Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SAGA – the end

Of course I heard "On The Loose" on the radio, but like a lot of 80s AOR, it didn't move me. The only Saga album I ever got was the debut, which was from the late 70s, I think. It's OK, but nothing that prompted me to get anything else by them.

I remember Saga's performance at Reading in, I think, 1981 being broadcast on Tommy Vance's rock show. It was fantastic and I had never heard anything quite like them. I grew up with the seventies progressive rock bands, but they were different somehow. Saga were not like the neo bands either. I later realised the In Transit album was a bit of a disappointment compared with the Reading performance. They really should release the Reading material on Windsong or something. The early albums were pretty good and I liked the one album with Rob Moratti.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    I grew up with the seventies progressive rock bands, but they were different somehow.
    Yeah, Saga were often hard to categorize. You could tell they all had good chops and were itching to bust out into intricate instrumental passages except it seemed that the dictate of "must be commercially palatable" stayed their hand. They weren't a neo band -- they were ahead of that trend. But they were far more sophisticated and interesting than other arena rock bands of the late 70s/early 80s like Journey or Styx.

That's probably what doomed them. Too fancy to go down with the simple minded rawk audience, but not flashy enough to earn them praise from musos. And not clever enough in their arrangements or lyrics (always their achilles heel, IMO) to rank with bands like Rush. But still good enough to find an audience and endure for umpteen years.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Watched this full concert video last night with the wife who was unable to stop poking fun of Michael Sadler's over-dramatic style (maybe that was their problem?), but I loved it. Ian Crichton gives me more "holy shit" moments than any other guitarist and his solos—when he's not over whammy-ing—elevate the songs several levels. He's like Randy Rhoads for old dudes. I wish I had seen them live and I'm seriously considering making the trip from Chicago to Toronto on the 24th.

Last edited by spiderfeathers; 02-10-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more." — Y.J. Malmsteen

Jon Neudorf
    I really dig 20/20. Their latest took more spins to grow on me. Perhaps not as progressive as past efforts but still extremely intelligent rock music. Great Canadian band! Going to miss them.

Jon
    Last edited by jlneudorf; 02-11-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Got their debut upon release and at the times I didn't like it, though it still felt OK. For some reason I've kept it and haven't regretted as it is one of the few AOR albums I have a soft spot for. They were more eclectic than your Bostons and Styxes.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfeathers View Post
    Watched this full concert video last night with the wife who was unable to stop poking fun of Michael Sadler's over-dramatic style (maybe that was their problem?), but I loved it. Ian Crichton gives me more "holy shit" moments than any other guitarist and his solos—when he's not over whammy-ing—elevate the songs several levels. He's like Randy Rhoads for old dudes. I wish I had seen them live and I'm seriously considering making the trip from Chicago to Toronto on the 24th.

Is this Feb 24th show a final one-off? Bad timing for me, I've got to teach that afternoon. Otherwise, yeah, a quick flight from Chicago, back the next day. It could work.

Thanks for posting the video BTW. Nice to see them going out while still giving such strong performances.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Is this Feb 24th show a final one-off? Bad timing for me, I've got to teach that afternoon. Otherwise, yeah, a quick flight from Chicago, back the next day. It could work.

Thanks for posting the video BTW. Nice to see them going out while still giving such strong performances.
    The 24th is the only date shown on their website so I assume it's a one off.

At what point in their career did Saga start touring as a "headliner", which I assume would have been in clubs and small venues? Were they more popular in their Canadian home country than in the US? Strange they became so popular in Germany apparently, but not in N.A.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I couldn't figure out if they were a prog band, a pop band, or some combination. I guess I still don't know! But I love most of their catalog. Only got to see them once (1985 or 1986). After that tour, they seemed to stop playing in the US entirely. I thought for sure one of the US prog festivals would have had them perform but that never happened.
    Surprised Rosfest never booked them. They would have fit into that footprint it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Strange they became so popular in Germany apparently, but not in N.A.
    There is some precedent for that. Barclay James Harvest & Mike Oldfield became "stars" in Germany while remaining cult artists elsewhere...Then there's "The Hoff."

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Barclay James Harvest & Mike Oldfield became "stars" in Germany while remaining cult artists elsewhere.
    Oldfield?! Garnered a substantial name and position in the UK, France and the Nordic countries as well. He enjoyed significant success in all of these lands throughout the 70s and 80s.

There were numerous other acts with 'German-limited' status, though - such as Ruphus from Norway and Splash from Sweden. Saga were a point in question, seeing as West Germany had a thing for more refined but 'easy-going' symphonic rock/AOR entities like Anabis, Satin Whale, Karat (from the GDR), Lake and more.

As with a couple of others in here, I only kept the debut Saga. Quite frankly I never heard much development in the following releases, although these weren't too bad either.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Oldfield?! Garnered a substantial name and position in the UK, France and the Nordic countries as well. He enjoyed significant success in all of these lands throughout the 70s and 80s.
    I'll take your word for it, as you are in or near those locales.

As with a couple of others in here, I only kept the debut Saga. Quite frankly I never heard much development in the following releases, although these weren't too bad either.
    Might want to revisit Silent Knight, their 3rd & best, IMO.

Isn't Manowar bigger in Germany than the Stones and Lady Gaga combined?
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more." — Y.J. Malmsteen

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I thought the show on CTTE was supposed to be their last show? If not, that explains why I didn't see more posts about it, footage, etc.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Isn't Manowar bigger in Germany than the Stones and Lady Gaga combined?
    Their breasts are, anyway.

There is some precedent for that. Barclay James Harvest & Mike Oldfield became "stars" in Germany while remaining cult artists elsewhere...Then there's "The Hoff."
    a few more bonus precedents: SAGA supported STYX on a german tour in the early 1980s and basically destroyed them every night. lasting impression made. on top of that they had an enthusiastic importer who made their debut widely available via polydor records whereas other territories hadn't yet. SAGA also had a few high profile TV features on both play back music shows and televised live events (of which west germany had a good few) and they also made an appearance in east germany as early as 1983. i still have an authorised and nomenclatura-sanctioned pressing of a GDR compilation on vinyl. then the detection of a genuine market combined with regular tours into every german territory – with the dogged dedication of teutonic music fans envisaging their music as escapism from the drabness of the early (and later) kohl years and a good deal of nerdy tech geeks brought up on heavy metal, new wave as well as kraut rock (which SAGA combined masterfully) to boot – and you have “a long and fruitful relationship” (sir dennis eton-hogg, polymer records).

there is a coffee table style book out tying in both their 40th anniversary and their retirement, curated and published by one of our own notorious super fans (and a long time professional supporter of their tours here). i don't have it but it's probably worth tracking down.

i think the hoff should join MANOWAR.

Well, last year I found some The Enid CD's in record departments in Germany.

Thanks very much for posting this

There were numerous other acts with 'German-limited' status, though - such as Ruphus from Norway and Splash from Sweden. Saga were a point in question, seeing as West Germany had a thing for more refined but 'easy-going' symphonic rock/AOR entities like Anabis, Satin Whale, Karat (from the GDR), Lake and more.
    Got a couple of their albums. Any fans of them on here?

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    Got a couple of their albums. Any fans of them on here?
    Lake?

Yes, I have most of their albums on CD.

Jon Neudorf
    Dig Lake as well.

Jon

^ I had one or two Lake albums back in the late 70s. They got airplay on the FM stations at the time.

Great setlist on that 2017 tour video. hope they release a DVD. love the Gen13 Suite.
    is that Jim on bass, he looks different. Jim G & Ian should hook up with Geddy Lee.