Thread: Asia Featuring John Payne 2017 Tour

Asia Featuring John Payne 2017 Tour

Thought I'd start this thread separately from the other Asia 2017 tour thread which is getting pretty long. Today they started selling tickets to the show at the Alameda County Fair in the San Francisco Bay Area (of all places!). I got a front row seat because I can't resist going to this concert at such a reasonable price (42.99 or 22.99 for great seats including fair admission). Hope some of you can make it.

https://www.etix.com/ticket/p/496859...da-county-fair

^^^ I couldn't find any info about the tour on the AFJP website, or anywhere else on Google. Do you know of any other dates?

Hey, if YES can do it...

Sorry Arthur's but that's all I kniw

Sorry But that's all I know

Did anyone besides me ever wonder if someone asked Erik Norlander if he could play in Asia featuring John Payne? I can imagine he would answer with: " Well of course,I mean it's not rocket science right?"

I was watching this low-energy 1993 interview with Asia on "Profiles of Success" - good for a chuckle and flashback:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I was watching this low-energy 1993 interview with Asia on "Profiles of Success" - good for a chuckle and flashback:

I hope that guy didn't perform in that hat.

He always "performs" in "that hat"!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Ok, I can never listen to that band. He, Slash, and the guy who sang on Arena's "Smoke and Mirrors" should form a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Did anyone besides me ever wonder if someone asked Erik Norlander if he could play in Asia featuring John Payne? I can imagine he would answer with: " Well of course,I mean it's not rocket science right?"
    Erik is totally done with AJP.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post

This interview reminds of the interviews in "This is Spinal Tap"

why didn't Payne just replace Wetton now that he died---not that I care---but anyone is better than sherwood lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    why didn't Payne just replace Wetton now that he died---not that I care---but anyone is better than sherwood lol
    There's (allegedly) some bad blood between Downes and Payne over the split in 2006. Also, Wetton made some unkind comments about either Payne or AFJP. I don't want to say never, but I doubt there will be a Downes/Payne reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    He doesn't any more. He got over that phase thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    There's (allegedly) some bad blood between Downes and Payne over the split in 2006. Also, Wetton made some unkind comments about either Payne or AFJP. I don't want to say never, but I doubt there will be a Downes/Payne reunion.
    There's very definitely bad blood between them. Payne absolutely detests Downes now, best I can make out, although Schellen, of course, moved from AFJP to playing with Downes in Yes.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Posted this before but an article by Dave Ling, 5/6 years before the original band reformed- let's just say Wetton does not pull punches RE; Payne and Downes using Howe/Palmer:

http://www.daveling.co.uk/doc-asia.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Posted this before but an article by Dave Ling, 5/6 years before the original band reformed- let's just say Wetton does not pull punches RE; Payne and Downes using Howe/Palmer:

http://www.daveling.co.uk/doc-asia.htm
    Ah, John in his alcoholic hate-fueled days. He really mellowed after he kicked the bottle.

Bizarre to see Kalodner mentioned so much in this article... considering he was on the cover of GPS's only album. There's something weird about that that I don't have the time or the interest to sort out.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

just back from the show enjoyable enough. 50/50 ratio of payne era vs wetton era, that is actually better than i hoped given a fair. was surprised we didn't get any of the covers from their recent album. the confusion of whether it was actually asia or not definitely existed I was looking at the bunnies after and a fellow asked me if I had seen asia in the old days and I said I saw them about ten years ago for my first time and he mentioned he was surprised there were no original members he had looked online and seen that carl palmer and geoff downes were still in it. so I had to explain the situation.

additionally confusion on who is in AFJP I saw a guy in a spock's beard shirt I figure he was there for ryo. and sadly for both him and me ryo and jimmy keegan were not present. instead it was (forgive me if i misspell there names as they are listed nowhere that I can see on the AFJP website or facebook) drums Johnny filovic keyboardist Jamie hoseman, they were fine nothing stood out particularly except on the start of sole survivor where the guitars pause and theres a keyboard note it sounded really tinny and weak not sure what happened but kinda ruined the start for me.

the venue was sadly quite low attended for a free show seems odd they couldn't get it filled up when original asia last came around they sold a decent amount of paid tickets but people won't come out to the fair on a saturday night? maybe people do read more than just asia and do some research.

overall can't complain given it was free with the fair and they did do a decent performance.

here is the full setlist if you are interested the same batch of wetton tunes less don't cry and I think the same payne songs except maybe desire I do not recall seeing last time they were around. side note no mention of wetton's passing and no real admittance that he wasn't on the older tunes he made a mistake saying who will stop the rain came out in 82 then corrected himself saying 92 and he must have been using something in those ten years bit of a joke yes but does kinda make it seem as if he were around with asia in 82...

Long way from home
    only time will tell
    who will stop the rain
    silent nation
    days like these
    desire
    go
    time again
    different worlds
    military man
    heat of the moment
    sole survivor.