Thread: Penguin Cafe - The Imperfect Sea

Penguin Cafe - The Imperfect Sea

I've been living with new album from Arthur Jeffes and co. for about a week now. I think it's going to be one of my favourites of the year, and may well appeal to some who did not get on with the original Penguin Cafe Orchestra.

From their web site:

Predominantly self-composed, the new album also features covers of electronic works by Simian Mobile Disco and Kraftwerk, along with a re-working of Simon’s Now Nothing. Arthur has developed from the traditional folk and jazz heritage Penguin Cafe Orchestra is known for into another realm of blissful ambience and dance music, recreated using strictly acoustic elements.

“For this album I wanted to effect a departure from where we’d been up to now. The idea was to create a musical world that would feel familiar to an audience more used to dance records but stay true to our own values. So we replaced electronic layers with real instruments: pads with real string sections, synths with heavily-effected pianos, and atmospheric analogue drones with real feedback loops ringing through a stone and a piano soundboard.”

I wouldn't overstress how much this sounds like a dance record (it really doesn't), but it works for me and certainly has "chillout" qualities, as we used to say in the nineties.

Thanks for the shout out. I'd missed that it was out now.

I dig.Thanks for sharing.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Sounds nice! Sounds like them!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

First time listening...good stuff
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    On my list of stuff to buy soon.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Nice!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Pitchfork reviewed it this morning. They gave it a 6.6. But what do they know?
    The Prog Corner

^ Quite a thoughtful review, though I disagree with much of it.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...imperfect-sea/
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 05-12-2017 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    ... may well appeal to some who did not get on with the original Penguin Cafe Orchestra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F.
    Sounds nice! Sounds like them!
    As someone who "got on" great with the original PCO I was a little hesitant at how well Arthur would channel his late father. Simon Jeffes was nothing if not unpredictable.

I find the new Penguin Cafe has a lot of similarities, even though they are not identical. The new ensemble is a bit more New Agey (in a PCO way) with perhaps less outlandish instrumentation choices. Still, their four albums since Simon's passing -- Live at the Royal Albert Hall (2009), A Matter of Life... (2011), The Red Book (2014) and now The Imperfect Sea (2017) -- all continue the PCO charm and are welcome balm to those of us who miss Simon terribly.

And for anyone who cares, PCO has a new one coming on 6/16 entitled "Umbrella". It's a collab with Japanese artist Cornelius. As a massive fan of both, I cannot wait to hear this!

Great to see that they're still around, but I honestly never heard anything by them which could even come close to touching that 2nd. album of theirs. I saw a string quartet many years ago perform parts of that record, and it struck me as perfectly convertible "post-modernist chamber ambient" - Yeah, corny, I know. Yet for some reason I never had the same positive reaction to their erstwhile output.

I had the same experience with three other 'non-RIO' electrouacoustic 'chamber rock' ensembles, namely Flairck, Gatto Marte and Rachel's; one grand album experience (their first ones, respectively), and then no more for me. Perhaps I just give up too easily on this sort of stuff. I never found the time to dwell much into Aranis, Cro Magnon or DAAU either except for the odd albums I bought from them initially.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    As someone who "got on" great with the original PCO I was a little hesitant at how well Arthur would channel his late father. Simon Jeffes was nothing if not unpredictable.

I find the new Penguin Cafe has a lot of similarities, even though they are not identical. ... all continue the PCO charm and are welcome balm to those of us who miss Simon terribly.
    Yeah, well said. As the reviewer at AAJ put it, whimsy is a tricky thing to really get right, and the PC has less than the PCO. If Arthur doesn't have the same innate sense for playfulness, it's just as well he doesn't force that element but finds his own angle.

The current offshoot's work sometimes reminds me of Union Cafe, in that it was the Orchestra's most 'serious' album in tone. It's not my favorite, but very well-done for what it is, and those first four albums have such a one-of-a-kind magic that they deserve to stand alone anyway.