Thread: New album Jan Schelhaas featuring Andy Latimer and Caravan-members

New album Jan Schelhaas featuring Andy Latimer and Caravan-members

Just got this Pledge-note in the box: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/janschelhaas

Living on a Little Blue Dot

On February 14 1990 , at the request of astronomer and author Carl Sagan,the Voyager 1 space probe was commanded by NASA to turn its camera around to take one last photograph of Earth before leaving the solar system.

The resulting image taken from a distance of 3.7 billion miles shows the Earth’s apparent size as less than a pixel, a pale blue dot set against the vastness of space.the only home we have ever known or ever will know yet nearly 3 decades later we still seem intent on risking eviction.

While this album may not change anything, I hope, as do all who contribute to it, that, as inspirations go, this is as good a starting point as any.

Musicians involved so far include (in alphabetical order) ;

Doug Boyle ……………lead guitar

Neil Ford………………..rhythm & slide guitar

Jimmy Hastings………..sax flute

Pye Hastings…………. rhythm guitar and b/vocals

Andy Latimer…………. lead guitar

Jan Schelhaas…………to blame for keys & everything else

It looks a bit that most posters here are only interested in the old Canterbury stuff, at least that impression you get when you compare the massive posting Canterbury Binge-thread with this new album featuring members from Canterbury legends Caravan.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I actually went to the Pledgemusic page and checked this out. Sounds kind of good, not certain but I might go for the digital download.

Colin Bass pledged too! Gotta be good ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    It looks a bit that most posters here are only interested in the old Canterbury stuff, at least that impression you get when you compare the massive posting Canterbury Binge-thread with this new album featuring members from Canterbury legends Caravan.
    Not necessarily. There is no real reason to reply to information provided - which we are grateful to recieve btw

As it happens though I have ordered this, when I first saw it advertised before xmas

^ Yep. I ordered it because of this thread, but didn't feel the need to announce it.

Ahh, I hope you understand I was only trying to stimulate this thread by mentioning a favorite thread. But a smiley would have made it too obvious.
    Great to read Jan has got a few buyers from here too!

^ I actually went to the Pledgemusic page and checked this out. Sounds kind of good, not certain but I might go for the digital download
    Seriously my friend "not certain", seems like an auto buy for me, should be for you as well, knowing how much you dig Andrew Latimer.

101 %.

B.t.w., nice to see this site still exists: http://www.cocacamp.nl/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HONDO View Post
    ^ I actually went to the Pledgemusic page and checked this out. Sounds kind of good, not certain but I might go for the digital download
    Seriously my friend "not certain", seems like an auto buy for me, should be for you as well, knowing how much you dig Andrew Latimer.
    Yeah, yeah - I went for the download!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post

Jan Schelhaas…………to blame for keys & everything else
    Programmed drums?

Apparently it seems that the target has been met. Really looking forward to this.

I gave this a first listen last night, and...first impression: It has some decent songs on it, but the production is horrible. Very much a Big 80s vibe at work, imo.

Schellhaus first solo album gave the snoozes.

Got to say that I am enjoying this and finding it quite refreshing.

Some really good honest songs on it and with a kind of easy going, nothing to prove, feel to it.

I must confess I joined the pledge after I heard the very progressive intro of the title-track. Now I have the album and hear it's not really modern progressive rock, I'm still very pleased with it. Indeed, good honest songs, very 80s (I don't mind), but also beautiful playing of all involved (but don't be fooled by the 30 second-solo from Andy Latimer ). And Jan's voice is more singer-songwriter-style than prog, which makes this a quite introvert album.