Thread: nails

nails

This question is for guitarists who use their fingernails instead of a pick. I play classical guitar which requires use of the fingernails. No matter what I try, I can not prevent them from breaking. A nail lasts for a few weeks before it breaks and then the tone production is altered. Most classical guitarists do not seem to have this problem. Is anybody else dealing with this? I would be very grateful for any advice or suggestions. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    This question is for guitarists who use their fingernails instead of a pick. I play classical guitar which requires use of the fingernails. No matter what I try, I can not prevent them from breaking. A nail lasts for a few weeks before it breaks and then the tone production is altered. Most classical guitarists do not seem to have this problem. Is anybody else dealing with this? I would be very grateful for any advice or suggestions. Thanks.
    I don't, but I have a good friend who is big into American finger-style guitar and uses his nails. He's not on this forum, but I'll shoot your question to him and post his answer.

Bill

A guitarist friend of mine would put clear fingernail polish only on his picking hand to strengthen the nails.

I found an old interview with bassplayer Bunny Brunel, who uses his fingernails and he uses some special kind of nailpolish, or false nails.

My friend just got back to me, here is his reply:

"I would suggest he find a well reviewed nail salon and go there. I get acrylics, though there are other options now with silk wraps and gel wraps. The acrylics are strongest and thus best for me with steel strings. They brush the acrylic coat directly on to my natural nail. Silk or gel might work for a nylon string player. Nail salons are getting used to seeing guitarists and someone at such a salon might be able to suggest whether silk or gel might be best for a classical player. I end up going to the salon once every 3 weeks or so. The acrylics can eventually peel and chip, so good to stay on top of things. Once done at the salon, you can use files and/or sandpaper to get the nail to the desired smoothness for playing with a good tone."

Hope that helps, good luck,

Bill

Many thanks to Sputnik and the others. I had never thought of a nail salon. Acrylic might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    A guitarist friend of mine would put clear fingernail polish only on his picking hand to strengthen the nails.
    I 2nd this possible solution for you.
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    I 2nd this possible solution for you.
    Thanks. I have actually tried that and I used Hard As Nails back in the 80s but neither seemed to help much. I will definitely look into acrylic, though.

Note to Sputnik: Please tell your friend Bill I am very grateful for his advice.

-Llanwydd

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    Note to Sputnik: Please tell your friend Bill I am very grateful for his advice.

-Llanwydd
    I will, he will be pleased to hear it!

Bill

Never had trouble with mine breaking (unless I do something stupid, like incise the nail when cutting up a mango. Yes this has actually happened!) but I highly recommend any classical guitarist invest in one of those good Revlon nail files.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...