Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Pye Fyte - The Gathering of the Krums

FEATURED ALBUM: Pye Fyte - The Gathering of the Krums

Here's a little slice of late 90s AmeriProg, now 20 years removed and wallowing in obscurity. This isn't exactly the most technically perfect album recorded or written, and the vocals take some getting used to, but it has an intent and impudent "charm" that works well imo.

Review from ProgArchives:
    his is another unknown or at the very least, woefully underrated little ditty that furtively pockmark the prog landscape, an offering from New England that features some innovative textures that belie their New World origins. In fact, there is a heavy English undertow, with massive waves of mellotron as well as assorted other keyboards that flirt with the medieval progster-likes of Gryphon, Gentle Giant and the Morrigan but slashing it with a discernibly original taint. So who are these guys? Two, really. Leader John McNamara handles guitars, bass, mellotron, Moog and Hammond with wizardry and aplomb. Drummer Mark Cella keeps things sharp and percussive. They are aided by a few guests (Tim Kelly on passable vocals, Jim Ames on bass and Bruce Alger on soloing synths and organs). Tracks like the supreme "The Return" really have all the proggy goods, with stellar mood and spectral playing, a true treat that is a definite highpoint of this strange hard to peg disc. "Leaves" is equally bizarre, simple melodies swooned by a harsh guitar and romantic cascades of mellotron to give it even more British feel , sort of like a "heavy" Mike Oldfield in a way. The buccaneering organ swells on "The Party" are captivating, the strained vocals less so but the instrumental expertise is just so high quality. But best is saved for last, as the final two epics really blaze proudly in the night, crackling with broad strokes of superb craftsmanship on the 14 minute + "Fields" , such as the swirling synth web and the hulking mellotron passages and some spirited melodies expelled by both the voice and the synths. The soloing starts heating up seriously, infusing a strong cosmic-jam feel that is most delicious, the axe licks particularly intense. Lots of different mood swings on this menu , including some near-punk ranting, breezy fluff and synthesized bliss. "Depth of Time' is the fantastic closer, probably the most engaging track here, with great pacing and atmospheres. All in all, a valid testament to underproduced works that often have more courage and daring than some of those overpolished antiseptic ones. Veeeeery interesting...Keyboard zealots will have to kneel at this shrine for a sec . 3.5 crummy beers - tszirmay

Only track I could find.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Nice enough track. I'll have to pick this up at some point.

Yes, I’ve been curious about this one ever since its release. That track that was posted delivers the goods. I’m definitely going to need to check this out properly at some point.

That review, though. Some people need a serious refresher course in writing. And can we all please agree that “waves” is no substitute for “wash” to describe the sound of a Mellotron? Pretty please, with sugar on it?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Anybody who wants this, I'd suggest you grab it by any means possible. I have the last two unsold copies, plus my shelf copy. There are no more, and never will be.

Somewhere, Mark's widow has the master tapes (yes, this was recorded to tape), but no one seems to know where the glass master or artwork are. I sold the last of these I had to Greg Walker, and neither Melanie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nor John have any more. It's a great album, really a labor of love by those guys. Sad it will forever be a rarity. Guess we could look at putting in Bandcamp or something, but it's not really my call on that.

Sorry for the two posts, I'm typing on my phone.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I have a collector's item. I bought this quite a while ago and I love it. I can't remember how I first heard about it. I may have seen it on the Planet Mellotron site or that the band had a tie to Eccentric Orbit, whose first CD I also really enjoyed (there's a plug for you, Bill). I believe one of Pye Fyte's members had a progressive music CD retail website, and that's where I got my copy along with a bunch of other CDs. Haven't listened to it in a while; now sounds like a good time.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Guess I have a collector's item. I bought this quite a while ago and I love it. I can't remember how I first heard about it. I may have seen it on the Planet Mellotron site or that the band had a tie to Eccentric Orbit, whose first CD I also really enjoyed (there's a plug for you, Bill). I believe one of Pye Fyte's members had a progressive music CD retail website, and that's where I got my copy along with a bunch of other CDs. Haven't listened to it in a while; now sounds like a good time.
    Thanks for the EO plug!

Mark ran M&M Music, and carried a wide variety of Prog. His goal was to expose people to the music he loved. He made a profit, because he was a meticulous businessperson, but it was mostly a labor of love.

Likewise, Pye Fyte was a labor of love for Mark and John. They really went for that classic vibe, real 'Tron, recorded to tape, really trying to be faithful to the 70s ethic. They had to cast out a bit for musicians who could cut various parts (bass, vocals, some keys). The results were a bit mixed, but I think overall the album has a kind of charm to it. I wasn't blown away the first time I heard it, but over time I've really come to enjoy it a lot.

I really wish they had transcribed the lyrics in the booklet. Mark asked me one time what I thought the album was about, and I gave a feeble answer, because honestly I'm not certain. I think there's a big joke in there somewhere (gathering the crumbs, pie fight, etc.). But I'm not sure. It's either way more subtle or way more inane than I'm probably imagining... and from what I know of Mark and John, it may be both.

Anyway, imo, great album. When we talk about reaching back for what the best of 70s Prog had to offer and presenting that in a new, fresh, and creative way, I think Pye Fyte deserves a strong mention.

Bill

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I have this from back when I used order from M&M. Mark ran good sales that were kind of fun. I forget exactly but he had specials each week or discounts on a certain day of the week. Think that made me come back to check often.

I seem to remember the description on the website said the album was about a reunion of the members of the Krum Family.

Bruce Alger, who guests, is the guy who did the Blind Owl album "Debut at Dusk." He was on rec.music.prog back in the good days.

Yeah, Mark and Bruce were friends from way back. Bruce was briefly in Eccentric orbit, but it never got off the ground with him.

Bill

Listening to it now.

The vocals are hard to digest...

Perhaps I owe it a few more listens...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    the band had a tie to Eccentric Orbit, whose first CD I also really enjoyed
    both Eccentric Orbit albums are quite excellent!

Pye Fyte... not digging the vocals at all
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Used to enjoy this quite a bit back in the day, but I haven't listened to it in at least a decade. They were pretty early for reproducing that exact vintage 1971 sound of Beggar's Opera/Bram Stoker/Still Life (whatever) thing.

Need to pull this one out again.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

New to me. It went completely under my radar in 1998. I will investigate further.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I like the vocals. They're not going to win a TV singing contest, but they're pleasant and they fit well.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Listening to it now.

The vocals are hard to digest...

Perhaps I owe it a few more listens...
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    both Eccentric Orbit albums are quite excellent!

Pye Fyte... not digging the vocals at all
    To be fair, this is probably the worst track on the album to showcase the vocals. It also doesn't give a full feel for the album which goes in a few different directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Nor John have any more. It's a great album, really a labor of love by those guys. Sad it will forever be a rarity. Guess we could look at putting in Bandcamp or something, but it's not really my call on that.
    Bandcamp is not a bad idea especially considering the album is long OOP.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I like the vocals. They're not going to win a TV singing contest, but they're pleasant and they fit well.
    Agree!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Sad it will forever be a rarity. Guess we could look at putting in Bandcamp or something, but
    Seeing how the general interest in rarities and obscurities has waned steadily and all the more significantly with the aging "prog" public these past 10-15 years, there's hardly much chance of seeing any of those 90s curiosities in new circulation out there. If there'd been some marginal relation to an already so-called established "prog" act - a member, production-team, artwork designer, admitted influence or endorsement, writeup in some godawful genre magazine - then maybe. But not for the *music* alone.

With "prog" - as with many other stylistic foundations in (once) popular music - it's no longer primarily about the craft itself.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Seeing how the general interest in rarities and obscurities has waned steadily and all the more significantly with the aging "prog" public these past 10-15 years, there's hardly much chance of seeing any of those 90s curiosities in new circulation out there. If there'd been some marginal relation to an already so-called established "prog" act - a member, production-team, artwork designer, admitted influence or endorsement, writeup in some godawful genre magazine - then maybe. But not for the *music* alone.

With "prog" - as with many other stylistic foundations in (once) popular music - it's no longer primarily about the craft itself.
    Eccentric Orbit

It was probably reviewed in Progression and Expose.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

True. My lamentation relates mostly to the CD now being OOP, and as I tend to be very CD focused personally, that makes me sad. In a sense, having something like this on Bandcamp gives it something of a life going forward, it's not like the CD would stay in print forever.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Eccentric Orbit

Both Eccentric Orbit albums were reviewed in Progression and Expose (the second one was a digital only review). Many reviewers did mention the Pye Fyte connection, and I think there was some small bump for Pye Fyte from that. The album has continued to sell at a small rate, to the point where it finally sold out.

Bill

Eccentric Orbit

Jed, I know both facts already. EO are a solid unit but unfortunately not an establshed act as such (except for with the connoisseurs), and neither are the fine P. or E. 'magazines' - they're fanzines. And far more worth a read.

Streamlined dreck with sufficient surface conviction in playing the part of old-time cultural grandness - that's what was needed for the elder to get back in the game and allegedly "rediscover" the "true prog". They obviously wouldn't come near a cellar-produced amateur recording unless the entrance door of the basement contained a magic mirror reflecting their own youth.

Very interesting. First time hearing them. I don't mind the vocals. In fact, I kinda like 'em.
    The Prog Corner

Sputnik/Scrot:

I meant that the Pye Fyte CD was probably reviewed in those mags. Maybe not.

Scrot, you were kind of vague in your post. I sometime forget how cynical you are!

I sometime forget how cynical you are!
    That's your prerogative.

But this wasn't supposed to be too cynical; it's about ascertaining the fact that surprisingly many 90s titles once assumed to attain a certain "classic" stature all but disappeared, arguably due to the fact that as the "genre audience" grew there were all the more old-timers seemingly unacquainted with the post-punk DIY market logistic of productions and standards - thus only a very few 90s act stood any chance of appeal with that lot. Consequently, some of the apparently "best remembered" names of that decade also happen to be less interesting from a purely artistic (and IMO musical) point of view.

I meant that the Pye Fyte CD was probably reviewed in those mags. Maybe not.
    I see, I misunderstood. I do believe that Pye Fyte was reviewed in Progression. John Collinge knew Mark and Bruce, and maybe John. I'm pretty certain he reviewed their CD and that Pye Fyte may have actually done some advertising in Progression. I don't recall about Expose, I'd have to look back at my magazines form that period.

Bill