Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

I put in a small amount of water, but it's more than a few drops.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Thanks man. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with this lot. I Guess if I could swing an 18-year old of something, I would, but they all seem on the verge of "possibly not worth it at that price point", but then again I rarely drink any 18's.
    TBH, I find a huge difference (other than the price) between an 18 or 16 yo compared to 12/10 yo entry levels, unless they've got a wood finish.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's been scientifically proved that drops of water improve the flavor. I generally go with one ice cube.
    an average-sized ice cube is way too much water to add to a dram, IMHO... If looking for a cooler scotch, try the stone cubes that you store in the freezer - or store it in a cooler place (like the wine cellar fridge or in the basement)

I've yet to be convinced that water adds enhances the flavours. I'll investigate more and will try it with the more basic entry-level single malts
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Watching Kelly's Heroes on TV and sipping a McCallan 12 Double Cask. Doesn't get much better than that.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Watching Kelly's Heroes on TV and sipping a McCallan 12 Double Cask. Doesn't get much better than that.
    Maybe substitute a MacCallan 30?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    And Hot Fuzz instead of Kelly's Heroes.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

And Hot Fuzz instead of Kelly's Heroes.
    or Braveheart

Definitely not Braveheart, that movie sux ass
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Maybe substitute a MacCallan 30?
    http://www.totalwine.com/spirits/sco...3&igrules=true

Yikes
    Ian

Yikes
    When we were in Scotland last year, we did a Scotch tasting with a very helpful young woman. She poured us a 1 oz cup and told us to have a sip and rate it on "intensity" from 1 to 10. For whatever number we gave, she added one drop of water and had us try again.

In each case, the added water, usually just 3-5 drops, dramatically increased the flavor and decreased the harsh, alcohol taste. All the better bars we were in had bottles of water with droppers, so I have little question this is accepted practice and drinkers feel a small bit of water improves the taste.

I was very surprised, but this technique served me well while we were in Scotland, and I'd have no hesitation adding a bit of water to a Scotch I find a bit too intense, or even just a drop or two to open up the flavor. Even my favorite Penderyn, which is quite mild, benefits from 2-3 drops, depending on how much I'm having.

So I'm sold on adding water, but its a very incremental thing - a little goes a long way.

Bill

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Ardbeg 10....mmmmm. I added a wee bit of water.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just ordered a double Balvenie straight up at a restaurant (there wasn't much to choose from - it's Heartland Brewery, so not really a place for Scotch), and the waiter brings it to me in a martini glass! WTF? I had him go put it in a rocks glass.

I also got a beer Gettin' relaxed for the Renaissance show next door.

Enjoy the show, Jed!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just ordered a double Balvenie straight up at a restaurant (there wasn't much to choose from - it's Heartland Brewery, so not really a place for Scotch), and the waiter brings it to me in a martini glass! WTF? I had him go put it in a rocks glass.

I also got a beer Gettin' relaxed for the Renaissance show next door.
    Isn't Heartland the place adjacent to the bar we met at before the KC show a few years back? Remember you had a phone call in the bathroom? [cough-cough]

Question about transport of opened bottles ...

I've got (only) two Single Malts buddies that, for some reasons, never come by my place, so I usually go to their places (though Scotch drinking is only a side activity). So I usually bring two bottles (out of the five I usually have in my Brussels pad) so we can discuss and discover each other's bar selection. We end up tasting four or five malts in the spazce of 4 or 5 hours.

I wonder how much damage I am doing in transporting 1/4 or half emptied bottles. In both cases, the return transport is fairly short and done in the trunk of my car,, usually staying vertical; so if it's getting shaken, but not really suffering from heat or cold as if I was biking or walking with them. I take it that the vibrations are shaking the bottles and obviously this is allowing the spirit to let some of the aromas out in the bottle, more than if the bottles never travelled, and they will escape as soon as you take the cork top off. What do you guys think, about transporting your fave bottles?

In case one cares, one of them buddies is retired and almot never goes out of his apartment other than for errants, while the other is younger with almost teen kids kids but we meet for prog/jazz sharing/discovering reasons.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Isn't Heartland the place adjacent to the bar we met at before the KC show a few years back? Remember you had a phone call in the bathroom? [cough-cough]
    There's one over there, but this was a different one, right next to Town Hall. Actually, there's a Heartland Brewery and then this was HB Burger right next to it, which is basically the same but smaller and maybe with a smaller menu. Both are kind of lame, but it's convenient.

Yeah, I was for that KC show, then I sit down in my seat and happen to be seated next to a friend I hadn't seen in a while and had to make conversation! I couldn't wait for the show to start. It was odd though because I've been to a lot of other concerts with him, so it was like the gods knew we were supposed to be sitting next to each other, and neither of us knew the other would be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I've got (only) two Single Malts buddies that, for some reasons, never come by my place, so I usually go to their places (though Scotch drinking is only a side activity). So I usually bring two bottles (out of the five I usually have in my Brussels pad) so we can discuss and discover each other's bar selection. We end up tasting four or five malts in the spazce of 4 or 5 hours.

I wonder how much damage I am doing in transporting 1/4 or half emptied bottles. In both cases, the return transport is fairly short and done in the trunk of my car,, usually staying vertical; so if it's getting shaken, but not really suffering from heat or cold as if I was biking or walking with them. I take it that the vibrations are shaking the bottles and obviously this is allowing the spirit to let some of the aromas out in the bottle, more than if the bottles never travelled, and they will escape as soon as you take the cork top off. What do you guys think, about transporting your fave bottles?

In case one cares, one of them buddies is retired and almot never goes out of his apartment other than for errants, while the other is younger with almost teen kids kids but we meet for prog/jazz sharing/discovering reasons.
    Your good, the transport will do no damage.
    Ian

Sounds like a good way to spend an evening out.

If you cant taste it, no harm is done.
    But if you want to be sure, you should tie a string of russian dog wool round them and repete the following magic words 5 times:

Griezh Inabb Kohftaille Angherr Shisspa

Ginzhem Konbhe Reffkam Kassporrdam

Anyways, we tried the (spring)water drops with a pipette (first four drops added, than a further three after the first sip, if inconclusive) on the four drams last night:
    on Scapa (Orkney islands), none of us were convinced but it did any help
    on the Morangie Nectar d'Or, it was without any effect as well
    on the Glengassaugh (a very peated malt, but not smoky, from the Spey, though it's called a highland malt), it was indeed more a help, making it smoother going down, without destroying the flavour)
    As for the Aberlour 18y, I will never do that again on such a class act of a SM, because it almost desroyed it

Soooo, it was totally inconclusive... two did no change, one helped (rather well in my case, but not as much for the buddy) and on the last case, it was catastrophic

Trane, I doubt damage would be done. Remember these bottles take a beating anyway getting from remote areas of Scotland to your shelf. I would think extreme heat, etc would be more damaging.

...Soooo, it was totally inconclusive... two did no change, one helped (rather well in my case, but not as much for the buddy) and on the last case, it was catastrophic
    Not inconclusive at all, just dependent. Nobody said all whiskey's would benefit from water or that every taste would react the same. It's clear water had some effect for some whiskeys for some of you, that's pretty much what you'd expect. You have to experiment to see what works and what doesn't. I'd generally never add water to a Speyside, or would go with just a very tiny amount. for me, it works better with peatier or more alcohol tasting malts. But mileage varies.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Not inconclusive at all, just dependent. Nobody said all whiskey's would benefit from water or that every taste would react the same. It's clear water had some effect for some whiskeys for some of you, that's pretty much what you'd expect. You have to experiment to see what works and what doesn't. I'd generally never add water to a Speyside, or would go with just a very tiny amount. for me, it works better with peatier or more alcohol tasting malts. But mileage varies.
    I think you could say "not universal" then. I am sort of left where I was when I asked about it a while ago. I have been adding water since that time, but I can't say I can perceive much of a difference consistently to report, especially when considering other factors such as:

- how clean the palette is
    - time of day
    - sinuses
    - dryness of mouth
    - time you've let the dram "breathe"

and other variables.

I would also add that it's my experience that some whiskys taste better the more sips you take (not because you're feeling the effect lol). I had an experience last week with lesser known single malt called "Port Dundas". I found it rather middling at first, but on my second dram found it to be more and more like creamy, candied vanilla and began to enjoy it.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I think you could say "not universal" then. I am sort of left where I was when I asked about it a while ago. I have been adding water since that time, but I can't say I can perceive much of a difference consistently to report, especially when considering other factors such as:

- how clean the palette is
    - time of day
    - sinuses
    - dryness of mouth
    - time you've let the dram "breathe"

and other variables.

I would also add that it's my experience that some whiskys taste better the more sips you take (not because you're feeling the effect lol). I had an experience last week with lesser known single malt called "Port Dundas". I found it rather middling at first, but on my second dram found it to be more and more like creamy, candied vanilla and began to enjoy it.
    I think almost any drink with fairly high alcohol content tastes better with more sips.

I guess I'd agree that the effects of water in whiskey are not universal, but clearly A LOT of people find it helpful, thus the ubiquity of water droppers in Scottish whiskey bars. Personally, I thought it made a big and pretty obvious difference, even in a whiskey to which I wouldn't typically add water. But mileage varies, and some of the variables you mention above might be factors as well.

I'd also add that if you don't feel the water is doing much, you don't need to add it. Why are you adding water when you don't perceive much of a difference?

Bill

I'd also add that if you don't feel the water is doing much, you don't need to add it. Why are you adding water when you don't perceive much of a difference?
    Curiosity. The same reason I might listen to music that isn't in my strike zone. When you add the fact (as you said) that you'll find water droppers in bars implies there IS something to it as opposed to some hipster placebo, so who am I to argue?

But I do agree YMMV. I believe that greatest variable to consistent taste is the actual taster. I could create the same exact conditions two days in a row with the same whisky and have two different experiences.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Trane, I doubt damage would be done. Remember these bottles take a beating anyway getting from remote areas of Scotland to your shelf. I would think extreme heat, etc would be more damaging.
    Yeah, but those bottles exported all over the world have maybe 3 cl of air, so there is very little oxydation and on a very limited surface (unless the bottles are lying on the side)... Whereas wxhen a bottle is half empty, there is as much air as spirit, and vibrations or shaking will increase the surface

Bill
    I totally agree that adding it to a peater (or maybe smokier) malt did more sense than the others.

I
    Absolutely, the first sip can be unpleasant (especiallyif your palate is not ready... or even the oesophagus, FTM), but usually the second swig has more chance, because the first one paved the way

I guess I'd agree that the effects of water in whiskey are not universal, but clearly A LOT of people find it helpful, thus the ubiquity of water droppers in Scottish whiskey bars. Personally, I thought it made a big and pretty obvious difference, even in a whiskey to which I wouldn't typically add water. But mileage varies, and some of the variables you mention above might be factors as well.

Bill
    Hey, I'm not finished my experiments, but I'm not going to go further than 10 drops (a teaspoon) a dram.

Curiosity. The same reason I might listen to music that isn't in my strike zone. When you add the fact (as you said) that you'll find water droppers in bars implies there IS something to it as opposed to some hipster placebo, so who am I to argue?

But I do agree YMMV. I believe that greatest variable to consistent taste is the actual taster. I could create the same exact conditions two days in a row with the same whisky and have two different experiences.
    true enough.

And absolutely, I like experiencing... We both found it amusing last night, even if inconclusive.