 of the 2017 box and got it a couple of days ago. Really digging both discs - surprisingly (to me) coherent and fun listens, obviously assembled and programmed with a lot of care. Plus, because I don't have and won't be getting the giant boxes, a fair number of tracks are ones I wouldn't otherwise have.

So now I'm thinking about the 2014 / 15 / 16 boxes. Any views on these, good or bad?

2014 - Brilliant.
    2015 - Good.
    2016 - Alright.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Ha! I was think to starting this very thread, but for slightly different reasons.

I bought the 2014 box at the show, more as a memento really. When I realized that I was going to buy the 2017 box the completest urge bested me, and I mail ordered the 2015 and 2016 boxes. Loading them all into my computer is when I started to really pay attention to how they were put together.

What I find interesting is how they present the band as a whole, irregardless of incarnation. There's a kind of stream of consciousness/working memory guiding the presentation of tracks, bouncing back and forth in time. "Here's something new..." and then "This reminds me of when..." and then "Of course we can't forget..."

I've just begun the process of listening through the boxes, and I'll post again as I get my thoughts together.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

The '16 box is the only one I decided not to grab. I'm really enjoying the newest.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Argh! These boxes are a bit of a tagging nightmare. I just took my third pass at getting the files from all four boxes tagged consistently in a way I like. I suppose it is my own fault for being so nerdy and anal about it.

What is the difference between an "edit" and an "extract?"
    How much information should be included on the song title line?
    - Should it be tagged as "live?"
    - Should the performance place and date be noted?
    - Should, alternate takes or mixes, rehearsals, outtakes, and soundchecks be noted?
    - What notation system can most efficiently convey such matters?
    Is the recording date or the release date more important?
    - Should remixes or remasters have their release date rather than the original release date?

Erg.

Still, I think I'm done now.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

they are all fairly enjoyable releases but unless you are a big collector one is probably good enough though the new ones larks focus is a fairly interesting twist the others follow basically the same format.

and now that we have some good full live releases the little bits of live releases are much less essential.

I did enjoy disc 2 of the recent one although I do kinda wish it had been straight up larks 1-level 5 studio versions(knowing I could program that myself so this is actually more interesting but still)

I view them as mementos of the shows, rather than serious box sets. A step up from the booklets usually sold.

I do find it odd that the material selected for each box doesn't really match well with the actual setlist from the tour.

I liked the Anthology concept which was sadly diluted by the growing amount of current live material.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Argh! These boxes are a bit of a tagging nightmare. I just took my third pass at getting the files from all four boxes tagged consistently in a way I like. I suppose it is my own fault for being so nerdy and anal about it.

What is the difference between an "edit" and an "extract?"
    How much information should be included on the song title line?
    - Should it be tagged as "live?"
    - Should the performance place and date be noted?
    - Should, alternate takes or mixes, rehearsals, outtakes, and soundchecks be noted?
    - What notation system can most efficiently convey such matters?
    Is the recording date or the release date more important?
    - Should remixes or remasters have their release date rather than the original release date?

Erg.

Still, I think I'm done now.
    First-World problem, my friend!
    I'd say the original release date for a track is more important than the remix or remaster date. But this kind of thing is why I would keep the physical media and packaging. I wouldn't sweat the tagging so much personally and would refer to the package. But of course, if you enjoy a challenge...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Re: the 2017 box, I'd have edited out the studio noises in the Keep That One Nick segments on CD 2 to make things flow more nicely had I been in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Re: the 2017 box, I'd have edited out the studio noises in the Keep That One Nick segments on CD 2 to make things flow more nicely had I been in charge.
    Different strokes I guess, but I rather enjoy the way they stitch things together.

^^^^^^

even more unopened box sets!

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    ^^^^^^

Read the first post here:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-from-MoonJune

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's fascinating. Serious question. Do you actually listen to any of this prog music, or are you just into collecting it (and maybe later reselling it)? And, do you have a framed Asia poster displayed somewhere in your house? Break the cherries on some of these puppies and go crazy!

^^^^^^

That's fascinating. Serious question. Do you actually listen to any of this prog music, or are you just into collecting it (and maybe later reselling it)? And, do you have a framed Asia poster displayed somewhere in your house? [emoji6] Break the cherries on some of these puppies and go crazy!
    Yes, I listen to a lot of "this prog music." I just got the two unopened KC boxed sets today. I photographed them and posted it as bait for you.

I photographed them and posted it as bait for you.
    I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Why are three of these unopened?!
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yeah, that's nucking futs.
    The coolest kids leave the shrink wrap on....These were actually all in a box and I staged them for the photo.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 01-15-2018 at 06:59 PM.

I photographed them and posted it as bait for you.
    I see.
    Dok said: "Why are three of these unopened?!"

chalkpie said: "Yeah, that's nucking futs."

The coolest kids leave the shrink wrap on....These were actually all in a box and I staged them for the photo.
    Oh, sorry, no, that one wasn't bait for you. As the above explains, they were all in a box in the basement of our other house. I had just gotten two of the unwrapped ones as we were moving, so they'd been in the basement of that house for a long time until I unpacked them. I had at that point just gotten Songs from the Wood which is why I got the box and opened it.

But you know, I don't have as much time to listen to music as you do because I have kids. I assume you don't, being such an unpleasant person and basically being here on PE solely to be a complete jerk to everyone. I'm sure you're having fun making everyone dislike you, which seems to be the general consensus.

Lol. All I did was comment on your shrink wrapped unopened box sets, just as at least a few others have noticed you have.
    But keep on baiting!
    Last edited by DocProgger; 01-15-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Lol. All I did was comment on your shrink wrapped unopened box sets, just as at least a few others have noticed you have.

But keep on baiting!
    Dok and chalkpie aren't a-holes, so don't try to to drag them under the bus with you.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-15-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    To heck with why they're not opened; the last two are in the wrong order!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    To heck with why they're not opened; the last two are in the wrong order!!
    Yeah, someone else mentioned that. I just always thought Too Old to Rock and Roll... seemed like a more recent album than SFTW, so it was a brain lapse. I know that error threw a lot of people into a tizzy!

Yeah, someone else mentioned that. I just always thought Too Old to Rock and Roll... seemed like a more recent album than SFTW, so it was a brain lapse. I know that error threw a lot of people into a tizzy!
    Glad it's not just me raving and drooling like some unfortunate traveller driven mad by his sight of the non-Euclidean geometry of Cthulhu's temple of R'lyeh.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Glad it's not just me raving and drooling like some unfortunate traveller driven mad by his sight of the non-Euclidean geometry of Cthulhu's temple of R'lyeh.
    “The Tull sets!!! The Tull sets!!,” he gibbered incoherently.

But has it since been corrected!?!?! That part wasn't made clear!